What after the New Frontier Pass - the end or more

Wouldn’t Civ6 be the first game in a long time without a spin-off to utilize the existing game engine?

Civ4 had ‘Colonization 2’.
Civ5 had ‘Beyond Earth’.
(Was there actually a spin-off of Civ3? I never played it and therefore didn’t pay attention.)

I still believe we will get a new game using Civ6’s engine before Civ7 will launch.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t Civ6 be the first game in a long time without a spin-off to utilize the existing game engine?

Civ4 had ‘Colonization’.
Civ5 had ‘Beyond Earth’.
(Was there actually a spin-off of Civ3? I never played it and therefore didn’t pay attention.)

I still believe we will get a new game using Civ6’s engine before Civ7 will launch.
So, two had spin offs in the franchise?
I'm not saying you're wrong, we could well get a spin off, and it may well be an actual philosophy in the company, but two points is a very small sample to base a projection off, especially since one was a remake. The other issue is the pandemic - I think that would have made it less likely that they'll do a spin off and will instead focus on going for another major title to get the money rolling in again.

Personally though, I wouldn't get particularly excited about a spin off. It's not like I'm particularly attached to the Civ VI engine, and I'm not particularly thirsty for a genre change. Civ VII would probably excite me more, hopefully with a better engine, a lot of lessons learnt from VI and a fresh outlook on the mechanics that will give an improved experience. VI was good, but I think VII has a lot of potential.
Edit: maybe the fantasy game modes was Firaxis getting the genre change out of their system or testing the waters.

So, two had spin offs in the franchise?
I'm not saying you're wrong, we could well get a spin off, and it may well be an actual philosophy in the company, but two points is a very small sample to base a projection off, especially since one was a remake. The other issue is the pandemic - I think that would have made it less likely that they'll do a spin off and will instead focus on going for another major title to get the money rolling in again.

Personally though, I wouldn't get particularly excited about a spin off. It's not like I'm particularly attached to the Civ VI engine, and I'm not particularly thirsty for a genre change. Civ VII would probably excite me more, hopefully with a better engine, a lot of lessons learnt from VI and a fresh outlook on the mechanics that will give an improved experience. VI was good, but I think VII has a lot of potential.
Edit: maybe the fantasy game modes was Firaxis getting the genre change out of their system or testing the waters.
Civ1 was followed by "Colonization", Civ2 had "Fantastic Worlds" as a DLC, in fact it's only between civ3 and civ4 that no spinoff were made, but there was only 4 years between those titles, which is also an exception.

About what's next, IMO we're either getting a spinoff this year or civ7 next year. In both case it could be possible to have a second season pass for civ6, as I do think the first season was made by a smaller team while the bigger part of the civilization team is working since GS release on a spinoff or civ7.

Civ1 was followed by "Colonization", Civ2 had "Fantastic Worlds" as a DLC,
Civ2 was followed by famous "Alpha Centauri".

"Fantastic Worlds" was a quite unplanned compilation of checked & selected modders efforts, officially published ...

IIRC

Soon™LostWorld
[[
playing CIV: build an empire, rule the world, stand the test of time ... (under given rules)
modding CIV: create the world, make the rules, be GOD ... (watching the AIPlayers "build" their empires)
]]

EDIT: Mixed it up, the scenarios created by fans were in the first expansion "Conflicts in Civilization"

Last edited:
About what's next, IMO we're either getting a spinoff this year or civ7 next year. In both case it could be possible to have a second season pass for civ6, as I do think the first season was made by a smaller team while the bigger part of the civilization team is working since GS release on a spinoff or civ7.

Don't say that F'xis is after modders and simply recruit them for 2nd Season? If there's one i'd like to See Siam and Burma duking each other in addition to duking against Dai Viet while pleasing Big China in the same time. (Unless one is ready to meet much larger Imperial Forces and confidence that he will fend off such invaders long enough, so far only Kaungbaung Burma was capable of).

Was there actually a spin-off of Civ3?
Civ3 was the first with all the expansions planned out from the beginning, ie. on purpose "missing parts" initially. (IIRC Eg. ResearchLab not available in vanilla :eek:, but they learned from that)
I suppose, Soren Johnson was quite impatient to implement civ4 from scratch. The releases from vanilla to 2nd expansion took just 21 months. (It's a great feeling to have a whole engine in brain and know instantly where to tweak etc. -- before memory begins to fade ...)

Reactions: PiR
I would be surprised if there’s not more DLC. Civ 7 is going to take forever to develop. The expectation level around a new 4x game will be absurd.

They’ll need to have culturally relevant, geographically and ethnically representative, and reasonably balanced factions and wonders.

Along with pretty well developed domination and science win conditions, they’ll have to figure out new ways to think about culture, religion, diplomacy and maybe an economic win condition.

While they muddle through that over 24 months or so, how do they keep making money? Sell us Venice and Assyria with two new wonders for $8.

How can you say it has potential if we know nothing about it? Just from the previous iterations made by the same company?
Just that the game, in principle, is good. With the experimentation that came with VI, I they could use that to build a fantastic game that exceeds VI. They can strip off the bits that restrain VI and then rebuild the game with the good parts.of VI plus some good new ideas.

Sure, I'm using a very insubstantial form of "potential", but I think VI is a great springboard for the next iteration. Of course they could fluff it right up, but that's why I said it had potential, and not that it would be great.

Hope they finally fix the play by cloud's load game button which they broke for two years

I'm wondering, as the computers do not progress so much any more in terms of computing power, how it will affect a future Civ 7, versus the expectations, and what we are used to in terms of "progress" between each iteration.

A quantum computer version? :lol:
So your units can be in two places at once and no one is sure what will be the outcome of "one more turn"? :crazyeye:

They made the following remark at the end of this month's update video:

"We hope you'll continue to follow us on social media to keep up to date on all the latest in the Civilization franchise. For one thing be sure to check back up in April as we reveal the final free game update of the season."

So I've already mentioned the word Season used yet again in a different thread, but I think the words Civilization franchise in this instance are also curious. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

I thought ''... of the season'' implied there would be another season, so another pass.

It would be in line with today's business practices in the gaming sector, but I really wish there would be an expansion back that adds larger overarching game mechanics. Something I don't think is possible through these DLC content drops.

They made the following remark at the end of this month's update video:

"We hope you'll continue to follow us on social media to keep up to date on all the latest in the Civilization franchise. For one thing be sure to check back up in April as we reveal the final free game update of the season."

So I've already mentioned the word Season used yet again in a different thread, but I think the words Civilization franchise in this instance are also curious. Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

I hope Haiti can come in this season

I thought ''... of the season'' implied there would be another season, so another pass.

It would be in line with today's business practices in the gaming sector, but I really wish there would be an expansion back that adds larger overarching game mechanics. Something I don't think is possible through these DLC content drops.
Its possible, but it would be likevtye BotW DLC - you have to buy it as a whole, so they can make it interact with each other. You can't pick and mix like you could with NFP

1991 Civilization
1994 Colonization
1996 Civilization II
1999 Alpha Centauri
2001 Civilization III
2005 Civilization IV
2010 Civilization V
2014 Civilization: Beyond Earth
2016 Civilization VI

every 5 year a new game except civ5 and 6 , that could mean next year civ7
as for the spinoffs look like they came 2 years before the next iteration. i can see the NFP as a kind of spinoff with all the new game modes being tested and of course there is red death too. I am sure if NFP sold very well then there is a miniscule chance that we could get a second season but then again these things are planned years and years in advance and civ7 would instantly make the company a lot more money then a second season.
If they hired additional devs maybe but then why would they create competition for themselves between civ7 and another season?

A quantum computer version? :lol:
So your units can be in two places at once and no one is sure what will be the outcome of "one more turn"? :crazyeye:
:lol: At least that would mean that they are able to use the quantum CPU, because most process can't take advantage of multi core processes. :(

every 5 year a new game except civ5 and 6 , that could mean next year civ7
That's a good point.

I would rather compare lifecycle though.

2005 Civilization IV
2006 expansion 1 Warlords
2007 expansion 2 BTS
2008 spinoff Colonization
2009 for Mac

2010 Civilization V
2012 expansion 1
2013 expansion 2

2014 Civilization: Beyond Earth
2015 expansion 1
Civilization VI
2018 expansion 1
2019 expansion 2
2020-2021 NFP

So there's new content (almost) each year. Could be another season as well as a new title.

Top Bottom