Walk ! Don't Walk !

sysyphus said:
He he, I saw your original thread Marla, you had me fooled that it was New York up until I saw the picture with the building with Areva on it, that was a dead giveaway. :)
Yeah the 10 first pictures could have been really taken in NYC. Except of course if you're an expert in the Statue of Liberty and find out the little differences (outside than the size which isn't visible on pictures).

However, there are numerous hints in the pictures of the second serie. For instance, the little guys from the pedestrian lights or, even more obvious, the French license plates (and cars) on the third pictures from the bottom. Finally the last picture is here to give the answer.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the opposite could be done, I mean giving the impression you're in Paris from NYC pictures. I've already seen pictures from Buenos Aires which were pretending to be from Paris and despite having lived all my life here I really believed it. :)

Your boyfriend is quite a good photographer, is he a professional?
Unfortunately, it's not my boyfriend who has taken those pics. I've found actually that thread in which there was all the pictures. The guy pretended it was NYC and I fell into the trap, so I wanted to share this experiment with you guys. :)

blindside said:
The pictures feel to empty to be New York.
Well considering most pictures are only showing the top of buildings from a close angle, I hardly see your point.

By the way, Paris is twice denser than New York is. There are 10,236 inhabitants per square kilometer in New York when there are 20,424 inhab/km² in Paris. ;)

There's only one of NYC boroughs which is denser than Paris, and it is of course Manhattan with 26,965 inhab./km² (not really far more than Paris actually).

But thats because alot of places in central new york are business, not housing, whereas you'll find homes in nearly every area of paris, or at least the areas ive seen on my travels.
Also, it doent help having to be a multi-millionaire to afford more than a 1 room apartment in manhatten. :p

farting bob said:
But thats because alot of places in central new york are business, not housing, whereas you'll find homes in nearly every area of paris, or at least the areas ive seen on my travels.
Also, it doent help having to be a multi-millionaire to afford more than a 1 room apartment in manhatten. :p
First, there are also tons of business in Central Paris so I hardly see your point. Second, even if you take only Manhattan, there are huge areas of Manhattan which are residential (Uptown, Chelsea, Greenwich, etc...).

Paris isn't really less dense than New York is. However, NYC is at least twice more populated than Paris, that's a given. All figures are proving this. Even West Suburbs of Paris such as the 92 department (where I live) are denser than the Queens in New York.

Of course, that doesn't prove much as those west suburbs in Paris would be considered as belonging to the center in any cities of the world so I'm a bit playing with stats in saying so. However the thing remains that population density in Paris isn't that far from population density in NYC. Paris is a lot denser than London is for instance. However, London is more populated than Paris because the city area spreads wider.

Here's a little table illustrating my point :

I've added the datas of Paris neighbouring suburbs to be fair. Indeed, Paris is really only the center of the city. Paris plays about the same role in its area than Manhattan does in New York City. So as you can see, Paris is indeed less dense than New York is if you consider the "petite couronne" (name given to those neighbouring suburbs) as belonging to Paris.

Those pictures from instance, hadn't been taken in Paris in itself, but in the Hauts-de-Seine, its west suburbs :

Top Bottom