1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

We are all One

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

:confused:

That's an odd way of putting it, although I suspect you have a good idea of who I'm talking about, and I think it was pretty clear that the report wasn't warranted, and I hadn't said anything infractionable.

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Fred, there is a whole new generation of members who have not benefited from you cogent thoughts.

4. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Taking out the trash is part of the job, life goes on. Oh give me a site where I can protect the members from the trolls. :please:

5. Væringjar

Væringjar Warlord

6. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

The term "troll" is meaningless anymore. Its use always seems to imply, "I don't agree with you, so I'm going to dismiss your line of thought as malevolent". It's even worse when they have or ingratiatingly utilize "moderation powers". Those people are worse. They are the "book burners" and the "thought police".

Even the supposed most outspoken opponents of intolerance are pathetic bigots at some point.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

That's a rather extreme view, isn't it? Has something in particular upset you?

8. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

I don't think it's extreme at all. I feel I'm being honest.

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

How would you prefer things to be? In an ideal world.

10. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Well, this site works well for me with a handily accessible ignore feature. For some reason, people can't seem to find it alot of the time.

11. Valka D'Ur

Do you mean that you want certain individuals to ignore you? :confused:

Some people have told me that using the ignore feature is a sign of weakness. I think that's nonsense - if there are truly people whose posts irritate you past all tolerance, you should feel free to use that feature.

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I wish I knew who was ignoring me, all the time. I mean, I'd like to know whether I'm being ignored because I'm just not making sense or because I've irritated someone.

13. Valka D'Ur

If you suspect someone is ignoring you, try to send that person a PM. If they're ignoring you, the PM won't go through.

14. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Oh right? Thanks, that's useful to know.

If ever I feel the need to find out for sure.

But if someone is off-line, their ignore facility doesn't work, does it? Or does it still filter out PMs?

(I've tried putting people on "ignore". And it works well; for a very brief while. Until my burning curiosity gets the better of me.)

15. Valka D'Ur

Online or offline makes no difference. It's all in whether or not your name is on someone's ignore list. It's the forum software that kicks in once someone has decided to ignore you.

Think of it like the forum's way of blocking unwanted email. You can set up blocks and filters in your email programs; this is the same thing, except this time you know right away that your messages are being blocked.

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

How can I tell whether my PMs get through or not, though? I've not yet had one bounce back at me (if that's the right way of describing it). But I have had one or two get no reply. (Why do people do that, btw? I always feel bound to reply to everything, myself. Well, up until what I feel is the natural end of a conversation, that is.)

17. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Yeh, what if Borachio pms me and, while I'm not ignoring him, I choose to not answer because I think he smells funny? Will his heart break by default?

18. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

No. It won't.

(Though, I do smell funny, btw. I can't see any other explanation.)

19. Valka D'Ur

The forum software will show you a default message that says your recipient is not accepting private messages (not sure of the exact wording). It won't bounce back later; it'll hit you square between the eyes immediately.

I don't know why some people choose not to answer their messages. Sometimes I take a long time to answer, but I do try to answer all of them. Somebody took the time and trouble to compose a message to me, so it's only polite to reply.

Your reasons for not answering are whatever you personally deem is reasonable. I don't know if his heart will break, because I don't know how close the two of you may/may not be. He might be annoyed, though, if he was expecting an answer to an important question (for example).

20. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

I'm sure CFC has aged much better than me. I'm ten years older, not ten years smarter. Doubt I have the energy that caractherized my forme forum personae.

It would be fun to try and conquer forum notoriety again, but I'm afraid I lack the stamina ;).

Regards :).