1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

We are all One

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

Give or take.

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

From the publically available info in the SF forum:
    - 2011: 11
    - 2012: 16 (which included 4 users with a bit higher post count; doesn't include bots, DLs, etc.)

Might have been more or less before, who knows...

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Thanks for the info.

That's quite high. Or is it?

I'm guessing there's 100 to 200 users of OT. So that would be ~10% per year.

Still, I suppose not all banned users have featured in OT, by any means.

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Not discussing any particular moderator action, but say hypothetically someone posted a goodbye message for another banned member and was canned for it, and otherwise was an upstanding member of the community. Say hypothetically a former member showed up with a DL after several years but has exhibited good behavior and seems fully rehabilitated.

These are potentially easy cases to decide in favor of amnesty.

5. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Posting a goodbye message for a permbanned user will not get you permanently banned around here - it might earn you a few days off though and in cases of otherwise unproblematic users will most likely not even lead to much more than a stern warning/infraction pm - having a user return after years with a DL is an interesting idea to ponder, though its rather hypothetical as those that actually are interested in coming back after a permanent ban tend to come back within days or weeks or months at the most and frankly I have yet to see a single instance in which we could argue that the user in question has reformed as in almost all cases such DLs are recognized by the same behavioral pattern that lead to the original ban.

16 is an inflated number - those were 3 OT users, 1 user from other parts, 2 self requested permanent bans and 10 bans from drive-by troll accounts (either DL accounts or real drive-byes) that frankly should just as well be categorized in the same manner as spam bots.

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

There was one (likely) instance of the second that I am aware of. Unfortunately do not have the offline contact info to verify beyond circumstantial evidence.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Where did you get such excellent translation software? Your writing looks like a colonial's.

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

In the case of a DL exhibiting reformed behavior, I'd personally be inclined to grant amnesty. But in the case of a blanket amnesty, how do you tell if someone's been rehabilitated without giving them a chance?

Any other knowledge I have of permanently banned members here dates to mid-2010, and is probably publicly-intuited knowledge by now, anyway (since word does get around in emails, chat rooms, etc.). If you want the earlier figures, you should ask a current staff member.

9. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

All hail Off-Topic! Is this is how things felt in Germany in 1992?

In other news, will mentioning a banned member by name get you an infraction? Just curious.

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I simply don't care. I use whatever language/idiom I think my interlocutor will understand.

(Generally speaking. Within the limits of my own natural inclinations and abilities.)

11. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

:p Well, it helps get the message across to them. I could(n't) care less myself. ;)

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Yes. There's one of my pet hates right there. Why do some people say that? It's surprisingly less common among the American posters here than I thought it would be.

13. bhsup

bhsup Chieftain

EDIT: *grumble grumble* In a most ironic twist, I wasn't seeing the RD thread because I had just set the filter again... moving post over to appropriate thread.

14. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

X-factor for banned people. Lets have a vote!

15. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Maybe, to keep numbers even, we could throw out a few…?

16. madviking

madviking north american scum

i dunno, maybe you speak with relentless abaddon the possibilities are boundless

edit: maybe anarchy does work best?

17. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Moderator

It's all about context. There's nothing distinct about a banned account's username compared to an active account's username.

You can be denied posting privileges for mentioning an active member if you try hard enough (or post jerkishly enough).

Simply mentioning a user name, banned or not, isn't necessarily an issue (madviking's taunts aside ;))

18. timtofly

timtofly One Day

I was going to mention that a few thread titles would need to be changed if that were the case.

19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Sometimes all it takes is for the active member to be needlessly offended at being mentioned in the first place. One of the more notoriouswell-known OT posters once reported me for mentioning his name, and hadn't read far enough to realize that I was agreeing with him!

20. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

virtually any post can be reported though, doesn't mean its disallowed as report does not equal moderator action against a post.