War with French

are you planning to move forward in this war?
Looks like you (us?) already have enought new space to develop, no?

are you planning to move forward in this war?
Looks like you (us?) already have enought new space to develop, no?

We would love peace with CivFr, attached to a long NAP. We would give CivFr Chinook and probably rights to the desert isthmus, but we would need to retain the land around (the ruins of) Nobamba, taking at least one Dye resource. Unfortunately, the Frenchies seem content making this a war to the end. If that's the case, then we probably just want to defend against them with leftovers from our war with Zulu while we keep teching up and building infra in our core.

We're also looking for ways we might be able to hurt them. I've been advocating that we send a force of Knights through the desert isthmus. If we can catch them off guard, I think we can force a favorable peace treaty from them.

Spoiler :

Sommers has pointed out that we need to get a spy down their first. I wonder if in the meantime we can ask CP to tell us what they saw with their Missionary on his way through (that'll be settled in Indira for +2:hammers: buildings)

I dont understand that Franchutes would like to go on with the war... if they are not planning to get help soon.

I dont understand that Franchutes would like to go on with the war... if they are not planning to get help soon.

they probably count with RB since our NAP ends with them t175...

I think if they do diplomacy then it's probably this direction. I think RB already said them that they have NAP with us to t175 and there is no way they give us extension.

Sommers has pointed out that we need to get a spy down their first. I wonder if in the meantime we can ask CP to tell us what they saw with their Missionary on his way through (that'll be settled in Indira for +2 buildings)
Ot4e is giving me info almost each turn. Last time he said they just keep their HA stack there. Maybe, just as the Spaniards, they will aim for the northern front looking for development exclusively there. Which makes sense somehow. First, the desert isthmus is natural barier - not much good for settling and somewhat of a choke - point, where in the North, the land is open and fertile. Also, they will be glad if the war theater is far from their capitol.

they probably count with RB since our NAP ends with them t175...

I think if they do diplomacy then it's probably this direction. I think RB already said them that they have NAP with us to t175 and there is no way they give us extension.

I doubt they have specific agreement with RB. Like if they coordinate attacks, have land divided, etc. But if they work in somewhat coordination and have some agreements, this can backlash them bad. We tell our friends how number 1 and number 2 are working together and they actually do lift a finger. We vilify Rb and CivFR, calling them uber-monster cluster or something and rallying the rest under our banners. Sometimes it works.

Ot4e is giving me info almost each turn. Last time he said they just keep their HA stack there. Maybe, just as the Spaniards, they will aim for the northern front looking for development exclusively there. Which makes sense somehow. First, the desert isthmus is natural barier - not much good for settling and somewhat of a choke - point, where in the North, the land is open and fertile. Also, they will be glad if the war theater is far from their capitol.

I doubt they have specific agreement with RB. Like if they coordinate attacks, have land divided, etc. But if they work in somewhat coordination and have some agreements, this can backlash them bad. We tell our friends how number 1 and number 2 are working together and they actually do lift a finger. We vilify Rb and CivFR, calling them uber-monster cluster or something and rallying the rest under our banners. Sometimes it works.

i meant it in a way that RB told them that our NAP is ended very near and there is no plan for extension from both sides.

along the lines of "your enemy is making us friends". i don't think they will make strong formal pact, since CivFR seems to be a bit weak on the diplomatic side, but probably will try to exploit our weakness in west, that's why they don't seem to be in a hurry to solve our war.

Looks like you (us?) already have ...
Yes Magno, its us! You are on our team now so you count yourself as one of us!:D

I still like the idea of a surprise raid with Knights. HAs will be no help to them against Knights... Nor will Spears, as we have seen ;)... BUT we need to get a recon team of a Spy or two down there first to make absolutely sure we can win the fight before putting our units at risk.

I am using a hotspot for some unreliable internet but I am online for now at least. :)

I still like the idea of a surprise raid with Knights. HAs will be no help to them against Knights... Nor will Spears, as we have seen ;)... BUT we need to get a recon team of a Spy or two down there first to make absolutely sure we can win the fight before putting our units at risk.
HAs and Spears are more than enough against a stack of knights if one has enough money to upgrade them at the moments notice.

Here's a compilation shot of the battlefield at the start of our turn (CivFr has already moved):

Spoiler :

And here's a depiction of how screwed CivFr would be if our allies actually joined us.

Spoiler :

I understand that our allies can't break their NAP's and DOW the French, but we really should ask them to put a little more pressure on CivFr to grant us peace. If the Frenchies had to worry about potential attacks from Poly in the north and CP in the east, they'd fold so fast...

Yes, even small expeditionary corpuses from our friends would have made French life hell.

I actually had quite interesting chat with ot4e this late afternoon. He appeared out of a sudden on skype (he is on vacation on some exotic islands). So he popped up to tell me they got at last answer from French. I asked what does their answer say and he was laconic: "Not good things." I asked for some details, but he went ahead: "With the city French razed, there must be quite some land freed between you and them currently, right?". I confirmed. Then he asked "What part of the land you are willing to concess to French in exchange for peace?" I felt something is not right, but asked if he thinks being a mediator is good idea and how if French refuse to even speak to us, he hopes to be able to negotiate peace and if French will not start to think of him as double- agent if he offers them peace from our name.

He is either closer to French than he confess ( if there was not his word saying explicit he have no secret dealings with CivFR, I could have sworn there is such thing), or he is a bit naive thinking French will be easy to deal with, or he just knows that we must be at peace with CivFR or otherwise our ideas about dealing with RB fails miserably and he must believe he can get peace between us.

He then said he will have to reveal we CP and CFC are in relation.

Anyway, despite the real reason, this sounded to me medium hopeful. Maybe we can get separative peace with CivFR after (or before) all?

To me what you tell he said sounds like French gave him some conditions for peace but he's concerned that we'd outright reject them. Which would mean that French are not as opposed to peace as they pretend to be. If we can either convince them that going to peace turns out well for them or continuing the war can turn out badly for them, we might be able to negotiate peace.

Sounds logical, Aivo.

To me it sounded like ot4e is trying to get info what we are willing to make concession and to give idea about our sentiments to French. With or without hidden agenda.

Here is the full transcript from the chat. I suggest we move the discussion there where it belongs.

Sounds logical, Aivo.

To me it sounded like ot4e is trying to get info what we are willing to make concession and to give idea about our sentiments to French. With or without hidden agenda.

I think he also realizes that CFC cannot do anything against RB while at war with CivFr. If we want him to mediate between us and CivFr - and I think we should want this - we have to give him some ideas what concessions we may be willing to make. But better not be too specific ;)

The only strange thing to me was his "not good news" remark. Perhaps he expected CivFr would make a status quo NAP with ask because he ask them? Does not sound likely.

If we want him to mediate between us and CivFr - and I think we should want this - we have to give him some ideas what concessions we may be willing to make.
I already gave him the "task" to try and get us closer to to peace with CivFR some 2 weeks ago even before Zulu were dead.

While I was in our email, I noticed that CP sent us a screenshot of Mayan lands yesterday. I'm on my phone so I can't easily copy the image here, but it shows a Pike and Archer defending Tirecul (the city on the other side of the desert isthmus) with 7 catapults, 4 knights and 2 ha's right outside of the city. In the body of the email, CP says "it seems they haven't moved yet" so I guess these units have been there for a little while?

CP appears to have espionage vision on all visible CivFr cities.

Here is how the south front looks like:

This GA gave French plenty of hammers to use in army. They have number of catapults already. And what is most disturbing - they have settler ready to settle next turn somewhere in the Nobamba area.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot2377_.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot2377_.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 293
Yeah, all those cats are kinda scary. I still think we hold the advantage, though.

On offense:

We have 13 Knights to their 6 Knights and 1 HA

We have 6 Macemen to their 1 Maceman and 5 Axemen

On defense:

We have 6 Catapults to their 9 Catapults

We have 4 Longbows and 4 Xbows to their 4 Pikes

If they move forward with that Settler, we should be able to take it out, hopefully along with the majority of their army. We do have to be careful, though, because if they decide to move their southern troops (7 Cats, 4 Knights, 2 HA's), we will need to use this army to defend ourselves (but it will take them several turns to get their southern army to our border)

Here is that picture that CP sent us on July 9:

We can probably expect a small expedition coming from this direction at some point. Right now the city on our side of the isthmus is lightly defended, but our big stack in Ulundi can reinforce it quickly. What we need to be careful for is them moving both stacks in at the same time, so we should figure out how we would want to divide our defenders in that situation.

Top Bottom