War money tops 10x initial estimate, next budget "balanced" by slashing health funds

The higher priority in our budget should be...

• Total voters
Yeah, tell that to the people who don't have health coverage. Ye Olde Ond Venerable Bureaucracy Excuse will surely work on them.

Truth be told, I do support some measure of free health care for the most basic or urgent care, but the way our system is, we'd be better off not wasting federal dollars on it. But medicare needs a serious reinvention, or it should be allowed to starve to death.

Somehow the figures don't add up though. The new budget will add up $700Bn in military spending, yet the US would have spent a total of $661.9Bn on combat in Iraq and Afghanistan if it's approved?

662 Billion for both Afganistain and Iraq for 2003-2009
(bar any additonal funding not including long term cost such as veteran care etc etc)

A health care program costs a lot of money and the money isn't always spend in the most efficient way. But if you really want to send money down the drain, invest it in the military!!!
I'm not speaking of the USA alone, this happens all over the world. In my country the military is THE equivalent of a stiff bureaucracy

Give money to the citizens who are actually worth the money, the military.

So Medicade is useless? ...... they are old, who is gonna miss em right?:goodjob:

They should not have gotten themselves into such bad health, then. If they ate whole wheat bread and brocolli instead of twinkies and Mcdonalds food, then they would not be in need of drugs.

Does the government buy niccotine patches for lifetime smokers? If not, why does the government want to help buy drugs like Lipitor? How is a lifetime of eating crap more worth tax payer dollars than a lifetime of smoking cigarettes?

They should not have gotten themselves into such bad health, then. If they ate whole wheat bread and brocolli instead of twinkies and Mcdonalds food, then they would not be in need of drugs.

Does the government buy niccotine patches for lifetime smokers? If not, why does the government want to help buy drugs like Lipitor? How is a lifetime of eating crap more worth tax payer dollars than a lifetime of smoking cigarettes?

You think people only get ill due to stupidity?

My neighbour's daughter died not long ago from leukemia - she was eight years old. What did she do to deserve your contempt?

I'll give you the benefit fo the doubt and put you down as thoughtless rather than witless, at least for now.... :mad:

You think people only get ill due to stupidity?

My neighbour's daughter died not long ago from leukemia - she was eight years old. What did she do to deserve your contempt?

I'll give you the benefit fo the doubt and put you down as thoughtless rather than witless, at least for now.... :mad:

No, I do not believe that people become ill due to stupidity, only apathy towards their well beings in the future.

I'm sorry about your neighbor's daughter, but children have been dying from diseases and complications for thousands of years. I do not have contempt for her, but I do not feel that I have any reason to be inspired from that story. Why didn't your neighbors have money on hand to treat their daughter?

Put me down as heartless. I have thought about these things, and I came to the conclusion that humans need to stop operating in their hopes of a utopian world where everyone will live a long and fulfilling lives. Life is tough; if someone cannot handle that reality, then they will die.

Everyone gets old and dies from one thing or another no one dies from "old age".
*points to post above his* and some people do get stuck with horrible diseases at a young age.

We should get rid public schools too right? It's not my fault people after 200 years of free school arn't capable of paying for their own kids schooling. Next thing you know they are going to be asking for a police force and courts.

We should get rid public schools too right? It's not my fault people after 200 years of free school arn't capable of paying for their own kids schooling. Next thing you know they are going to be asking for a police force and courts.

Public Schools are not a business, Medical care is.

Tycoon even the healthiest, most responsible and smart people can have bad luck. Do they deserve to die?

Public Schools are not a business, Medical care is.
:eek:

I nearly choked in my coffee. Americans view medical care as a business? Now I understand why the health level of Americans is so bad... :rolleyes:

:eek:

I nearly choked in my coffee. Americans view medical care as a business? Now I understand why the health level of Americans is so bad... :rolleyes:
Yeah...
That was a very revealing statement...:eek:

I always pick military over the overly political topics that never get addressed.

Next thing you know they are going to be asking for a police force and courts.

Absurd comparison since police and courts can't be provided in a bias free manner without public funding. Who would ever say such a thing? Therefore using it as a bit of a sarcastic almost strawman attack is unfair.

Absurd comparison since police and courts can't be provided in a bias free manner without public funding. Who would ever say such a thing? Therefore using it as a bit of a sarcastic almost strawman attack is unfair.
:lol: I'm soooo glad i'm European.

No, I do not believe that people become ill due to stupidity, only apathy towards their well beings in the future.
Entirely false. Yes, there are plenty of diseases that are preventable, but not all diseases are preventable. The easiest example would be quite a few cancers as well as more importantly, genetic diseases.

As well, when it comes to diseases that are preventable - a good amount of diseases only only preventable when there is proper medical attention; for example, tumors, which can be often fixed it if it is caught at an early stage. Being in perfect health through living a healthy lifestyle does not reduce the chance that you will die early because of a disease to zero.

Top Bottom