[We the People] Bug reporting

Spoiler :

upload_2021-6-12_13-31-31.png

The square to the left of my Seasoned Scout looks like the normal, passable permafrost and builds a landbrigde to the north. However it is impassable and labeled as "Ice/Permafrost" IMPASSABLE, just like the Ice to the right of the scout.

If that is WAD then the difference to the normal permafrost is not very obvious from looking at it.

The square to the left of my Seasoned Scout looks like the normal, passable permafrost and builds a landbrigde to the north. However it is impassable and labeled as "Ice/Permafrost" IMPASSABLE, just like the Ice to the right of the scout.

If that is WAD then the difference to the normal permafrost is not very obvious from looking at it.
I have no idea how to fix that from a graphical point of view. However ice should never form on land meaning ice on permafrost shouldn't happen. In other words the ice has been placed there with world builder, either by you or the scenario map creator. The issue is the map, not the graphics.

Sure looks like this is the case. Odds are that 600 is what the game will act on and the 200 is just a text string not connected to game logic.
also encountered a bug, I suppose it is not a map size, but marathon speed. like, 2 cargo loads of lumber (which is 100 on normal and 300 on mararhon). Looks like the similar with my question in "quick questions" about livestock: texts doesn't "know" about game speed cargo scaling

I have no idea how to fix that from a graphical point of view. However ice should never form on land meaning ice on permafrost shouldn't happen. In other words the ice has been placed there with world builder, either by you or the scenario map creator. The issue is the map, not the graphics.

The map I play on is RAR Americas gigantic. I don´t remember if it was the random or nonrandom one in that game.

However ice should never form on land meaning ice on permafrost shouldn't happen.
He is playing a "Scenario Map" and things like this can easily be done by MapBuilder - there is nothing that prevents MapBuilder to do such things.
It is thus not a bug in the game, it is a bug in the Map - I will correct it. :thumbsup:

I don´t remember if it was the random or nonrandom one in that game
It is definitely the "random" - because such stuff is impossible to be generated by the game itself (with our XML settings).
It can only be created by MapBuilder.

event about lumber needed for navy: 200 tons but removing 600 units? Shouldn´t scales and weights be used consistently to avoid confusion?
Or is the 600 scaled due to gigantic mapsize and the 200 fixed in the event text?
That is corrected now. :thumbsup:
Thanks for reporting.

"Ice/Permafrost" IMPASSABLE,
It is now corrected in the newest version for Release 3.0. :)
That is why I do not like these "non-random" Scenario Maps ... stuff like that is impossible with our "randon maps" now ...

Looks like the similar with my question in "quick questions" about livestock: texts doesn't "know" about game speed cargo scaling
To make it simple, I will quote what you refer to.
How many livestock/sheeps/horses is needed to breed at maximum speed? Colopedia says it is "1 load", but a load is different in different speed and it looks like the required amount is still 100 at marathon.
The issue is that RaR has mainly been played on normal speed and as such we might have text and code assuming all games to use normal game speed. For whatever reason marathon has suddenly become really popular lately and that uncovers those issues. Ideally it should work on any game speed, meaning there is nothing we can do other than let players report issues as they are encountered and then try to fix them.

In general I plan to review the code for yield production on plots at some point. It has performance issues, but also rounding issues. You can experience producing 2 horses/turn and adding a single one to the warehouse changes production to 4/turn. It's however not a trivial part of the code to mod, particularly considering it's a significant contributor to the AI waiting time, meaning performance really matters for this one. I don't know when I will get around to do this as it could be a time consuming job to get it right.

Hi guys,

Those "GameSpeed issues" are easy to fix once we get to know them. :)
I will take care of fixing he "GameSpeed issue" with "Livestock Breeding".

Checking / adjusting to Gamespeed is just easily forgotten, when you implement. ;)
Especially for me, since I am only playing and testing on "Normal".

But again:
It will be fixed in a few minutes. :thumbsup:

Edit:
It is fixed now. :thumbsup:
I had really forgotten to consider GameSpeed in the feature. :blush:

Last edited:
The AI doesn't understand settlers and is making Prepared Settlers into scouts and other military units. They're expensive and valuable and one would use them to start colonies. I'm on the most difficult level.

Attachments

• col.png
    col.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
They're expensive and valuable and one would use them to start colonies.

It is not the Unit that is so valuable.
It is the Profession (the Yields it needs to equip) that is so valuable.

After the "Prepared Settler in Profession Settler" (really really valuable) has founded a Colony it is just a "Prepared Settler" (and much less valuable).

Every other Expert - without Equipment - is much more valuable.
(Because it has much higher Bonusses.)

The AI doesn't understand settlers ...
That is not true. :nono:

AI understands "Settler Profession" perfectly fine.
It has absolutely no issues with it.

... and is making Prepared Settlers into scouts and other military units. T
Why not? :dunno:

It has served its purpose already and already founded a colony.
Since its food bonus is so low, AI then decided (afterwards) that it would best be used in "Scout Profession".

If it does not yet have the required Yields to found the next colony or if it does not even want another colony now what should it do?
Have the Unit "Prepared Settler" sit around idle and do nothing?

No, it does the only thing smart:
It gives the Unit "Prepared" Settler another job.

-----

Maybe you do not yet understood the difference between Professions and Units? :dunno:
(That is often the case when players have just played Civ4 before.)

Profession -> Single Purpose
Unit -> Mutliple Purpose (that can chose different Professions)

To understand Civ4Col / WTP:
separate Unit value and Profession value in your brain. :thumbsup:

-----

From what I see, there is no bug. :thumbsup:
AI is behaving smart actually.

Last edited:
The AI doesn't understand settlers and is making Prepared Settlers into scouts and other military units. They're expensive and valuable and one would use them to start colonies. I'm on the most difficult level.
My best guess is that a unit with a settler profession founded a colony. That unit then became a citizen. At some point the colony had enough horses to assign a scout profession and the AI took a citizen to create the scout. By chance it happened to be the unit, which founded the colony. It has no special settler meaning after it no longer has the settler profession.

If anything, the AI should prefer a free colonist rather than a prepared settler as the prepared settler has a food production bonus. Maybe it does prefer the free colonist, but just happen to have none.

... and is now living...?
Well, she is simply not dead. :lol:

No, the atmospheric text is much longer than that and actually tells a great story ...
It is a pitty it is not fully displayed ... :sad:

No, the atmospheric text is much longer than that and actually tells a great story ...
It is a pitty it is not fully displayed ... :sad:
It annoys me that the window apparently has such a limited space for text. However I just noticed something interesting. DawnOfMan (which is the name of the "event" you get when you start) is opened as a popup window, but the code rejects opening a popup window. Instead it calls python to open a window. If we copy that approach to achievements, then we can add a brand new python window where we can control the size, resize the text area and set it to add a scrollbar if the text is too long.

It will require some work though as it means rewriting (at least partially) what happens when clicked and it "avoids" the popup window's automatic network code meaning we will require a new network command for CvPlayer. Despite the workload involved, it doesn't look unrealistic and it might happen eventually. It does hit us where we are weakest though: time. We need somebody with time to implement it.

Regarding the "Prepared Settler" discussion above :

You can use diplomacy to see if AI has more than one settlement.
1512 is fairly early in the game. Maybe AI got a free prepared settler from the docks and sold the equipment to buy horses since a free scout in early game is very valuable regarding all the native presents and free treasures from goody huts. Or AI dropped the equipment in a colony to use the tools for construction. (I once conquered a colony with 3 Hardy Pioneers working in the city but almost no tools, so AI probably had used all the tools for buildings.)
In general the prepared settler is a bit expensive to regularly buy him in europe at start.

I took 3 cities from New France in a war.

Then I wanted to send my mounted Conquistador to one of my new, not yet garrisoned cities.

And despite the way being clear as far as I can see the game asks me if I want to declare war on Logan...?

Spoiler :

upload_2021-6-15_18-59-32.png

And despite the way being clear as far as I can see the game asks me if I want to declare war on Logan...?
The natives still considers it their land even if some European kicked them out. It's related to the issue where you can found a colony on free land and then natives declare war because they did not consider it free, but you have no way of knowing that.

Check the Plot (of the City). ;)
I bet that there is a Native Unit (of Logan) on that City Plot.

So for the game you are not just moving to your City.
You are moving on a Plot with a Unit of another Nation.

Thus it asks if you want ot attack. :thumbsup:
It has to do that otherwise you could never attack Units in friendly Cities.

Summary:

If there is a Native on that City Plot everything is working 100% as designed.
Otherwise we have a bug which we need to analyze.

Last edited:
Top Bottom