Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

Oh wow, this is a strange one indeed! I've been looking into it and I can't quite seem to figure out why it's crashing at the end of your turn. Even the original file submitted by DeathGOD crashes when you click "Next Turn". I'm afraid this might be a problem with CiV and thus not something we can easily fix. I'll continue looking into it and see what I can figure out!

Ooo, looks like you might have encountered your first MP civ bug, which might lead to a game being unrecoverable. If you play enough online civ games, you'll run into one of these soon enough. If you do discover any sort of cause, that'd be great, especially if there was a way to salvage them.... You could charge for that service. Just bill Firaxis. :king:

Thx for looking into it! This game is getting pretty awesome and I would hate losing it :p

ok, new to GMR and I have to admit I didn't read 43 pages of posts to see if this has already been covered. My question is what keeps (if anything does) a player/cheater from playing his turn repeatedly without uploading it? Freely exploring in several directions with his units or perhaps finding out what the results of battles will be, etc. Then with this knowledge finally playing a turn that he uploads? Just wondering????

ok, new to GMR and I have to admit I didn't read 43 pages of posts to see if this has already been covered. My question is what keeps (if anything does) a player/cheater from playing his turn repeatedly without uploading it? Freely exploring in several directions with his units or perhaps finding out what the results of battles will be, etc. Then with this knowledge finally playing a turn that he uploads? Just wondering????

Honesty and sanity. Or, if those are missing, nothing. :sheep:

Honesty and sanity. Or, if those are missing, nothing.

Thanks Onan, has there been any community discussion about this somewhere on the forum that you know about?

None I'm aware of. How crazy would you have to be to reload each turn umpteen times to find the optimal way to play it?

Sorry EEE the Fall of Rome game is still not working. I don't want to hold up your game any longer so if you would like to find a replacement, I can bow out. I believe that I might be the only one having these issues with the save games. I seem to have as lightly older version of the civ launch menu for some reason.

Sorry EEE the Fall of Rome game is still not working. I don't want to hold up your game any longer so if you would like to find a replacement, I can bow out. I believe that I might be the only one having these issues with the save games. I seem to have as lightly older version of the civ launch menu for some reason.

Any chance you will have better Internet connection to fix your CiV? I'm Ok to revert the turn if not working. If you are busy, just take your time to deal with the save file, or if you don't want the hassle, I can understand :) The game has been set to open in public pool, so I will let someone join in freely.

Any chance you will have better Internet connection to fix your CiV? I'm Ok to revert the turn if not working. If you are busy, just take your time to deal with the save file, or if you don't want the hassle, I can understand :) The game has been set to open in public pool, so I will let someone join in freely.

It's not my internet connection. I have tried both from work and at home and both are blazingly fast - 20 MBps dedicated pipe at work, and a 6 MBps shared at home. The actual save file is corrupt for me. Actually you should try it. Get the save file from Mel and try loading it. It's corrupt before it gets to me, but this may be a versioning issue with Civ.

Also Mel,

I've gotten this a few times while trying to email you. Seems like your DNS is not resolving

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<support@multiplayerrobot.com>:
No MX or A records for multiplayerrobot.com

Thanks Islandia, I'll double check our domain settings for the email forwarding. And I am truly sorry for the problems you're having with GMR. You of all people don't deserve this :(

The difference of CiV versions is strange and might be part of the problem. Here's a link to the current save file for Islandia's turn in the Fall of Rome game (you'll need to remove the ".txt" at the end). If anyone else out there could download it and see if it loads I would appreciate it. I did encrypt his password so no worry of anyone spying on your turn Islandia :)

Also, considering CiV versions, I am on windows and when I get to the main menu of CiV I see the following number at the bottom 1.0.2.21 also when I get the CiV load dialog (where you select which DirectX version) I see this number at the bottom: 6.2.9200. Is this what other people see? Does anyone have a different version number there?

Hi Mel,

Just saw the above so haven't had a chance to check yet.

When you get a moment, can you comment on my last post in this thread?: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=474681&page=7

We're trying to figure out if using GMR for a game where each 'player' is actually a group of people, and where the actual turn player will change over time, is a good idea, or presents unforeseen problems. Thanks!

Thanks Islandia, I'll double check our domain settings for the email forwarding. And I am truly sorry for the problems you're having with GMR. You of all people don't deserve this :(

The difference of CiV versions is strange and might be part of the problem. Here's a link to the current save file for Islandia's turn in the Fall of Rome game (you'll need to remove the ".txt" at the end). If anyone else out there could download it and see if it loads I would appreciate it. I did encrypt his password so no worry of anyone spying on your turn Islandia :)

Also, considering CiV versions, I am on windows and when I get to the main menu of CiV I see the following number at the bottom 1.0.2.21 also when I get the CiV load dialog (where you select which DirectX version) I see this number at the bottom: 6.2.9200. Is this what other people see? Does anyone have a different version number there?

No worries Mel. I know how software development goes and half the time, it's some other piece of software or an integration causing the problem, but you get the blame since it's your program running :)

Worst case if we can't resolve this, then I'll cut down the number of active games I am in and devote more time to things like getting into shape for my Mount Roiraima climb, and becoming the best twiddlywinks player in the world!

When I launch the dialog for directx selection it shows: 6.1.7601

Inside Civ5 itself it shows: 1.0.2.21

There are no updates from Steam (where I bought Civ5) so I am not sure why my launcher seems to be out of date.

Hi Mel, I am able to load the file you linked, and I have the same versions numbers as you. Islandia, have you verified the integrity of local game cache? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

I tried the Fall of Rome save posted above, and it crashed civ. My civ menu version is the same, 1.0.2.21, however on the launcher (where only DX9 is an option for me), it's version 5.1.2600, looks even older than Islandia's!

Islandia, have you tried reinstalling civ? (Just don't mess it up before our game tonight. ;) )

My version is 6.1.7601
CiV version is the same.

Edit: just checked from MS website, the version is the latest.

@Onan: maybe you should update your DX9 from MS website? It could be one of the problems in multisession games.

I'm having trouble submitting my turn for game 2118

I tried a few time but keep getting a GMR client error and this is in the debug log

Code:
--------------- 2012-12-08 | 20:36:33 ---------------
Action: Checking for newer save file 2118
Finished

--------------- 2012-12-08 | 20:36:33 ---------------
Action: Downloading save file 2118
Waiting for existing download

--------------- 2012-12-08 | 20:41:17 ---------------
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.get_Result()
   at GmrClient.Classes.DiplomacyClient.WebApiSubmitTurn(Int32 turnId, Stream fileStream)
   at GmrClient.Models.GameModel.SubmitTurnAndSaveFileToServer(String saveFilePath)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled.<---

Submitting turn

I also tried activating the "Use legacy file transfer" option but instead of an error it seems to be stuck on the uploading progress bar.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Edit:
Just saw the game finally finished uploading while I was writing this post. So I guess switching to the legacy option did the trick.

Something I noticed though is that the save file went from 551KB to 2441KB between turn 2 and turn 3 (which could explain why it was slower to upload).
Is it normal ?

Something I noticed though is that the save file went from 551KB to 2441KB between turn 2 and turn 3 (which could explain why it was slower to upload).
Is it normal ?

I've seen this as well, it seems to have happened after the "Fall" patch for CiV. I suspect it's one of the things that have been increasing the number of failed uploads we've been experiencing. Thanks for the report and the snippet from your debug logs, that is really useful. It continues to problems with our new network implementation, I just wish I could figure out what those specific problems are. Software is a fickle thing sometimes :)

Top Bottom