1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[We the People] Bug reporting

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Sep 24, 2018.

1. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Sure, your map and your decision. :thumbsup:
    (Please also check this post though considering "Custom Scenario" start.)

Edit:

In my other post I was talking about the other already existing maps. Not about your new map.
    Those I do not want to change or duplicate. ("Custom Scenario" start also give the explanation.)

2. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Obiously I wasn't clear. For what it matters, the player actually doesn't even need to click on "custom scenario". On the normal scenario menu, where he can pick his civilization (English, Spanish, Dutch...), he can select speed as well on the bottom left.

The thing which bothers me is that speed is set by default on "marathon" rather than normal when the screen appears. I wasn't saying that the player can't change it, I would just like the default proposed value to be set differently. And my request isn't about adding a new map, but only to update that very little thing on the existing map. :)

3. raystuttgart

For your map 1650 I will set "Normal" as requested. :thumbsup:
    (Once I have checked that it is compatible and if not fixed it.)

Also for every map you created in RaR (and which is still contained in WTP):
    Simply change "Game Speed" of the current map of WTP download to whatever you like and send / attach the maps to me as a ZIP.
    I will replace them in our internal version.

But please make sure you use the current WTP version and not possibly outdated RaR versions of old RaR Releases.
    Please also do not change anything else than Game Speed (by an Editor like Notepad++) simply because I do not want to risk unnecessary bugs.

Is that ok for you? :)

-----

Also I think we should not change all the other Maps that exist - it is just wasting time and effort.
    (Maybe the people that created them, even wanted them to be that way.)

Again, there is no right or wrong considering "default" Game Speed of maps. :dunno:
    Some people prefer "Normal" others prefer "Marathon".

And also as you correctly said as well it is easy to change at Game start. :thumbsup:
    So there is no problem and thus no real need to change anything.

-----

@Marla_Singer

If you want to join us as a supporter again, you could change all the maps considering default Game Speed or other small improvements to your liking. :thumbsup:
    Maybe you would even get motivated to create new ones. ;)
    Since you speak French, you could also be a great help for doing French translations.

But I simply do not want to waste my own effort for things that are not broken / wrong and 50% of players might like but 50% of players might not.
    Every unnecessary change always also has a small risk of an error because of a small oversight.

My time and the time of the rest of the team for modding is not unlimited either ...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Marla_Singer likes this.
  4. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

Hello.
    At the moment, in the Russified game (an example from the WTP 2.7.1.1) there is a problem. since Russian words can be much longer than English, the highlighted lines are not always enough for the text in Russian to completely fit in some tables.

On the screenshots red highlighted problem areas. a line break occurs or the word is cut and not everyone will immediately understand what it means. I give an example of a trade log on the screen of Europe.
    I circled in green the option Ray suggested: I used word reduction. but this is not very convenient and readable text. and so in most cases.

therefore, if possible, please expand the boundaries of these tables. I indicated them in yellow.

if this does not require encoding / decoding, but only editing numerical values, indicate where I can try to change this data myself. after the test, I can send my own version of the width of these tables, and you will check for compatibility with other languages.

I hope we can change this. anyway, thanks.

Attached Files:

5. raystuttgart

It should be possible. :think:

If I am correct this can be done in Python files of the Screens.
    (CvMainInterface.py, Europe/Africa/Port Royal Screens)

In the Python files of the Screens you can most likely change width and height of the message box.
    (List of text contents that is displayed inside of the message box is generated by DLL, the texts themselves are changeable in XML.)

We should however not generally widen the message boxes for all languages.
    Ideally we would do it for Russian language only.

@Nightinggale:
    Is there a flag to identify that the game is played in Russian?
    We could use that flag to e.g. widen the message boxes in the Python files by e.g. 30% for the Russian language.

Edit:

Well, there is a Function that has been made accessible to Pyton to get the language ID (int)
    But I have no idea what the language ID (the int value) of Russian is ... :dunno:

Spoiler :

int CyGame::getCurrentLanguage() const // remove once CvApp is exposed

However it is nowhere used in Python. :confused:
    Also the comments indicate that it is deprecated ...
    But since it is still there, we might still access / use it.

If I knew the ID for Russian language I could simply create an "if" (especially checking Russian language ID)
    and change this here for e.g. the Help Message Box in Main Screen (CvMainInterface.py):
    HELPTEXT_AREA_MAX_WIDTH

That should already fix the "width problem" shown in one of the screenshots.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  6. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

There is, but it's ugly. I propose using a wrapper function to make the code more readable and less prone to bugs.
    PHP:
    // declared as public static in header
    bool CvGameText::isRussian()
    {
        return 
    GAMETEXT.getCurrentLanguage() == 8;
    }
    Adding that allows using CvGameText::isRussian() anywhere, though given what you are talking about here, I assume it needs to be python exposed as well.

However we should consider how to change this because other languages might benefit too. For instance should the help "window" width be based on screen width and generally be wider on high resolution displays? It's not like the multi line issue never happens in English.

7. raystuttgart

All I really needed was the ID. :thumbsup:
    Now that I know that it is 8, I can give it a try.

But the "wrapper function" sounds good as well. :thumbsup:
    We might really use "isRussian" more often if we need to change lots of "message boxes" like that.

Yes, we would need it for the Python logic of the Screens. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I just noticed that it happens a lot in other languages as well. :c5unhappy:
    Especially if "No more hidden variables" is activated because it shows a lot of long texts for "Traits" or "Attitudes".

8. raystuttgart

Considering the Help Message Boxes:

Well, it seems this is not really a problem of "Russian" only.
    We probably need to widen several of them by e.g. 30% for all languages.
    But it most likely also depends on resolutions.

This is not urgent and can wait a bit. It should not be done hastily either.
    We also need to check different resolutions and really identify the specific screens and message boxes affected that could be improved.

This will not be a fast improvement and we should not unnecessarily further delay the current upcoming release.
    We should take our time with this and do this properly for the next release after the current upcoming one.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  9. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

I agree, there is no rush. but to postpone for a long time is also not worth it.

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

The diplomacy screen opened and Jaureybo asks me to join his war against the Arawak.

But I wonder why his name is given twice in the diplomacy screen, instead of once giving the name of the tribe (Carib)?

ColonizationCarib.jpg

11. raystuttgart

Already fixed in internal version. :thumbsup:
    (Just tested ingame to be sure.)

This is one of the many TXT_KEY issues we had.
    (But now they are all fixed, simply not released yet.)

12. Raubwuerger

Raubwuerger Chieftain

Hallo all together,

I played the last version (We.The.People-2.7.2.beta.1) extensivly and found some minor bugs (mainly translation errors).
    The names for "Coca pods" and "Coca leaves" are not translated in harbour screen. See Image ...

And the text for the founding fathers in the city screen is missing. I think for all found fathers. See Image ...

And during loading the mod an error pops up. See Image ...

System information:
    Windows 10 - Version 1903
    I play the mod in german.

Attached Files:

13. raystuttgart

We.The.People-2.7.2.beta.1 was full of TXT_KEY bugs. :c5unhappy:
    (It was a "only" a beta though.)

Explanation:

We tried (and in the end succeeded) to implement a new modding tool and new DLL improvements for Language and Translation System:
    (Which is now fully funtional and fixed - including all TXT_KEY issues.)

1) Supporting to write TXT_KEYs and their Translation by automatically generating text entries in XML to fill
    2) Easily identify missing TXT_KEY by DLL generating a report of them
    3) Remove the necessity to encode special characters, since the DLL can now directly interpret UTF8

This System will help us for the future to be modding more efficient.
    (So in summay, it was worth all the hastle we had with it.)

Summary:

2.7.2.beta.1 was suffering heavily from TXT_Bugs.
    But now in our current internal relase it is all fixed. :)

We are really sorry for publishing a release with so many text issues. This will not happen like this again. :thumbsup:
    (But again, it was explicitly labeled a "beta".)

The current internal release is going to be pubished as soon as possible. :)
    Hopefully this weekend. :dunno:

I know, we have been telling this for almost 2 weeks already.
    (But unexpected things happened in private life of team members which simply delayed the release.)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  14. Raubwuerger

Raubwuerger Chieftain

No problem, it still made at lot of fun ... :)

That's also no problem. It's only a game, private life at first ...

Mr. ZorG likes this.
  15. Ramstormp

Ramstormp Chieftain

One thing that is bugging me to no end is when the natives come trotting to town selling fur at 4 gold a piece when I can buy fur for 1 gold a piece at their villages. Then I am supposed to answer "Yes, that is a good deal." when really rather want to scream "3 gold shipping charge?! Alright, I'll take it this time; but only because I hope it makes you like me better." Is there a logic to this that I am missing?

16. ConjurerDragon

Sure, the natives can be greedy bastards too. Now had you built that Wagon Train and bought the load of fur from them for 1 gold at their homes, you might have made 3 gold more profit than waiting for the natives to come to you and would have been the foundation of a Trade Dynasty :cowboy:

17. ConjurerDragon

After disabling "No more hidden variables" and starting a new game the gold the Natives own is no longer shown in the Score list.

Now when I enter the trade/bartering screen, the money of the tribe is shown at the start, e.g. the around 9000 gold that are a bit hidden behind the other text.

They are still shown when I try to buy their goods - however if I try to sell them my trading goods, then their money is no longer shown after I ask " What would you give me for that?". Then the 9000 gold at the top left vanish and only their offer of around 4000 gold is shown.

ColonizationNativeGold.jpg

Here the picture after asking what they would offer

Colonizationhiddengold.jpg

Now, if the intention is that I barter with them without knowing how far up I can drive them - then their whole treasury should not be shown at all.
    If however their whole treasury is shown while buying from them, shouldn’t then it be shown when selling to them, too? I mean, it is not as if I have not seen it in the screen before and still know that is was around 9000...?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  18. ConjurerDragon

In my current game with the beta I went to war with the english colonies because they and the french had establishedthemselves between my colonies in Virgina and my colonies in Acadia. My unit of Rangers went to Plymouth - but now they are standing on top of Plymouth and can’t conquer it... Is that a bug in the game or are Rangers, like cannons, unalbe to conquer cities?

ColonizationPlymouthrocks.jpg

19. raystuttgart

It is a bug with the "Invisibility feature of Ranger".
    (It is basically a design flaw in my old "Ranger Invisibiltity" concept I had not noticed in RaR.)

But I also already fixed it in the internal version (by deactivating the Invisibility feature in XML). :)
    That is one of the reasons why I rebalanced Rangers and removed their "Invisibility".

Just as explanation:

The code of "Invisibiltity" is pretty much the code of "Invisibility of Civ4 BTS".
    And there insivible Units e.g. Spies, Thieves or Saboteurs are in fact not Military Units and are thus not supposed to conquer Cities but to stay there and do "Spying"/"Thieving"/"Sabotage".

The "Invisibility" concept I had intended for Rangers was more of an "Invisible Scout" but still being a military Unit.
    That is however not the original intention of the code inherited from Civ4 BTS.

20. raystuttgart

Exactly, when "No more hidden variables" is disabled you will not always know how much gold other Nations have.
    (You basically see the same in the score list, as you do in Vanilla.)

So this is no bug.

This is "No more hidden variables" just "working as designed".
    (If you are really trading with them, you will still get some information about gold - you just do not see it all the time.)

Hm, never noticed that. :dunno:
    But it is ok for me, because you entered a real trade negotiation.

So it is also no bug.
    (We can not change it anyways, because the Trade Sreen is in the exe.)

Yes, there is a setting and according logic for max gold a Native Nation will be willing to trade with you in a single trade transaction.
    (It is supposed to prevent exploits and also to prevent stupd AI behaviour when trading with natives.)

Once you make your first offer, the "max. gold per trade transaction" will be checked.
    (And listed in the trade assest list like that.)

This is also Vanilla behaviour by the way.

This setting is however only considered in "normal Trading".
    My "Bargainig" feature is able to work around / ignore it.

So again, it is also no bug.
    (And again, we can not change it generally - we could only the setting "max. gold per trade transaction" but we would potentially allow exploits / stupid AI behaviour in normal Trading.)

----------

Seriously guys, not everything is a bug. ;)
    (Bugs are mainly things that are broken and not "working as desgined".)

Sometimes there are reasons for things working as they do.

Those reasons might often simply be "technical limitations" or to avoid "incredible efforts for implementation".
    But in other cases the feature was really designed to work that way.

But of course I know, that it is difficult or sometimes impossible to understand them all if you are not a modder. :thumbsup:
    Sometimes we simply need to understand though, that this is just an "imperfect game" that needs to make compromises and not always as realistic, consistent or correct as real world.