We are all One

How many people have been permanently banned? You know, rough ball park figure/guess.

From the publically available info in the SF forum:
- 2011: 11
- 2012: 16 (which included 4 users with a bit higher post count; doesn't include bots, DLs, etc.)

Might have been more or less before, who knows...

Thanks for the info.

That's quite high. Or is it?

I'm guessing there's 100 to 200 users of OT. So that would be ~10% per year.

Still, I suppose not all banned users have featured in OT, by any means.

I suspect we could argue for 10 years over who deserved amnesty. The only fair thing would be all or none. Personally, I can think of better uses for an amnesty, if the staff were inclined to do this at all, which I doubt. It's not like the banned people hadn't had 60,853,923,011,490 chances already.

Not discussing any particular moderator action, but say hypothetically someone posted a goodbye message for another banned member and was canned for it, and otherwise was an upstanding member of the community. Say hypothetically a former member showed up with a DL after several years but has exhibited good behavior and seems fully rehabilitated.

These are potentially easy cases to decide in favor of amnesty.

Posting a goodbye message for a permbanned user will not get you permanently banned around here - it might earn you a few days off though and in cases of otherwise unproblematic users will most likely not even lead to much more than a stern warning/infraction pm - having a user return after years with a DL is an interesting idea to ponder, though its rather hypothetical as those that actually are interested in coming back after a permanent ban tend to come back within days or weeks or months at the most and frankly I have yet to see a single instance in which we could argue that the user in question has reformed as in almost all cases such DLs are recognized by the same behavioral pattern that lead to the original ban.

Thanks for the info.

That's quite high. Or is it?

I'm guessing there's 100 to 200 users of OT. So that would be ~10% per year.

Still, I suppose not all banned users have featured in OT, by any means.

16 is an inflated number - those were 3 OT users, 1 user from other parts, 2 self requested permanent bans and 10 bans from drive-by troll accounts (either DL accounts or real drive-byes) that frankly should just as well be categorized in the same manner as spam bots.

There was one (likely) instance of the second that I am aware of. Unfortunately do not have the offline contact info to verify beyond circumstantial evidence.

How many people have been permanently banned? You know, rough ball park figure/guess.
Where did you get such excellent translation software? Your writing looks like a colonial's.

Not discussing any particular moderator action, but say hypothetically someone posted a goodbye message for another banned member and was canned for it, and otherwise was an upstanding member of the community. Say hypothetically a former member showed up with a DL after several years but has exhibited good behavior and seems fully rehabilitated.

These are potentially easy cases to decide in favor of amnesty.
In the case of a DL exhibiting reformed behavior, I'd personally be inclined to grant amnesty. But in the case of a blanket amnesty, how do you tell if someone's been rehabilitated without giving them a chance?

Any other knowledge I have of permanently banned members here dates to mid-2010, and is probably publicly-intuited knowledge by now, anyway (since word does get around in emails, chat rooms, etc.). If you want the earlier figures, you should ask a current staff member.

All hail Off-Topic! Is this is how things felt in Germany in 1992?

In other news, will mentioning a banned member by name get you an infraction? Just curious.

Where did you get such excellent translation software? Your writing looks like a colonial's.

I simply don't care. I use whatever language/idiom I think my interlocutor will understand.

(Generally speaking. Within the limits of my own natural inclinations and abilities.)

:p Well, it helps get the message across to them. I could(n't) care less myself. ;)

Yes. There's one of my pet hates right there. Why do some people say that? It's surprisingly less common among the American posters here than I thought it would be.

EDIT: *grumble grumble* In a most ironic twist, I wasn't seeing the RD thread because I had just set the filter again... moving post over to appropriate thread.

Maybe, to keep numbers even, we could throw out a few…?

All hail Off-Topic! Is this is how things felt in Germany in 1992?

In other news, will mentioning a banned member by name get you an infraction? Just curious.

It's all about context. There's nothing distinct about a banned account's username compared to an active account's username.

You can be denied posting privileges for mentioning an active member if you try hard enough (or post jerkishly enough).

Simply mentioning a user name, banned or not, isn't necessarily an issue (madviking's taunts aside ;))

I was going to mention that a few thread titles would need to be changed if that were the case.

It's all about context. There's nothing distinct about a banned account's username compared to an active account's username.

You can be denied posting privileges for mentioning an active member if you try hard enough (or post jerkishly enough).

Simply mentioning a user name, banned or not, isn't necessarily an issue (madviking's taunts aside ;))
Sometimes all it takes is for the active member to be needlessly offended at being mentioned in the first place. One of the more notoriouswell-known OT posters once reported me for mentioning his name, and hadn't read far enough to realize that I was agreeing with him!

Top Bottom