Vox Populi Civilizations Compatibility Request Thread

Thanks so much! I am away from my computer for until the end of the month, but will let you know how it goes as soon as I'm able.

Any chance someone could do Sukritact's Chinookan Civilization?

From what I can tell, everything works fine other than the UB. The issue with it is that it somehow uses the base game lighthouse as its base instead of the buffed CBP one. This is actually quite a big issue since in CBP lighthouses provide sea connections ( while harbours no longer do so ) so a Chinookan player can't connect cities via the sea at all.

EDIT: There is another small issue where fish that are revealed after your borders already extend over that tile won't get the free fishing boats, but I don't really care about this and it seems a way more difficult fix than the UB one so I'd be fine with this issue persisting in the fixed version.

Last edited:
I've never played that cig. Are the salmon and orca luxuries? Would you also need to consider monopolies and corporations? Based on their migration mechanic, the chinook are the only ones ones who would be able to keep the luxury on a city capture so maybe you can ignore it...

You would have to make monopolies effects for them

I've never played that cig. Are the salmon and orca luxuries? Would you also need to consider monopolies and corporations? Based on their migration mechanic, the chinook are the only ones ones who would be able to keep the luxury on a city capture so maybe you can ignore it...
Yeah, they are. I completely forgot about that part :/ Sorry.

EDIT: This should deal with adding monopolies for Salmon and Orca.
Code:
INSERT INTO Resource_YieldChangeFromMonopoly
    (ResourceType, YieldType, Yield)
    ('RESOURCE_MC_SALMON', 'YIELD_FOOD', 3),
    ('RESOURCE_MC_ORCA', 'YIELD_CULTURE', 2);

UPDATE Resources
    SET IsMonopoly = '1'
    WHERE Type = 'RESOURCE_MC_SALMON';
UPDATE Resources
    SET IsMonopoly = '1'
    WHERE Type = 'RESOURCE_MC_ORCA';

UPDATE Resources
    SET Help = 'TXT_KEY_RESOURCE_MONOPOLY_YIELD_FOOD'
    WHERE Type = 'RESOURCE_MC_SALMON';

UPDATE Resources
    SET Help = 'TXT_KEY_RESOURCE_MONOPOLY_YIELD_CULTURE'
    WHERE Type = 'RESOURCE_MC_ORCA';

As far as corps are concerned I think these changes to the Corporations.xml are all that should be required, but I don't know how to change another mods xml files from the Chinookan mod so I'm stumped.

To be added to <Corporation_ResourceMonopolyOrs>
Code:
<Row>
    <CorporationType>CORPORATION_LANDSEA_EXTRACTORS</CorporationType>
    <ResourceType>RESOURCE_MC_ORCA</ResourceType>
</Row>
<Row>
    <CorporationType>CORPORATION_HEXXON_REFINERY</CorporationType>
    <ResourceType>RESOURCE_MC_SALMON</ResourceType>
</Row>
To be added to <Corporation_ResourceYieldChanges>
Code:
<Row>
    <ResourceType>RESOURCE_MC_SALMON</ResourceType>
    <YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
    <Yield>1</Yield>
</Row>
<Row>
    <ResourceType>RESOURCE_MC_ORCA</ResourceType>
    <YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
    <Yield>1</Yield>
</Row>

Last edited:
You should make them not disappeared on capture

There's some things about the CBP that are different from the base game which would need to be talked about:

CBP makes it so fish are revealed at trapping, whereas they are visible from the start in vanilla. The Chinook UA's ability to immediately improve sea resources is nerfed pretty badly by this. Probably nothing worth fixing, but revealing fish could be moved to the agriculture tech for the Chinook as part of the UA.

I assume the UU would replace workboats at the fishing tech, which doesn't exist in BNW.

Because all civs get the dromon in CBP, that's a slight nerf to the Esquai-ah, but because triremes and dromons are pushed back into the classical era in CBP, this makes the Chinook the only civ with a naval military unit in the ancient era, which is a pretty major buff if you have the early production to take advantage of it.

I find it odd that the plankhouse doesn't offer any reward for in-land cities other than the trade route buff on rivers. You aren't going to want the trade routes on a non-coastal city anyways, so why would you have this building unlocked for fresh water if it doesn't do anything? I would add +1 food to lakes and river tiles (essentially a weaker version of the Aztec Chinampa), and give the building a 10% population carry-over, or some other general effect.

Regarding the unique luxuries disappearing as a unique aspect to the civ, I actually like it. That would make this the only civ which has exclusive access to specific monopolies, which can't be taken through any means. I've made a short comparison to Indonesia's comparable situation below:

Things that are better than Indonesia:
You can passively attain more luxuries as long as you have open sea resource tiles, you don't need to build more cities
Your cities permanently lose their unique luxuries on capture by other civs, so you can't lose monopolies through conquest by other civs

Things that are worse than Indonesia:
1 less unique luxury than Indonesia (fewer monopolies, fewer trade options with other civs)
To keep the luxuries you need to park Esquai-ah on top of them, which is costly in unit maintenance
Invading armies can erase your luxury tiles by killing your boats. This makes blockades a major setback for this civ, even without ever losing a city.
The necessity of having unstackable 4 str boats plugging up your harbours makes defense very difficult as soon as you leave the classical. Effectively defending your cities might require selling off your UUs as soon as your city is blockaded, just so your own units can move and defend.

If you made them static on capture, that would undermine/punish the chinook civ, whose only special ability seems to be the retention of those two unique monopolies. You would create a situation where other civs are able to exploit the salmon migrations better than the chinook can.

To counter the downsides of getting drowned in unit maintenance and the heavy cost of a defensive naval war, I submit that the salmon and orca monopolies should be strong. Like, best in the game strong.

CBP makes it so fish are revealed at trapping, whereas they are visible from the start in vanilla. The Chinook UA's ability to immediately improve sea resources is nerfed pretty badly by this. Probably nothing worth fixing, but revealing fish could be moved to the agriculture tech for the Chinook as part of the UA.

Yeah, it kind of forces you to do trapping first, but it's not that big of a deal, especially since a new coastal lux was added ( Corals ) and luxs show up on gamestart ( at least by default ).

I assume the UU would replace workboats at the fishing tech, which doesn't exist in BNW.

This actually works fine since Vox happened to not have changed the xml tag for the tech which unlocks fishing boats even if it changed its name.

I find it odd that the plankhouse doesn't offer any reward for in-land cities other than the trade route buff on rivers. You aren't going to want the trade routes on a non-coastal city anyways, so why would you have this building unlocked for fresh water if it doesn't do anything? I would add +1 food to lakes and river tiles (essentially a weaker version of the Aztec Chinampa), and give the building a 10% population carry-over, or some other general effect.

Yeah, it's kind of meh for inland cities. It's that way in vanilla as well. However it gives you massive early growth if you start near a couple of coastal resources. I wouldn't mind it being given a boost, but I don't feel it's neccessary.

Regarding the unique luxuries disappearing as a unique aspect to the civ, I actually like it. That would make this the only civ which has exclusive access to specific monopolies, which can't be taken through any means. I've made a short comparison to Indonesia's comparable situation below:

Things that are better than Indonesia:
You can passively attain more luxuries as long as you have open sea resource tiles, you don't need to build more cities
Your cities permanently lose their unique luxuries on capture by other civs, so you can't lose monopolies through conquest by other civs

Things that are worse than Indonesia:
1 less unique luxury than Indonesia (fewer monopolies, fewer trade options with other civs)
To keep the luxuries you need to park Esquai-ah on top of them, which is costly in unit maintenance
Invading armies can erase your luxury tiles by killing your boats. This makes blockades a major setback for this civ, even without ever losing a city.
The necessity of having unstackable 4 str boats plugging up your harbours makes defense very difficult as soon as you leave the classical. Effectively defending your cities might require selling off your UUs as soon as your city is blockaded, just so your own units can move and defend.

The mod description doesn't make this clear, but if you look at the code it actually can't spawn more than 1 salmon or orca per city.

The mod description doesn't make this clear, but if you look at the code it actually can't spawn more than 1 salmon or orca per city.

Oh that SUCKS then. That limit should be removed then, full stop. Chinook is way below the CBP power curve if all its UA does is give 2 new tile spawns per city

Oh that SUCKS then. That limit should be removed then, full stop. Chinook is way below the CBP power curve if all its UA does is give 2 new tile spawns per city
I would be completely fine with just the lighthouse fix. It's currently unplayable because of the happiness problems from isolation

Oh if that's the case, simply adding
Code:
<AllowsWaterRoutes>true</AllowsWaterRoutes>
into the .xml file containing the plankhouse should solve that

i downloaded all the CBO civs from steam workshop, loaded them up in mods. but what i get is the normal vanilla version of them not CBO version. can someone tells me why this is happening?

i downloaded all the CBO civs from steam workshop, loaded them up in mods. but what i get is the normal vanilla version of them not CBO version. can someone tells me why this is happening?
Maybe because you need to activate both versions at once ???

Attachments

• CivilizationV_DX11_2017_09_25_21_20_29_168.jpg
    CivilizationV_DX11_2017_09_25_21_20_29_168.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 184
I said database logging. Not your mod list.

So I decided to actually fix everything about this Civ as a small excersize in Lua. I fully fixed the Plankhouse, added the generic VP ranged naval units promotions to the Esquai-ah, fixed the fish not getting fishing boats if already in borders when Trapping is discovered, added monopolies and corporation hook ups to Orca and Salmon and rewrote all the text files to match.

I'm now trying to decide what the appropriate power level for the UA is. I currently made it so the maximum number of added resources scale with era and is semi-random. Something to the tune of 2-2-3-3-3-4-4 per city maximum and minimums depending on whether the city is your capital ( +1), whether it has a plankhouse ( +1 ), and whether it is on a river ( +1 ). If your minimum value is higher than your maximum value it will ignore any minimum value that goes over the maximum value. I've also made it so you only need one Esquai-ah stationed on one resource to block migration for that city regardless of the number of resources present. Do you think this is reasonable or is it still too bad for VP?

EDIT: The monopolies I've added are +3food/+2culture to Salmon/Orca

Last edited:
Top Bottom