What are minor civs?

cuximodo

Chieftain
Is there any in the 1.9 mod? do they have a stability map? Can someone explain the differences and how it works?

thank you so much.

PS: great work on 1.9. Thank you.

Is there any in the 1.9 mod? do they have a stability map? Can someone explain the differences and how it works?

thank you so much.

PS: great work on 1.9. Thank you.

Same as regular civs except they are "weaker" and are supposed to have a rather negligible effect on the game compared to regular civilizations (although that is arguable). In term of technicality, nothing they enjoy the same benifits as regular civilization (UP,UB, Stability area, you know the whole nine yards).

It depends on your definition of minor civs~
Beside the upcoming 6 civs + Thai + Italy + Seljuk, like J. Pride has mentioned above, in a lesser extent, Celtics, Vanilla Byzantine in RFC, Independent 1 and Independent 2 is also a minor civs.

Celtics, I1 and I2 do not have stability map iirc.

I must admit I've used the term "minor civ" a little inconsistently recently.

The actual meaning of the term in BtS (yes, it's an actual term in the game's architecture) means a civ that cannot conduct diplomacy and isn't meant to be played. In RFC, it's also characterized by not having stability, settler and city name maps, and of course no UP and UHV.

By that original definition, the celts, natives and both independent factions are minor civs.

I've also used the term minor to refer to civilizations whose impact on the game is marginal and who could be absent from the game without problems. Specifically the recent additions (Tamils, Moors, Poland ...), but also some civs that are already there (Italy, Thailand ...). The point behind this is that I want to add the possibility to exclude them from your game or randomize their appearance.

Moderate civs? Marginal Civs?
Perhaps once that feature is in Optional civs. We could start using that already.

Thank you. Ya it's just a name, I just wondering if they get UHV UU etc. Thank you for your explanation.

So... you will keep adding new minor/optional civs in the coming version? It's cool. sometimes I dream to combine all the RFC modmods of different parts of the world together, a super RFC with hundreds of civs, a double giant map size, and one splendid new PC...(ya also a part of my dream)

How about this division of naming for consistency.
Primary Civs: The core Civs that are in vanilla RFC and the game really won't work without, (ex. China, "vanilla" India, Egypt, Persia, Rome, Arabia, Mongols, etc.)
Secondary Civs: The new DoC civs and respawns, what Leoreth referred to as not critical to the core game (ex. Poland, Tamils, Moors, Italy, Thais, etc.)
Those two categories can be referred to as Major Civs.

Minor Civs: Seljuks, Celts, Natives, Indies off the top of my head, those who are scripted

Yeah, secondary civs is probably a good name.

On the other hand, I don't want dozens of Polish nationalists come crashing down on me because their country was degraded again :D

Ah, Poland. It was already decided they were in North Africa, secondary isn't going to make it much worse :D

True :D

I know this sounds kind of silly, but I was wondering if the Huns could be added as a minor civ with Attila the Hun as the leader. I am already aware of the scripted Barbs to attack Europe, but maybe it could be more specific?
Or maybe some barbarian cities could spawn in Eastern Europe to represent the Huns.

Just a suggestion

We don't really know enough about the Huns to have them do anything. And they didn't exist for very long.

How about this division of naming for consistency.
Primary Civs: The core Civs that are in vanilla RFC and the game really won't work without, (ex. China, "vanilla" India, Egypt, Persia, Rome, Arabia, Mongols, etc.)
Secondary Civs: The new DoC civs and respawns, what Leoreth referred to as not critical to the core game (ex. Poland, Tamils, Moors, Italy, Thais, etc.)
Those two categories can be referred to as Major Civs.

Minor Civs: Seljuks, Celts, Natives, Indies off the top of my head, those who are scripted

Colonial Civs: Next in line to be added by Leoreth after the secondary civs, and focusing on South/Central America in particular (Columbia, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and Peru the major candidates.) These civs will also have a less prominent effect on the game, but reflect the decolonization of the Americas and 'Rise and Fall' of civilizations in the area most nicely.

We don't really know enough about the Huns to have them do anything. And they didn't exist for very long.

Yeah I guess your right, also Europe would be very messed up if they were added :lol:

I like the idea of being able to cherry-pick which "optional" civs you want to appear in your individual game, however...

There is already so much alternating feedback, (I'm looking at when iOnlySignIn and I debate the particulars of different difficulty + game speed)
that a sort of standardized setting will be difficult to decide upon.

It will make future changes very difficult to deal with from a player perspective.
Say an Indian player chooses to play without Tamils.
And another plays with the Tamils active. The kinds of changes each will request in response to their own opinion will likely have an adverse effect on the other, because it's setting specific.

Perhaps just an all or nothing?

Top Bottom