• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

VoxPopuli Modpacks (last update: 4.7.3)

I do not understand why it isn't the case for me :(
Do you go to late game (I mean Industrial era +) ?
Yes, we have no issues and can go to any era so far (up until Modern is how far we've gone in our games before ending the game due to one of us giving up). All we do is basically to clear cache before we start each session.
It just works and provides a stable game including in Industrial Era with huge AI armies on the map. Perhaps there is an increased number of chat message pings, but even then that is all that really happens. There are no crash issues or weird transformations of units or teleports or anything abnormal at all.

Our client pings are 23ms for the closest client and 103ms for the farthest client (- two of us are located closely in California and the third player is in Calgary, Canada). So we are not in Europe.

Map type might perhaps have something to do with it. Maybe some map scripts might yield issues.

We prefer the "For VP maps", but we have also played Small Continents Plus with no issues.
We did notice once that starting on a Continents Plus (large or perhaps huge) generated a map with no resource tiles, so we quit that map.

Edit:
And when I say clear cache I mean deleting all of these files and subfolders, so that the cache folder becomes void. Then we run Civ5.
1716243917760.png

My DLC folder looks like this:
1716244022999.png

Last edited:
We have advanced a bit today in the 4.6.2_SSEM_NoEUI game. Only a few chat pings so far and no sync saves or any problems. So it is very stable. One other stability reason (perhaps) is that we use Steam for the MP games. This is a King level game. Pacal is strongly in the lead. He has a big nice continent for himself. Plus he invaded my place. It'll be hard to take his town though since it is protected by mountains.

1716264613409.png

Thank you for the detailed report! Just a last question: how many turns do you do in a row? I get the CTDs after something like 40-60 turns (Quick speed) in a row in late game. If I do small session I do not have any crashes (which is logical because when we load a game to the host state no more desyncs run in the back).

Thank you for the detailed report! Just a last question: how many turns do you do in a row? I get the CTDs after something like 40-60 turns (Quick speed) in a row in late game. If I do small session I do not have any crashes (which is logical because when we load a game to the host state no more desyncs run in the back).
You're welcome! Our session lengths do vary but when we have had time (in the weekend) we have had straight 6 hour sessions (no breaks). That accounts for around 200 turns (more than 200 if we started the game from scratch because the early turns are faster). Since there have been no crashes, session length has had no effect on the stability in my experience. We never played quick pace though. We have played one Standard (500 turn limit) and one marathon and the rest are all on Epic (750 turn limit) speed.

Last edited:
Yes, we have no issues and can go to any era so far (up until Modern is how far we've gone in our games before ending the game due to one of us giving up). All we do is basically to clear cache before we start each session.
It just works and provides a stable game including in Industrial Era with huge AI armies on the map. Perhaps there is an increased number of chat message pings, but even then that is all that really happens. There are no crash issues or weird transformations of units or teleports or anything abnormal at all.

Our client pings are 23ms for the closest client and 103ms for the farthest client (- two of us are located closely in California and the third player is in Calgary, Canada). So we are not in Europe.

Map type might perhaps have something to do with it. Maybe some map scripts might yield issues.

We prefer the "For VP maps", but we have also played Small Continents Plus with no issues.
We did notice once that starting on a Continents Plus (large or perhaps huge) generated a map with no resource tiles, so we quit that map.

Edit:
And when I say clear cache I mean deleting all of these files and subfolders, so that the cache folder becomes void. Then we run Civ5.
View attachment 691630

My DLC folder looks like this:
View attachment 691631
With regards to the chat message pings, do you just continue the game without reloading or resyncing it? I'm asking because my friend and I are using the exact same modpack as you guys (4.6.2 without EUI), but as the game progresses, these chat pings have started occurring literally every single turn. At which point we reload the autosave of that turn, but this takes super long because the first turn transition after reloading a save takes ages for us (we're talking at least 3 minutes). It would be amazing if we could just disregard these desync messages without any serious consequences.

With regards to the chat message pings, do you just continue the game without reloading or resyncing it? I'm asking because my friend and I are using the exact same modpack as you guys (4.6.2 without EUI), but as the game progresses, these chat pings have started occurring literally every single turn. At which point we reload the autosave of that turn, but this takes super long because the first turn transition after reloading a save takes ages for us (we're talking at least 3 minutes). It would be amazing if we could just disregard these desync messages without any serious consequences.
We always just continue regardless of the desync messages. Sometimes we go through 50-60 turns with them appearing every single turn. Never had any serious consequences.

Just my 2 cents, the crash rate increases when the mod is played in higher resolution.
Well I don't really know because they are not the "common" memory crashes when opening the techtree for example, it always happens for non host player at the very start of a turn.

When I look at the log it seems to me that the game resync itself (loading screen) when the Host is desynced with other humans players. But not when other "non host AI players" are desynced with "host AI players". So the desyncs accumulate for non host players AI and the game end up to crash if no resyncs are done.
It would be really cool if the desync messages say if its a unit or not that is desynced so we could force resync when it happens. Also it would be cool to add the force resync button in non-eui version.

Last edited:
We disregard them completely. They don't really have any effect on gameplay. Every 300 turns or so there will be a sync save but it is a good thing and doesn't hurt the game stability.

Last edited:
Hi you can test this modpack:

Good luck !
Hi, glad to see you're still active in this thread!

I'd like to check a detail of the pack you've mentioned, the file there is a ZMP_MODSPACK.
Is it different from a regular MP_MODSPACK?

From what I know, ZMP_ is for the Vox Populi version.
Would it be compatible without Vox Populi if I just renamed it to MP_MODSPACK?

Been playing modded Civ 5 multiplayer a lot with a friend recently and am very impressed by how much smarter the AI is when testing the Community Patch in singleplayer,
not looking to play VP at the moment and want the AI improvements.

Are there any steps I would have to take to get our Civ 5 clients ready for ZMP_MODSPACK? If so, may I have a link to some instructions as to how to get it done?

Thanks in advance if you do feel like helping me out!

I have just renamed my MP_MODPACK to ZMP_MODPACK so it is easier to see it in the DLC folder. You can follow the installation instructions on the first post. Only one modpack at a time. No need to load voxpopuli throughout the Civ5 modmenu.

I have just renamed my MP_MODPACK to ZMP_MODPACK so it is easier to see it in the DLC folder. You can follow the installation instructions on the first post. Only one modpack at a time. No need to load voxpopuli throughout the Civ5 modmenu.

I've tested 3.10.14_CP_only and couldn't get it to work with this mod that adds Civs.

Game would crash before loading to main menu if I tried copying and overwriting the files from 3.10.14 into a functional tested modpack.
If I tried the other other way round of copying but not overwriting the files, the game wouldn't detect any mods.

Am I doing something wrong? I can't quite use the CreateMP () method in this example for that CP version because its not on the workshop (or should I manually move it to documents mods folder?).

I have done a 4.7.3 modpack for multiplayer with all multiplayer fixes by axatin, but I prefer to test it a little before posting it.

Multiplayer fixes sounds interesting, looking forward to when you post them!
They are already integrated into the 4.6.2 modpack that I created: "4.6.2_SSEMSU-NoEUI.zip". I started with this version because it is the most tested version for multiplayer.

I've tested 3.10.14_CP_only and couldn't get it to work with this mod that adds Civs.

Game would crash before loading to main menu if I tried copying and overwriting the files from 3.10.14 into a functional tested modpack.
If I tried the other other way round of copying but not overwriting the files, the game wouldn't detect any mods.

Am I doing something wrong? I can't quite use the CreateMP () method in this example for that CP version because its not on the workshop (or should I manually move it to documents mods folder?).
Hi, you can't add more mod to a modpack, you have to do the whole process from scratch to create it. And some mods are not compatible with multiplayer, including some new civs.

Tested 3.10.14_CP_only for multiplayer and it didn't work out.

Was going okay until turn 225 (Industrial Era) where the game would consistently crash to desktop whenever I ended the turn as host.
Also had a weird bug where my friend had -3 coal upon learning Industrialisation, so Coal wasn't used or traded prior.

Suspect it has something to do with City-States, I paid a CS that had Coal that was allied to him, started building my factories and he paid to ally it again, I then outbid him again and he outbid me again, afterwhich I didn't outbid him because I didn't want to spend more than 2k gold on a CS at that point.

Few turns later when he researched Industrialisation, he noticed he had -3 Coal lol.
Turns progressed for a bit until it crashed and kept crashing upon ending turn.

Tested 3.10.14_CP_only for multiplayer and it didn't work out.

Was going okay until turn 225 (Industrial Era) where the game would consistently crash to desktop whenever I ended the turn as host.
Also had a weird bug where my friend had -3 coal upon learning Industrialisation, so Coal wasn't used or traded prior.

Suspect it has something to do with City-States, I paid a CS that had Coal that was allied to him, started building my factories and he paid to ally it again, I then outbid him again and he outbid me again, afterwhich I didn't outbid him because I didn't want to spend more than 2k gold on a CS at that point.

Few turns later when he researched Industrialisation, he noticed he had -3 Coal lol.
Turns progressed for a bit until it crashed and kept crashing upon ending turn.
Thank for the report, sadly not a lot of people use CP only and even less in multiplayer. If you crash is repeatable please create an issue report on GitHub.

Top Bottom