What about AI?

Piernik

Prince
I love civilization, but the weakest part of CiV was AI.
Will it be fixed?
Religion and espionage are great, but what about the most important thing - AI?
Can anyone has a link to review where AI is praised??

I don't have a link available to me right now, but from what I've heard the diplomatic AI has been heavily tweaked, and is somewhat less likely to auto-hate you.

As far as the strategic AI goes, all I've heard mention of was the improved naval tactics. As far as I'm aware, we haven't had any news yet about ground or air tactics.

Hope this helped.

~R~

I heard a mention at some point of that the AI can now plan an attack much further in advance than before, so they must have changed something.

Normally they claim the AI is improved - and it isn't. If this time they're not even making that claim, I am slightly worried...

I'm going with no. The overriding issue with the AI - in that rather than making it better as the difficulty levels increase, they've just buffed it - is not something I expect will be fixed within the lifetime of CiV. CiVI perhaps.

It does seem they are making some changes which will affect how the AI behaves, but not actually modifying the AI's code a great deal. For example, I've heard that the 'trying to win the game the same way as them' modifier is going. Then there are things like embassies, which will improve relations as suggested by one of the screenshots, and in the later game espionage will allow you to improve relations with AI 1 by telling him that AI 2 is planning to attack. And then there's the same/different social policy aspect as well, which will influence later diplomacy. The combat AI may also get an indirect boost through the changes they're making to the combat system (the move to 100HP) as well.

There's definitely scope for some improvements to come out of G&K. I'm not expecting huge changes, to be honest. But I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong. :)

In my opinion the weakes part of ciV was AI - mainly tactical.
If firaxis didn't fixed it I would be very surprised because AI was loudly criticied...

Raiki said:
Yes, but that quote was specifically talking about the naval AI. The said, exactly, that the AI could now plan and execute a naval attack in 10 turns rather than 30.

~R~

Yeah I really wonder what this means. Does the 10 turns take unit production into account? Just the embarking phase? The journey?
The AI in vanilla did not bothered me because it took too long to plan naval invasion but because it just plain never did it seriously (oh that's cute, two knights and an archer against my artillery, free xp).

But if they do now, even in more than 10 turns it would be cool. I'm actually rather excited!

The Czech review of the unfinished build said the AI was still abysmal both in battles and in diplomacy. It also said there weren't any improvements for naval combat, which seems strange at least.

Well: Removing the "They think we are going after a similar method of victory" helps on the margins. Its one of the items the human had no control of.

As to naval, the main new feature is some ships are now melee while others remain bombard.
This leads to if you have a mix, you'll want the ranged ships behind the melee ones. But at the moment the AI has trouble remembering to keep land ranged units behind melee. So it appears that either the naval AI will now suffer from this same problem or they'll have fixed the land ranged problem while they were working on preventing this naval issue.

But basically, the AI system needs a major overhaul. Whenever they release the dll, you'll probably see a group on this site start something like a Better AI mod.

The Czech review of the unfinished build said the AI was still abysmal both in battles and in diplomacy. It also said there weren't any improvements for naval combat, which seems strange at least.

This is thirdhand knowledge for me, but I've heard that a CivFanatic who actually reads Czech said that this guy clearly had an axe to grind.

Take that as you will.

~R~

I am trying to find the episode where Dennis Shirk talks about how the AI can launch amphib invasions faster. We need a thread that has all the interviews listed with links.

Here is the PAX East interview where Dennis Shirk talks about the changes to the naval AI. Start watching at 1:03:00 into the video.

http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/314356244 It may take a few for the vid to get to that point.

Quoted from the front page of the official GaK website:

"World Domination
The fight for world domination is now more dynamic than ever before. The Gods and Kings expansion features a reworked combat system and AI that puts more emphasis on a balanced army composition. The new system allows your lines to stand longer than they could before, so you, as a player, can make smarter tactical decisions without worrying about a single unlucky roll of the dice."

"Naval Combat
Your navy is now split into two different ship types, melee and ranged. This means that no coastal city should be considered safe, and can now fall to a surprise naval attack. Additionally, all embarked units now have Defensive Embarkation, and can stack with a naval unit for extra protection. Add to this the new Great Admiral, and the high seas have become a much more dangerous place."

So, embarked units that can defend and stack with a ship (but if the protector ship sinks, what happens to the unit under it?) and improved AI army composition. It doesn't promise the AI can organize the better army into something useful, however.

This is thirdhand knowledge for me, but I've heard that a CivFanatic who actually reads Czech said that this guy clearly had an axe to grind.

Take that as you will.

~R~

Its the internet everyone hates everyone...Anyway if he got to play the game before us and is saying that "Hey its the same AI just a different box" then yes hate or no hate I'd still be worried....

I mean its one thing if the AI still has issues with naval invasions..(thats to be expected)but if they are still the same AI as the last time they were "buffed" up and no improvements have been made to the core AI...then why are we even buying Gods and Kings??...

For the new resources or for religion...seems thats all that is NEW...

I think with the added HP and the ability for naval units to defend themselves AI will be able to give us a good fight. I've been playing Warlock: MoA a lot over the past week, i've had some epic battles but I put this down to more HP and Naval defence instead of better AI. There have been times in Civ V where I get worried about the size of an AI army only for it to put its best units into the sea next to my caravels for easy pickings.

The diplomatic AI is really something they should fix. It should be possible to build positive and lasting relations with other civs. If not, this expansion is complete fail.

New content is nice, but with an AI that hates you no matter what the game is just not fun, no matter what content they include.

Take that as you will.

~R~

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly trust what that reviewer had to say. A lot of the focus in interviews and previews has been on the new features, but there has been reasonably consistent mention of AI/diplomacy improvements. I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't attempt to make changes to those parts of the game.

I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't attempt to make changes to those parts of the game.
I found it hard to imagine they would release a new game called Civilization, with all the good stuff stripped from previous versions, and then add those same features in "expansions" that you have to pay for, oh, and release a game that crash on large maps for most of the players and take a full year to fix it is kinda unimaginable as well. But hey...

Firaxis have a great deal of past stuff to make up for. Luckily for them, we, the fans, still love them and hope they will get it right.

Our patience is not endless though.

Try not to worry, the expansion will be everything we expected. I really hope I don't have to eat my words? :lol:

Top Bottom