War Hammer 40,000 Mod

I thought it's clear that each faction has its own set of units... so Space Marines will have their Landraiders and all those Rhino-versions while Imperial Guards will have their Leman Russ etc. See? you have lots of vehicles to do :D

And there is no reason why we can't make up units. So you'll probably think up of new units. Or, more likely, I will think up Units and force you to make them :cringe::whipped:

Muffins is right about the Commissars.

IMO (not that it really matters) Omnimower should take the lead on this scenario. We had a ton ideas already worked out, most of the planning was done, it was just a matter of implementation. Omni, you have a clear understanding of the things that we were planning. Help these boys get on track while I am gone will yah?

Muffins, don't quit animating now, you just started. I have big plans for you when I get back. :D

Goldflash said:
And there is no reason why we can't make up units. So you'll probably think up of new units. Or, more likely, I will think up Units and force you to make them :cringe::whipped:
I disagree. For now I would say we have more than enough units just using what is available in the 40K universe. And if this is to be a 40K mod, then the 40K Universe should be looked to as the source. If you were planning on making a generic Sci-Fi mod that would be a different story. But its not, so why deviate from an already rich pageant of units? But hey, I'm leaving and you guy can do whatever you want.

You should most definitely look at the thread that Omnimower linked to, as there we had listed a tons of units for each race. Why reinvent the wheel when we have already done the work for you?

Kal-el said:
I disagree. For now I would say we have more than enough units just using what is available in the 40K universe. And if this is to be a 40K mod, then the 40K Universe should be looked to as the source. If you were planning on making a generic Sci-Fi mod that would be a different story. But its not, so why deviate from an already rich pageant of units? But hey, I'm leaving and you guy can do whatever you want.

You should most definitely look at the thread that Omnimower linked to, as there we had listed a tons of units for each race. Why reinvent the wheel when we have already done the work for you?
Here be wisdom, Goldflash :)
Kal-el said:
Muffins, don't quit animating now, you just started. I have big plans for you when I get back.
Why does that sound like you'll appear on my doorstep with several burly sailors and a big muffin-sized bag? :lol:

Still we may need to ake some up. Like Workers and settlers, for example. And Ships. And Omni's not taking my Mod. Mine.

There is no neeed to make new ships, just look to Battlefield Gothic, and it is a wise man who defers to those who know more about a subject than himself. No offense meant, but Omnimower, Embryodead, Schizo Angel and Zulu9812 seem to know a lot more about the 40K universe than you. IMO you would be wise to look to them and the work they have already done.

That being said, here are some useful things from the other thread.
zulu9812 said:
How about this for civs? Revised proposal -

Xenos - generic, hooded advisors
era 1, 5 culture groups, 8 civs
Chaos - World Eaters (Khorne)
Chaos - Emperor's Children (Slaanesh)
Chaos - Thousand Sons (Tzeentch)
Chaos - Death Guard (Nurgle)
Necrons
Tau
Tyranids
Dark Eldar

Imperial
era 2, 3 culture groups, 10 civs
Marines - Blood Angels
Marines - Dark Angels
Marines - Space Wolves
Marines - Ultramarines
Marines - Imperial Fists
Imperial Guard - Catachan Death World Veterans
Imperial Guard - Mordian Iron Guard
Imperial Guard - Valhallan Ice Warriors
Imperial Guard - Cadian Shock Troops
Adeptus - Adeptus Sororitas

Orks
era 3, 1 culture group, 6 civs
Goffs
Blood Axes
Snake-Bites
Bad Moons
Evil Sunz
Deathskullz

Eldar
era 4, 3 culture groups, 7 civs
Craftworld - Biel-Tan
Craftworld - Iyanden
Craftworld - Alaitoc
Craftworld - Ulthwe
Craftworld - Saim-Hann
Exodites
Harlequins

That gives you 31 civs, which is the civ3 limit.

N.B. About the Dark Eldar. I know the currently accepted idea is for them to be Barbarians. To be honest, I think this is because you're not up to date on the background. In 1st and 2nd edition rules, the Dark Eldar were simple good Eldar who had turned away from the path and become Space Pirates. In that respect, it would make sense for them to be the barbarians in this mod. However, the background to the Eldar changed with the 3rd edition rules. Just to give a little history: when the Fall occurred, and the Eldar psyche gave birth to Slaanesh, the psychic explosion ruptured real space, creating an overlap with warp space. What we now know as the Eye of Terror was once the centre of the Eldar realm. The Dark Eldar are the descendants of the Eldar who didn't manage to escape on the craftworlds, who were caught in the eye of terror and mutated and warped by chaos. So they are much, much more than mere space pirates!

I'm thinking now that, yes, Titans can be subsumed into other Imperial lists, and we don't need their foot soldiers.

btw - I also have Codex: Dark Eldar for 3rd edition rules, so if Omni could update his first post that'd be great.

zulu9812 said:
this all very rough and ready, btw:

Ultramarines
Scout
Tactical Marine
Assault Marine (w/jump pack!)
Devestator Marine (w/missile launcher)
Terminator (power fist + storm bolter)
Veteran Marine (power armour)
Bike
Attack Bike
Land Speeder
Land Speeder Typhoon (rocket launchers)?
Predator Destructor (autocannon truuet)
Vindicator
Whirlwind
Land Raider
Rhino
Dreadnought (power fist+storm bolter & multi-melta)
Razorback

Blood Angels
as Ultramarines, but...
...swap Veteran Marine for Assault Veterans (jump pack assault)
...swap Predator Destructor for Baal prdeator (twin assault cannon turret)
...swap Dreadnaught for Furioso Dreadnought (two powerfist+storm bolter, colour should be black)
...add Death Company

Dark Angels
as Ultramarines, but...
...swap Terminator for Deathwing (different model)
...swap Bike for Ravenwing Bike (different model)
...swap Attack Bike for Ravenwing Attack Bike (different model)
...swap Landspeeder for Ravenwing Landspeeder (different model)

Space Wolves
as Ultramarines, but...
...swap Tactical Marine for Grey Hunter
...swap Assault Marine for Blood Claw
...swap Devestator Marine for Long Fang (hvy bolter)
...swap Veteran Marine for Wolf Guard Power Armour
...swap Terminator for Wolf Guard Terminator (chainfist+storm bolter)
...swap Dreadnought for Venerable Dreadnought (lightning claw+assault cannon)
...swap Scout for Wolf Scout

Black Templars*
as Ultramarines, but
...swap Land Raider for Land Raider Crusader
...swap Predator Destructor for Predator Annihilator (lascannon turret)
...swap Land Speeder for Land Speeder Tornado
...add Emperor's Champion (should be really expensive, since there's only supposed to be one at a time)
*I know I said Imperial Fists, but do you know of any units for them? ;) Besides, the Templars are 'descended' from the Fists

N.B. All Guard armies will need their own units - catachan guardsman won't do for a Mordian civ

Catachans
Catachan Devil
Deathworld Assault Team (demo charges)
Deathworld Sniper (invisible, hidden nationality)
Jungle Fighter
Fire Support Team (hvy. bolters)
Ogryn
Deathworld Sentinel (hvy. flamer)
Mortar Team (umm...mortars...)
Booby Trap (immobile, airdrop, cruise missile)

Mordian Iron Guard/
Guardsman
Fire Support Team (hvy. bolter)
Comm-link (radar unit?)
Ratling Sniper
Ogryn
Rough Rider
Chimera
Leman Russ
Demolisher
Basilisk
Griffon
Hellhound
Sentinel (multi-laser)
Commissar
Hydra Flak Tank
Baneblade Super-Heavy Tank
Shadowsword Super-Heavy Tank

Armageddon Steel Legion*
as Mordians, but...
...swap Fire Support Team for Anti-Tank Team (lascannon)
...swap Sentinel for Armoured Sentinel (lascannon)
...swap Guardsman+Chimera for Mechanised Infantry
...swap Basilisk for Medusa
...swap Leman Russ for Leman Russ Vanquisher
...swap Baneblade for Stormblade
*I know I said Cadians, but these guys look like WWI soldiers in trenchcoats and gas masks!

Valhallan Ice Warrios
as Mordians, but...
...swap Fire Support Team for Artillery team (mortar)
...swap Basilisk for Manticore
...swap Leman Russ for Leman Russ Exterminator
...swap Baneblade for Stormhammer

Adeptus Sororitas
Battle Sister (power armour, bolter)
Hvy. Battle Sister (hvy. flamer)
Seraphim (jump packs, assault trrops)
Frateris Militia (cheap, conscript, draft units)
Rhino
Immolator (twin hvy. flamer on armoured rhino chassis)
Tarantula (flak weapon)?
they should also have access to Imperial Guard units

common to all Imperials
Warhound Titan
Reaver Titan
Warlord Titan
Imperator Titan

Chaos
Raptor (jump pack)
Obliterator
Havoc (devestator)
Dreadnought
Predator
Land Raider
Rhino
Bike
Possessed Marine
Cannon of Chos (uses the Cannon of Khorn model)

World Eaters
as Chaos, but...
...add Beserker
...add Beserker Terminator
...add Bloodthirster
...add Bloodletter
...add Flesh Hound
...add Bloodcrusher (beserker on juggernaught)
...add Brass Scorpion*
...add Blood Reaper*
...add Death Dealer*
...add Cauldron of Blood*
...add Tower of Skulls*
...add Lord of Battles
...swap Warlord Titan for Banelord Titan
...swap Cannon of Chaos for Doomblaster
*I suggest we pick one of these

Emperor's Children
as Chaos, but...
...add Noise Marine
...add Noise Marine Terminator
...add Keeper of Secrets
...add Daemonette
...add Fiend
...add Hellish Cavalry (Daemonettes on Steeds of Slaanesh)
...swap Reaver Titan for Questor Titan
...swap Warlod Titan for Subjugator Titan (smaller & not as tough)
...swap Warhound Titan for Hellknight
...add Hell Scourge
...add Hell Strider

Death Guard
as Chaos, but...
...add Plaguemarine
...add Plaguemarine Terminator
...add Great Unclean One
...add Plaguebearer
...add Beast of Nurgle
...add Nurglings (cheap draft unit)
...swap Cannon of Chaos for Contagion (mobile catapult)
...add Plague Tower

Thousand Sons
as Chaos, but...
...add Thousand Son
...add Thousand Son terminator
...add Lord of Change
...add Horror
...add Flamer
...add Disc Rider (rider shoots sorcerous bolts)
...add Silver Tower (skimmer unit - mobile aircraft?)
...add Doomwing (flyer - interceptor)
...add Firelord (flyer - bomber)

Necrons
Warrior
Pariah
Immortal
Flayed One
Wraith
Destroyer
Scarab Swarm
Tomb Spider
Heavy Destoyer
Monolith

Tau
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit
XV15 Stealth Battlesuit
XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
Fire Warrior
Pathfinder
Kroot Hound
Kroot Carnivore
Krootox
Devilfish Troop Carrier
Hammerhead Gunship
Barracuda Air Superiority Fighter
Tiger Shark Bomber

Dark Eldar
Warrior
Reaver Jetbike
Hellion
Warp Beast
Grotesque
Mandrake (invisible)
Wyche (assault troops)
Incubi (well armoured, armed & trained!)
Scourge (jump packs, hvy. weapons)
Raider Transport
Ravager Gunship
Talos
Raven Fighter
Ravenwing Bomber
Barrage of Torturous Delights
Shadow Stalker Titan

Tyranids
Hive Tyrant
Lictor
Tyranid Warrior
Genestealer
Termagant
Ripper Swarm
Hormaguant
Gargoyle (small flyer)
Harridan (v. big flyer)
Ravener
Carnifex
Zoanthrope
Biovore (light artillery)
Exocrine (hvy artillery - cannon)
Dactylis (hvy artillery - catapult)
Assault Spawn (also a transport)
Dominatrix (the hive queen)
Hierodule (smaller titan)
Hierophant (larger titan)

I'd do more, but I can't be bothered :)

Did Any of thoes people step foreward to create this mod once all these WH40K units started coming? No. I did. Anyweay, before we even think about units we need to pick our Civs. Do we Really need 31? Every single race/legion whatever doesn't have to be Represented.

Goldflash said:
Did Any of thoes people step foreward to create this mod once all these WH40K units started coming? No. I did. Anyweay, before we even think about units we need to pick our Civs. Do we Really need 31? Every single race/legion whatever doesn't have to be Represented.

I have to agree, 31 civs IS a bit much to start with. I mean, just the Eldar alone means recolors and unit redistributions to represent varying types of warfare between the Craftworlds. Saim-hann has their tons of vehicles, whilst Biel-tan has tons of Aspect warriors, do we really want to make a tech tree for every single faction?

For now we really ought to cencentrate on getting the basic units done. Like the different Space Marine units, which can be recolored and added to once we get to be a bit more ambitious.

Although, we do have to pick which faction is the "generic" one, sort of hard to for some of them...I propose the following for the "Generic" civs-

Space Marines- Ultramarines
Imperial Guard- Cadians of Catachans (most recognizable IMHO)
Sisters of Battle- No 'factions' thus all are generic
Chaos- Vanilla or possibly Khorne
Necrons- N/A
Tau- N/A
Dark Eldar- N/A
Tyranids- N/A
Eldar- Well...none of hte named craftworlds are generic at all, so we'll have to make up our own colors really.

I'm thinknig Civ colors will be almost useless, except on armored vehicles...

@Hunter

I know Necrons are limited to planets where thier pyramids are located, but thier presence is easier to explain away than the Tau, who dont use warp travel, so thier presence just wouldn't make sence to me. Then again the Eldar never use warp travel, but then i'm an Eldar player :D

I'd agree with your selections for "Generic" 40K civ factions, but would add the following

Imperial Guard - The closest to a generic Imperial Guard faction, would be to include elements from each of the named regements, as each of the named regements is specalized in some way. Overwise i agree that Cadians would be the most generic faction to use
Chaos - The Black Legion is the most generic Chaos Legion. To my knowledge they've never dedicated themselves to any one Chaos God
Eldar - Ulthwe. To use any other colour sceme would be a sacralige of the highest order!

And i just remembered (I dont know how i could forget them) SQUATS! They can be added to the Imperial culture group

Mostly imperial should require a special resource.. I dunno.. Muffinium or soemthing. That way if the Orks get a hand on them they can 'build' the looted units.

Just to make my self clear....

You guys will be doing msot of the deciding and all that. I'll just be editing pediaicons.txt and such

I have to agree with Kal-El on everything... I would also like to see some 40k player leading the project... ie. in this thread, the idea to made up things etc. ... no point, there is plenty of data. Even for settlers/workers, there's plenty of special units ie. Techmarines. Also there is not point in starting a .biq now... You need much more units to have any working base.

Anyway, as for civs, I will try to reproduce the more recent setup we came up in the last 40k thread revival, modified by my memory, since the CDG thread is no longer there:

No plan for 31 civs, only 5 "cultures":
Imperium
+ Space Marines
Orks
Eldar
Chaos

Note that those are factions that have highest priority and most chance of being done in detail. No need of adding Tau, Tyranids and Necrons, lets finish other factions first, they need enermous amount of units themselves. If anything, there is place for 1 more "alien" culture that could countain any/all three, assuming that Imperium + Space Marines share culture/tech tree (yeah I'll be enforcing the idea of seperate "tech" trees :p , see below)

Further you can split those cultures into anything that is doable. Eldar / Dark Eldar. Ork Hordes. Chapters. Four Chaos Gods, Black Legion etc. For example in case of Chaos, 1 UU for each god is enough to make seperate factions (I have models of Plague Marine, Noise Marine, Thousands Sons and Berzerkers ready to render). I don't see a point of making a definite list now, since there are no units to build any faction. That's another advantage of the group-division ;)

Oh and for the tech trees, I meant not 1 for every single faction, but "culture". In other words, four tech trees, 1 in each era, with each group (let's call it "group" for now) being locked in 1 era. This also allows group-specific great leaders for example.

embryodead said:
I have to agree with Kal-El on everything... I would also like to see some 40k player leading the project... ie. in this thread, the idea to made up things etc. ... no point, there is plenty of data. Even for settlers/workers, there's plenty of special units ie. Techmarines. Also there is not point in starting a .biq now... You need much more units to have any working base.

Anyway, as for civs, I will try to reproduce the more recent setup we came up in the last 40k thread revival, modified by my memory, since the CDG thread is no longer there:

No plan for 31 civs, only 5 "cultures":
Imperium
+ Space Marines
Orks
Eldar
Chaos

Note that those are factions that have highest priority and most chance of being done in detail. No need of adding Tau, Tyranids and Necrons, lets finish other factions first, they need enermous amount of units themselves. If anything, there is place for 1 more "alien" culture that could countain any/all three, assuming that Imperium + Space Marines share culture/tech tree (yeah I'll be enforcing the idea of seperate "tech" trees :p , see below)

Further you can split those cultures into anything that is doable. Eldar / Dark Eldar. Ork Hordes. Chapters. Four Chaos Gods, Black Legion etc. For example in case of Chaos, 1 UU for each god is enough to make seperate factions (I have models of Plague Marine, Noise Marine, Thousands Sons and Berzerkers ready to render). I don't see a point of making a definite list now, since there are no units to build any faction. That's another advantage of the group-division ;)

Oh and for the tech trees, I meant not 1 for every single faction, but "culture". In other words, four tech trees, 1 in each era, with each group (let's call it "group" for now) being locked in 1 era. This also allows group-specific great leaders for example.
@GoldFlash
I'm 100% in agreement with the above - as well with everything that Kal-el and Embryodead have posted so far. It stays true to the atmosphere and character of the WH40k universe.

And if the majority of unit-makers think this then you're in danger of seeing us guys go off and make the mod ourselves, me old chum :)

Anyone with three brain cells can make a mod, anyway :p We've all got our own mods - but not everyone can make units :p

So the power is in the hands of the unit-makers! Bwahahahahaha!!!
:twitch: :whipped:

btw - I've got the base model for the Chimera and Chimera-based vehicals 60% done. The gap in the back will take various bits depending on the version.

I'm planing the following -

Autocannon Chimera
Heavy-Bolter Chimera
Basilisk
Manticore
Madusea
Hydra

Do the Space Marines and Imperials count as one faction or two? I think it should be one so we can have the Tau as well. They're pretty cool.

And we're all in agreement as to the Necrons as Barbs, correct?

I'm thinking you basic Barb sould be the Standard Warrior--

While the Wraith should be the Advanced Barb

Space Marines and Imperials are technically the same side, just different types of forces. I think Sisters of battle would be good for a Knights Templar-like wonder.

And i thought Commisars had nothign to do with Space Marines? :confused:

Having multiple orc civs is easier than most the rest, since most orc tribes differentiate themselves from others with bright swaths of color, just like everyone in Civ 3.

And the Tau do sort of have Warp Travel, the new BFG stuff out lines it as they basically "skim" into the barrier between the warp the realspcae, which propels them really really fast, nto as fast as Imperial or other warp, they say about 20% on average.

So we could just say the planet is somewhat close to Tau space if we want them there.

As for water going things, there's almost nothing on them, save that they have cargo barges in some places, and orcs have been known to use submarines.

Top Bottom