Warlords - Bad memory allocation

this statement is doing as if you never heard of this problem before..kinda wierd where ten tousands of people(unfortunatly only a few report it online) experience this bug and report it here online even back in december 2005..kinda wierd to recieve such an answer from you Gyathaar..you know it's there..the bug is there...it's somewhere...why do you civfanatics people act as if the problem doesn't exist? Tell firaxis of this problem!!! because take2(who is doing the support) is telling:"we don't give support, it's your own problem" someone must inform firaxis

I think we just have to go back to civ3, for those who want to play epic games :( firaxis is loosing all their programmers, take2 is non functioning at the moment, at least their support isn't, and in civ3 you at least could play endlessly :)

Have you seen how fast Civ3 performs on sytems of today? I was blow away when I saw overly huge maps flipping by all chalked with a full slate of civs (20-24) and literally thousands of massed armys. Im talkin 200x200 maps here! and all that real world proportion with under 30 secs turns with caps lock pressed. I almost cried! (not countin AI vs AI battles that are shown nicly compared to CIv4 so actuallly a treat and strategic element to the game, kinda like 'hands on 'spying )

SO you can always look forward to 4 years from now and Civ4 runnin the same way. Civ3 has really improved drastically over time. IM waitin it out with a great CIv3 expierence
Look at this brand new random epic: Medival Mod ( like a natural Anno Domini sequal, though that sequal is coming out next month!)
Spoiler :

In-game

Tech Tree

Pedia: Relgions & example civ

Unit line-up
[/

this statement is doing as if you never heard of this problem before..kinda wierd where ten tousands of people(unfortunatly only a few report it online) experience this bug and report it here online even back in december 2005..kinda wierd to recieve such an answer from you Gyathaar..you know it's there..the bug is there...it's somewhere...why do you civfanatics people act as if the problem doesn't exist? Tell firaxis of this problem!!! because take2(who is doing the support) is telling:"we don't give support, it's your own problem" someone must inform firaxis

I think we just have to go back to civ3, for those who want to play epic games :( firaxis is loosing all their programmers, take2 is non functioning at the moment, at least their support isn't, and in civ3 you at least could play endlessly :)
At the time when I wrote that reply (7 months ago) I had not heard about the problem

Atm I know exactly what is causing it, and have even written code to fix it. The code however has to go into the exe file, so to get it fixed properly, there has to be another patch with the fix (hopefully Firaxis will get the fix into BtS atleast)

Have you seen how fast Civ3 performs on sytems of today? I was blow away when I saw overly huge maps flipping by all chalked with a full slate of civs (20-24) and literally thousands of massed armys. Im talkin 200x200 maps here! and all that real world proportion with under 30 secs turns with caps lock pressed. I almost cried! (not countin AI vs AI battles that are shown nicly compared to CIv4 so actuallly a treat and strategic element to the game, kinda like 'hands on 'spying )

SO you can always look forward to 4 years from now and Civ4 runnin the same way. Civ3 has really improved drastically over time. IM waitin it out with a great CIv3 expierence
Look at this brand new random epic: Medival Mod ( like a natural Anno Domini sequal, though that sequal is coming out next month!)

The problem with Civ3 was that it had a hardcoded city-amount-cap, as far as I remember. Thats why I dont play it anymore...

My save games are somewhere around 800 kilobytes when I start to exprience that crash. The only mods I am using is the Ethnically Diverse Units mod and Better AI. Large map. 1890's on the Quick speed.

The EDU Mod I am speaking about adds many new units, (somewhere 4-5 times more then in the original game).

EDIT: Hey, I made my paging file larger and it works fine!

I have MAF with an intel 6600, a dual core duo, 2gb ram, and a ge force 8800 320mem.... ???? I have a 600 mhz powertransformator (sorry i can't find my english vocabulary)

The MAF on Warlords has been fixed in the visa code(you can still run out of memory though...use the 3gig switch discussed on civfanatics or a 64bit windows version to avoid running OOM, hence avoid the MAF!) if you're running BtS..the MAF fix has been optimalized by gaythaar and firaxis included his codes in their exe...only thing left is the 3gig switch...or use a 64bit windows!
Since you have a E6600(same as i have) i recommend you to install windows vista 64bit! I'm totally happy with vista 64bit for civilization! runs perfect!!

i don't take responsibility for other software to run on vista 64bit of course!but civ runs like a rocket! and no MAF :) I have 4gigs of RAM though...on a 2gigs system you might start SWAPPING like crazy...so i disabled all my virtual memory...SWAPPING=next turn 1hour...disabled virtual memory=next turn 30seconds..

The MAF on Warlords has been fixed in the visa code(you can still run out of memory though...use the 3gig switch discussed on civfanatics or a 64bit windows version to avoid running OOM, hence avoid the MAF!) if you're running BtS..the MAF fix has been optimalized by gaythaar and firaxis included his codes in their exe...only thing left is the 3gig switch...or use a 64bit windows!
Since you have a E6600(same as i have) i recommend you to install windows vista 64bit! I'm totally happy with vista 64bit for civilization! runs perfect!!

i don't take responsibility for other software to run on vista 64bit of course!but civ runs like a rocket! and no MAF :) I have 4gigs of RAM though...on a 2gigs system you might start SWAPPING like crazy...so i disabled all my virtual memory...SWAPPING=next turn 1hour...disabled virtual memory=next turn 30seconds..
. where i can find the visa code? I've the xp (from the old computer) and vista that came with the new. Everybody told me bad things about installing vista...:rolleyes: so i'm still using the xp

. where i can find the visa code? I've the xp (from the old computer) and vista tha came with the new. Everybody told me bad things about vista...:rolleyes:

well, if you DL the visa pack, the SDK is included
http://visa.worldofcivilization.net

about Win Vista...well, what can I say..

Every OS has it's advantages and disadvantages, and I surely belong to those people that yell at MS that they suck (because i need someone to blame it on!) but when you really ask me about my true opinion(not my emotions), i'd tell you MS is a hell of a team of programmers that do a tremendous job! Linux (as it's most closest oponent) is far from getting to the userfriendlyness and wide-support of hardware as windows comes. with every new version however, alot of incompatibility comes with it the first few months of course, and software that isn't updated by their original producers anymore can run out of date on new OS's of course. But generally, Vista has many improvements. It's just getting used to it, and even i belong to the complainers, but knowing in the back of my head, it's still a good OS. So, complaints, yes, but if you consider it objectively...

about civ on vista, running it on vista 32bit makes no difference for the memory as XP 32bit. ..you'd need a 64bit system to support any process over 2GB by default, 64bit can allocate as much as your RAM really is..32bit is restricted to 2GB. In this forum however someone wrote a method to enable just another GB, making 3 in total to be supported by windows 32bit for processes...that however still won't allow you to use FULL support of your memory(if you have more then 3GB)...since windows simply can't allocate it..not to mention that windows itself is kinda stupid on memory, if you have your PAGEFILE on, let's say 2gb, windows will start to swap when your process uses around 1GB, although you might still have 2 GB free RAM! making your processes slow of course...therefore, i recommendend everyone, SWITCH OFF the DAMN PAGEFILE! ALWAYS!!! only if you ever run into a program what needs it you can switch it on...

but, I use Photoshop. Coreldraw, Solidworks, Civilization, VS 2003, other 3D modelling software, i convert homemage videos of the size of 20GB/tape to DVD movies..and i have 4GB of RAM and disabled my pagefile for 100%(except the few MB, 20 or so, that windows needs by default) and I have NEVER got any problems that i run out of memory since i disabled the stupid pagefile!!!! and to be honest, i'd rather buy me +4more gigs if needed, because the pagefile simply is 10000times slower then your RAM, and CIV runs within seconds to the next turn on my PC(huge map, 36civs, own compiled DLL, late game, marathon game) and it takes up to 1 hour if i just enable the pagefile...so whatever you do bro, shut down the pagefile and buy more RAM if you need it, and isntall 64bit windows! that's my solution to the MAF...with 4Gigs on 64bit, you might even be able to play without the MAF fix(since that only saves 500MB of memory usage during the savemethod) with 4gigs you might have enough to play literally any game and mods out here on the forums(granted, 512x512maps from smartmap i didn't test how large those could grow in the memory)..

well, if you DL the visa pack, the SDK is included
http://visa.worldofcivilization.net

about Win Vista...well, what can I say..

Every OS has it's advantages and disadvantages, and I surely belong to those people that yell at MS that they suck (because i need someone to blame it on!) but when you really ask me about my true opinion(not my emotions), i'd tell you MS is a hell of a team of programmers that do a tremendous job! Linux (as it's most closest oponent) is far from getting to the userfriendlyness and wide-support of hardware as windows comes. with every new version however, alot of incompatibility comes with it the first few months of course, and software that isn't updated by their original producers anymore can run out of date on new OS's of course. But generally, Vista has many improvements. It's just getting used to it, and even i belong to the complainers, but knowing in the back of my head, it's still a good OS. So, complaints, yes, but if you consider it objectively...

about civ on vista, running it on vista 32bit makes no difference for the memory as XP 32bit. ..you'd need a 64bit system to support any process over 2GB by default, 64bit can allocate as much as your RAM really is..32bit is restricted to 2GB. In this forum however someone wrote a method to enable just another GB, making 3 in total to be supported by windows 32bit for processes...that however still won't allow you to use FULL support of your memory(if you have more then 3GB)...since windows simply can't allocate it..not to mention that windows itself is kinda stupid on memory, if you have your PAGEFILE on, let's say 2gb, windows will start to swap when your process uses around 1GB, although you might still have 2 GB free RAM! making your processes slow of course...therefore, i recommendend everyone, SWITCH OFF the DAMN PAGEFILE! ALWAYS!!! only if you ever run into a program what needs it you can switch it on...

but, I use Photoshop. Coreldraw, Solidworks, Civilization, VS 2003, other 3D modelling software, i convert homemage videos of the size of 20GB/tape to DVD movies..and i have 4GB of RAM and disabled my pagefile for 100%(except the few MB, 20 or so, that windows needs by default) and I have NEVER got any problems that i run out of memory since i disabled the stupid pagefile!!!! and to be honest, i'd rather buy me +4more gigs if needed, because the pagefile simply is 10000times slower then your RAM, and CIV runs within seconds to the next turn on my PC(huge map, 36civs, own compiled DLL, late game, marathon game) and it takes up to 1 hour if i just enable the pagefile...so whatever you do bro, shut down the pagefile and buy more RAM if you need it, and isntall 64bit windows! that's my solution to the MAF...with 4Gigs on 64bit, you might even be able to play without the MAF fix(since that only saves 500MB of memory usage during the savemethod) with 4gigs you might have enough to play literally any game and mods out here on the forums(granted, 512x512maps from smartmap i didn't test how large those could grow in the memory)..

thank you.. i'll hope i will reach a solution about it. Another one, that suggested a my friend, is to make a partition in the Hd and install vista there. I've to decide to sacrify a part of my 320 gb...

thank you.. i'll hope i will reach a solution about it. Another one, that suggested a my friend, is to make a partition in the Hd and install vista there. I've to decide to sacrify a part of my 320 gb...

Hold on with that Kruger!! Unless you know what you are doing, you should NOT have Vista with any older windows on 1 HDD, even if on 2 partitions..Vista has it's own bootmanager and will DESTROY the bootmanager of your old windows. Not even sure if you can boot that anymore. of course you can fix the old bootmanager, but honestly spoken, install them on 2 different HDD's! even if you know how to fix bootmanagers, it'll safe you troubles if you use 2 HDD's, and disconnect your older windows HDD before installing vista, you can add that bootdrive later in the vista bootmanager...it's a bit tricky todo, but, really, if you're just installing vista side by side to any existing older windows and you are not a real windows profi, you might turn up pretty badly..so either fully upgrade to vista and don't bother about the old windows, or use 2different HDD's..take some old HDD first to test it on...or, figure out how to fix your old bootmanager first in case vista screws that one...it's easy to fix with the original discs...but many people still find it difficult todo..of course for any experienced windows user it's a real easy fix, but since i don't know your expertise...watch out!!!

mmm i had a maf (with visa) while i was testing and trying to play a map... giantmap_celtv2.2 re-edited with 28 civs... i made it in the Regiment e formations mod... this is the mod i want to play... sigh sigh

yeah, visa only has the memory reduction for the savegame(which is the MAF most people experienced) it doesn't help you if your OS runs out of memory(don't ask me why virtual memory isn't allocated)
but you might use the 3GB switch!!! that will help you to pass the MAF! :)

read this to know how to enable the 3GB switch:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224178

make sure you do it properly!!!

Hi
i had that problem too "memory allocation failure" but i fixed it:
go to civilizationIV.ini then change the value of "BreakOnAlloc" from -1 to 0

it doesn't make the game faster but it stops the crashing ;)

Hi
i had that problem too "memory allocation failure" but i fixed it:
go to civilizationIV.ini then change the value of "BreakOnAlloc" from -1 to 0

it doesn't make the game faster but it stops the crashing ;)

Unfortunately the fix did not work. My game is still crashing

I am running Civ4 (no xpac) with a brand new PC and Windows 7 and I still get crashes with save files barely over 1meg. I am not using mods neither or anything.

Damn bugged game. I hope they do a better job with CIV5

At this time, it seems that there isn´t a solution to this bug... It is a shame... I have this problem when i´ve reached the contemporary age (I don´t know if that´s the name of that age in english, because, I have the game in Spanish), not before. It happens specially when the game does the "autosave" or when was about to be shown the cinematic of a wonder... Sometimes it happens when i save the game, and then te file gets corrupted, and i can´t play it anymore

What i do is to play the game and when i reach that age, I make 2 "save" of the same game... Then i play two turns and save the game, in copy 1; later I play another two turns and then save the game, in copy 2. When the bug happens, I restart the game, where i saved it, and problem solved... The bug may happen in another turn and never happens in the same turn that happened in the last time... At least, in my case
Obviously, that should be an unnecessary move in order to play the full game... But, hey, I´m sttuber and I need to play the full game...

FYI, i don´t play mods...

PS: Sorry if my english is not good at all...

Top Bottom