1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vox Populi Wonders Expanded

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by Infixo, Dec 7, 2017.

?

Would you like to play with more Wonders in Vox Populi?

1. Yes, but make all Wonders more unique and not easily obtainable

72 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Yes, catch them all, the more the better

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. No, Vox Populi has enough Wonders already

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. MidnightAfterglow

MidnightAfterglow Chieftain

Just installed this mod. I have a first-impression balance suggestion. In my opinion, the Karnak wonder is extremely over-powered. Free monument, +1 :c5faith: faith AND +1 :c5production: production on flood plains / oasis. This is simply way too strong early game if you have a capital city in a region that has 3+ floodplains/oasis! These perks are even stronger than the Spirit of the Oasis pantheon belief (+1 :c5production: production, +1 :c5faith: faith, +1:c5gold: gold on desert tiles with improved resources and +3 :c5food: food from oases). Flood plains and oases are already very strong tiles as is, but giving them inherent faith and production is putting them on steroids.

Even if you have only 3 flood plains, your capital city can work those tiles from the get-go without having to sacrifice anything (since presence of tiles improvements and/or resources are not prerequisites for receiving the bonuses, and the tiles provide good yields to begin with), and you will be able to generate 1.5x the amount of faith as founding a second city and building a shrine within it nets you, something that will take many more turns to accomplish and at the same time force you to halt growth and infrastructure development in your capital.

If you are lucky enough to have 4 floodplains/oasis, which is not that uncommon if you have a desert spawn, you will have surpassed the amount of faith that building the Stonehenge wonder would have granted you within 25 turns, on top of getting +4 :c5production: production basically for free/part of the package, AND you even get a free monument, so the +1 :c5culture: culture Stonehenge provides is trivial/moot since one often builds these wonders prior to monument anyway. Karnak is simply too strong even under common, unextraordinary situations, let alone if you manage to spawn in a region that has 5 and 6+ floodplains/oasis, at which point it will snowball to an outrageous extent.

I propose something more along the following:

Karnark
    City must have Flood Plains or an Oasis nearby.
    Free Monument in this city.
    +1 :c5greatperson: Great Engineer Points and +1 :c5faith: Faith
    +1 :c5faith: Faith and +1 :c5production: Production from Oasis
    +1 :c5production: Production for Flood Plains when improved with a farm and +1 :c5faith: Faith for every 3 Flood Plains worked by the city.
    +4 :tourism: Tourism with Flight.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. maptap

maptap Chieftain

HI. I love this mod! I was wondering, how do I modify the mod so no wonders need flat terrain or hills? Thanks!

3. hokath

hokath King

@maptap Go to the SQL folder of the mod, VPWE_Buildings.sql, delete the lines 189 to 208 and then save :)

4. maptap

maptap Chieftain

Thanks!

5. maptap

maptap Chieftain

After deleting those lines no wonders from this mod show in game. What am I doing wrong?

6. hokath

hokath King

Not sure. Try clearing the cache. Also check Database.log

7. mikes61293

mikes61293 Warlord

I'm going to reiterate some of the other comments on here that Karnak is too strong and Nazca Lines is too weak. Karnak is +2 yields on an already good tile plus a free building. Nazca is +1 yield, plus a slight faith gain that takes a while to ramp up and no free building.

8. ridjack

ridjack King

Forge of Damascus is causing my city to claim I don't have enough Iron and hike up maintenance costs by 2%, despite having an unused copy of iron:

Spoiler :

9. ridjack

ridjack King

For everyone still posting here, pretty sure this mod is un-maintained right now. @Infixo hasn't posted here since about January, and a quick peek at his profile indicates he's probably moved on to Civ 6 for the time being.

10. KittyKat3120

KittyKat3120 Chieftain

Does this mean this mod is no longer usable (balanced enough)?
    Or is there a way for the community to continue updating the mod...?

11. ridjack

ridjack King

It's starting to have some bugs here and there. It's as balanced or unbalanced as it's ever been, no major differences there AFAIK.

As for updates, that'd be up to @Infixo and whoever is interested in maintaining it. To my knowledge there isn't a whole lot of interest in it on here, so it seems unlikely anyone would be willing to take on the workload.

12. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

There is. This Mod is a model for all the others. Well Coded, well structured and flexible.
    If you look at VPWE_Auto.sql, in a minute you can disable the Wonder(s) that bother you.

Why not you ?
    It would be a good start to learn a bit about how to mod

13. ridjack

ridjack King

Don't misunderstand me, I love the mod. It's been a staple in my games since I first found it as one of only two "balance-affecting" mods I'll use. (The other being 3/4UC.)

Without getting too personal, I'm not in a place in my life where I can feel comfortable taking on a task like that. I've gotten my feet wet in the past, and sometime in the future writing/editing mods will almost certainly catch my interest in a big way, but right now I simply don't have the mental or emotional capacity to learn on and take over anything other people would want to use.

14. ProCatGamer

ProCatGamer Chieftain

Hi so I'm a code illiterate noob but I really don't want to see another one of Infixo amazing mod "not stand the test of time" like his amazing enlightenment era mod :(

So I've tried with the best of abilities to update both the Karnak and Nazca Lines Wonder :)
    The Karnak now gives +1 faith and +1 production when 2 flood plains are being worked instead of just 1 flood plains tile (wanted to do the farm thing as suggested above but couldn't seem to do it?)
    The Nazca Lines now give an additional +1 faith to plains together with it's +1 food (this is to stay true to it being it's theorised purpose of ritual to gods)

Attached Files:

adan_eslavo and Asterix Rage like this.
  15. hokath

hokath King

There's no straightforward way to do that; your change is more straightforward anyway.

16. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

@ ProCatGamer

Next time you'll make an update of (9)WE, Could you please integrate this damn it unique Icon I made for it a long time ago. So I can delete the page. I need it for something else actually. Thx

17. ProCatGamer

ProCatGamer Chieftain

Oh I didn't know there was an unique icon mod with this :undecide:
    Sry!

18. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

19. ProCatGamer

ProCatGamer Chieftain

I've been trying to incorporate your amazing icon into this mod however I can't seem to do it :( sry @Asterix Rage

If someone can help with this department I would be v grateful for your help :bowdown:

20. Cat-du-fromage

Cat-du-fromage Warlord

here is the code i use to modify icon for those from Asterix's promo icons (if it is what you asked for^^)

UPDATE UnitPromotions SET IconAtlas = 'extraPromo_Atlas' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_UBOAT';
    UPDATE UnitPromotions SET PortraitIndex = '28' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_UBOAT';