Destination Africa: Tanzania

Vast empty spaces are not to everyone's liking, but the Serengeti so vast and beautiful. Then the animals appear.

Spoiler :

Here we are looking for leopards. they like trees where they can rest and hang the kills and be safe from hyenas.

looking for leopards.JPEG

Places like this which dot the landscape are home to both leopards and lions. Leopards are solitary and lions gather in prides.

Rock terrain.JPEG

Spoiler :

Dik Diks 2.JPEG

Hippo 2.JPEG

Young bull elephant.

Then it was off to Kati Kati for the night.

Spoiler :

My tent at Kati Kati. Electricity, no outlets, no internet, toilet, sink, bucket shower with hot water upon request. Dining tent had both internet (slow) and charging outlets. Tall pipe at the back is for hanging the water bucket for the shower. Hyenas passing through at night were the only real noises other than the wind.

Kati Kati tent.JPEG

Kati Kati Camp.JPEG

Central Serengeti: For less wind noise, turn off the sound.

Last edited:
For many critters getting close is a problem either because they just run away or it is not wise to do.

For others, proximity is not a problem. This cheetah mom has three young kittens.

After some time under the tree, moma thought it might be time to go hunting.

Later that day.

Spoiler :

Elephant and baby.JPEG

We spent a couple of hours waiting for a leopard to appear. It was feasting on a kill on the ground beneath a tree, but refused to show itself so we gave up and headed to the camp. there were other vehicles there that came and went. Some stayed after we left.

Sunset at the camp:

Sunset at Kati Kati.JPEG

While hanging out prior to dinner I struck up a conversation about our failed attempt to see the leopard. He was a guy from AZ and told me that he was there too but had stayed pretty long and saw the leopard. He snapped a picture or two when it climbed the tree with its kill. He sent it to me. The dead animal is behind the cat to the right. He had a telephoto lens.

Leopard in tree.JPG

Last edited:
While hyenas are common, we rarely saw any. I heard them at night though. Here is one I caught making its way across our path.

And some impalas.

This was my last day in the Central Serengeti and the next morning we left Kati Kati camp for the Northern Serengeti.

At this time of year the Great migration of wildebeests and zebras is in the norther Serengeti making their way towards Kenya. On the map below Kati Kati camp was just to the right of the word "Apr" and my guide and I explored the area around the words "Serengeti national Park". You can see the location of the Ngorongoro Crater in the lower right. This ongoing migration of 1.5 million wildebeests and zebras follows the rain and never actually stops. The herds can stretch 40 km long and almost as wide as they make their way around the circuit. The predators do not migrate with the herds, but have their own territories and wait for the herds to arrive. There are always critters around for them catch. The migration just makes it much easier. You will note that the crater is outside of the migration path but the grass eaters can and do come and go from its walled garden. You will notice that the Kenya side is much smaller and has a much more limited calendar option. If you choose to cross the border in either direction an additional visa is required.

Great Migration.gif

The next few posts are about getting to the Northern Serengeti. To do so we had to leave the Park. This map shows how we went. From Kati Kati we drove to the park exit near Fort Ikoma, lower red circle. We drove through Ft. Ikoma and to the town of Mugumu, the blue circle, for fuel and water to drink and re entered the park at the Tabora B Gate, red circle. This area is outside the Park but still has protections. As you will see much of it looks like the rest of rural Tanzania. For scale it is about 25 miles from Ft Ikoma to Mugumu. Mugumu did have some paved roads in the town.

serengeti-map.png

Exiting the Serengeti at Fort Ikoma.
The Impala Hotel and perhaps a restaurant.

Spoiler :

IMG_1880.JPEG

IMG_1881.JPEG

One of the open air guide vehicles.

IMG_1878.JPEG

Fueling up in Mugumu.

Mugumu Filling station and it street. That is my guide Penuel in the white shirt.
Spoiler :

Mugumu gas station.JPEG

Gas station street 1.JPEG

Gas station street 2.JPEG

These videos are all clips while driving from Fort Ikoma through Mugumu to the entrance to the Northern Serengeti. They are are all similar. You may notice that in some you see strange little house like structures without doors or windows or even roofs. In Tanzania they build their new houses piecemeal as they get money. Build the floor; add walls with holes for doors and windows; add a roof; step by step until complete. It can take many months.

Mugumu Street

More roads.

One last road trip...

We entered the Northern Serengeti before lunch.

Spoiler :

Tabora Gate.JPEG

Tabora sign.JPEG

Buffalo skull.JPEG

Tabora gate 2.JPEG

In the Northern Serengeti at this time of year the emptiness I experienced changes. Here is the Grumeti river in the dry season. It is one of the rivers the herds have to cross.

Grumeti River in the dry season.JPEG

The Mara river is the last obstacle for the herds as they cross from Tanzania to Kenya. The pressure from the back of the herds pushes the those critters at the front towards and then over the river. It is a process that takes weeks and includes some back and forth. The herds were just reaching the edges of the Mara River as I got there. I was a week or two too early to see the crossing. :( Here is the river; pardon my wayward fingers.

Top Bottom