1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Warlords patch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by alexman, Oct 23, 2006.

1. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

I believe the exploit would be to already be in a war and then agree to become a peaceful Vassal of another 3rd Civ that is more powerful than either you or the party you are at war with. Allow that new Master to beat down your original opponent, and then since you have not capitulated, you elect to escape your Vassal status whenever you choose after 10 turns have expired.

I think.

2. Quijote

Quijote L'Hôte

The artificial intelligence needs to weigh the benefits of you becoming a vassal against the drawbacks. If you are currently at war with a civilization that the potential master does not wish to declare war with despite the fact that it can consume your resources together with other bonuses for a minimum of 10 turns, then it will obviously not be interested in your offer.
    I already think the computer, to some extent, has the ability to recognize a good decision from a poor regarding the consequences of vassal state agreements.

3. Iustus

Iustus King

It would be pretty trivial to create a mod that would allow you to become a vassal to an AI if you wanted to.

The problem would be, as many have pointed out, it would not only be pretty exploitable, but that the AI would do a very poor job.

If you are willing to live with the downside that its exploitable and the AI is stupid about it, ask someone to make you a mod (or do it yourself), that removes this restriction.

-Iustus

4. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

Let me spin it on you and ask you why the compulsion to become a submissive in a game in which winning is the goal? I have seens everal people argue in favor of allowing the human player to become vassal of the AI and I cannot for the life of me think of one reason why I would want that in a game. Servitude to an AI? Not much fun, for me.

Maybe you can enlighten me.

5. flamingzaroc121

flamingzaroc121 Emperor

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the cs slingshot is pretty much gone:cry: , oh well im over it that looks like a good patch and now people wont be bashin Expansive my favorite trait.

thanks alexman

6. Mîtiu Ioan

Mîtiu Ioan Deity

Seems that winning on Imortal and Deity will be even more difficult now ... :rolleyes:

Somehow this should be corrected - always will be too un-fun to play on that levels. :(

Regards all

7. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Not really you just have to time the research or tech trade of mathmatics with the 2nd GP pop at the same time.

The Oracle Slingshot is out though

8. Stexe

Stexe Chieftain

W00T! Most of my ideas were implemented, although still Imperialistic isn't changed and there are a few other concerns I have (they might be there but I only read over it once or twice). I'm not going to go over the changes I like, because that would be too long of a list, so here are the problems I have. First off, Forts are still useless in general. Also, Gallic Warriors are still pretty gimpy considering the unique building gives them the same upgrade they already have. No interface change to view a city before chosing to capture it or raze it... strange, I thought you'd put that one in. Would be nice if Woodsman/Guerilla gave more than what they do now, seems too specialized. Organized gets cheap Factories... seems kindof strange, I'd like a different bonus besides just more cheap buildings for Creative and Organized; such as % bonus to Culture for Creative and reduced Upgrade cost for Organized. Expansive change is nice, but wouldn't it make more sense to have 50% Settler production, still a good change. I still think Jaguar should get 6 strength and maybe no bonus to city attacking, but it is better now. "Quarries give +1 shield with railroads," you mean +1 hammers, right? ;-) AI improvements are nice, but I would like to see more trade options available. Why is a unit no longer given a TXT_KEY name when joined with a Great General (can you explain this more)? Vassal changes are nice, but still seem lacking, although overall it is a nice change, now just improve capitulation. No change to Praetorians... why do you guys have a "thing" for them seriously? Some other Unique Units need fixes. Immortals got nerfed withdraw chance in Warlords, I'd like to see them have higher withdraw than Chariots slightly, same with a few other mobile UUs.

Can you clarify this statement: "Innocent units are no longer penalized when another unit moves near the end of the turn timer and stays selected."

All in all it seems good, a few minor tweaks would make the game relatively perfect. Now bring on the next expansion pack!

9. CivDude86

CivDude86 King

You swapped Kublai/Qin but forgot to swap the market/grocer graphic. Will this oversight ever be fixed?

10. Nilmerf

Nilmerf Warlord

This is an underrated and awesome change! Especially annoying when an animal gets trapped because of your cultural borders.. and walks back and forth for thousands of years, warning you each time that an enemy is nearby.

I don't know about giving Organized a boost, it was already one of the best. Look out for Augustus now, fast libraries make me want to give Creative a second look too..

11. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

thanks for the info :D do you have a eta on the patch? also will fraxis ever be giving us the cruise missiles in a patch or the next xp? or even a working code would do

12. Shigga

Shigga Shiggadelic Baby! :)

lol... sorry to say that but when I see the list I am glad I did not buy WL yet (and probably won't 'til it's like 10 bucks or so). The fixes concerning the vassals show that it was very poorly implemented- I would actually go so far as to say it was broken prior to the patch. And this was the only thing that really interested me in WL. Still, kudos for the work done.

Waiting for the next expansion and the next vanilla patch (if they still make those... :rolleyes: )

13. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

Barbarians can have Spearmen
    It will be tougher for games with ragging barabarians

I see nothing about the Barbarian scenario. I tried several times at the 2 different levels, and gave up as I do not see how it is possible to survive more than few turns and achieve some captures, as the AI quickly get stronger units, and I never see when the Barbarians can also update their own units!

What a BIG patch, with so many changes!
    What Blake did is really a big input. Congratulation also to him!

THIS should gives a new twist to Warlord!...

14. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

No offence but why the hell don't u just pick up the free xp for its skin instead?

15. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Yeah Barb Spearman means your Chariots are no longer the best Barb Defenders anymore... I guess you have to sacrifice a couple of archers or have the barb spear attack an archer in the forest or hill tile.

I'd hate to see a barb Axeman and Spearman Combination attack...

16. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

That's great! :) But there is one more bug you should fix, and that's the one that enables AI civs to found cities two tiles from one of yours. That is not supposed to happen, but I've seen it over and over.

Öjevind

17. vilemerchant

vilemerchant Prince

I have a few ongoing multiplayer games. Would installing the patch stuff up these games in any way? Should we all install the patch or all avoid it?

18. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Sure it isnt that the 2 cities are on different landmasses? The 3 tile limit is only there is the 2 cities are on same land mass, if they are seperated by water, then the limit is just 2 tiles

19. Jaythekiller

Jaythekiller Warlord

Am I the only one to think they didn't give us a date !!!
    Mid-october ??? almost ready ???
    what do you mean???
    are you still testing other company product?
    shall we wait till CIV V to get more consideration?:D

20. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Well said DR D, to me capitulation is admitting defeat, it shouldn't be a way of hiding away safely and rebuilding your forces.