• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

War at Sea in the Age of Sail 1650-1849

Hi Delta,

could you please check the small pediaiconpicture of the Xebec? I have a black spot (ARRR!) in its place in the techtree, but I am unable to locate a difference to the other pictures in Irfanview. :confused:

Thanks!

But she looks lovely in the game itself (Spain has reached her prerequisite Navigation):

Would be a larger version of Treasure Galleon possible? In Pirates! (ARRR!) she is usually much larger than the other ships and now she is actually a bit smaller than a Merchantmen.

By the way, Delta and Ares: lovely anmiations and sounds! :goodjob:

Some info on the enlarged galleon:

I suggested to call it "Manila Galleon", because they were the largest european ships under sail in that period.

Due to the route's high profitability but long voyage time, it was essential to build the largest possible galleons, which were the largest class of ships known to have been built. In the 16th century, they averaged from 1,700 to 2,000 tons, were built of Philippine hardwoods and could carry a thousand passengers. The Concepción, wrecked in 1638, was 43 to 49 m (141 to 161 ft) long and displacing some 2,000 tons. The Santísima Trinidad was 51.5 m long. Most of the ships were built in the Philippines and only eight in Mexico. The Manila-Acapulco galleon trade ended in 1815, a few years before Mexico gained independence from Spain in 1821. After this, the Spanish Crown took direct control of the Philippines, and was governed directly from Madrid. This became manageable in the mid-19th century upon the invention of steam power ships and the opening of the Suez Canal, which reduced the travel time from Spain to the Philippines to 40 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_galleon

I also added some special sounds with contemporary spanish music to the new ship. You can very well use it as an UU for Spain.

Thanks to both of you! :goodjob:

I have labeled her in my game as Royal Galleon and she is a (well defended) transport ship for Spain replacing the regular Galleon (2/2/4, Cargo 4, Navigation, Salpeter and able to bombard).

A modern replica of the Manila Galleon is (or was) sailing the historical trade route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIC1JB_rCA8

I once captured a Treasure Galleon in Pirates! very early on and used her for my full career as main battlewagon. While slow, she was able to tear most of my enemies to little scraps when fully armed with 40 guns (and sunk some pirate hunters by accident with my first volley... ).

Delta_Strife, One more time great art you share with us. :goodjob:Thank you very much!

Am I wrong or is there a mistake in the directions of the flags of the Fluyt (=> <=) ?

@Delta_Strife or anybody else who has used the Fast Galleon unit, does yours have a repeating "seagull" sound that loops constantly? I updated the Firaxis Galleon to the Fast Galleon and it looks fabulous. But ... every time I move it a very irritating looping sound continues nonstop until I go into preferences, turn off all sounds, and then turn them on again. Anybody else experience and/or have a suggested fix?

It usually works fine and it's game tested. Do you have a lot of these units? Is your system up to date? It's hard to tell from outside. If it still does not work, you can use this INI without a fidget.

Attachments

• Fast Galleon.zip
    562 bytes · Views: 6
It usually works fine and it's game tested. Do you have a lot of these units? Is your system up to date? It's hard to tell from outside. If it still does not work, you can use this INI without a fidget.
@Ares de Borg your sounds are great. I assume you did the carriers, too? It is cool when you fortify and the planes fly with sounds. With that said, I don't what is causing my issues with your custom sounds. For example, with the carrier if I fortify, they final "frame (not sure what it is called in audio)" will repeat until I turn off sound fx and turn back on. Same with ships sinking, etc. But all of the stock units never having looping sound. I wonder what is different? I am running the game on Mac via Wine and it may have something to do with it. But no issue with Firxais units. I wonder what setting between the audio files are different?

Top Bottom