What Civ would you like to see have a new leader or alternate one?

H

HorseHead

Of Civs already in VI, if they return in VII which ones would you like to see have a new leader or alternate leader added? And of them, which leader?

I'd like to see Henri IV for France, and I think Septimius Severus would be interesting for Rome.

I've also put some thought into the United States. TBH I think it's pretty probable we'll see Washington or Lincoln back for Civ7, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more unexpected choice. My top pick would be John Adams, a man noted both for his unswerving commitment to his principles and for his short temper. I also think Harry Truman would be an unexpected but interesting choice. I personally dislike Truman, but I think he'd make an interesting choice.

Nezahualcóyotl the poet king of Texcoco for the Aztecs.

If Firaxis insists on use the broad term Aztecs insted of just Mexicas, then we can have leaders from the Acolhuas, Tepanecs, Tlaxcaltecs, etc. This king would be perfect for a culture leader and his synergy with the Calmécac college as unique building.

I've also put some thought into the United States. TBH I think it's pretty probable we'll see Washington or Lincoln back for Civ7, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more unexpected choice. My top pick would be John Adams, a man noted both for his unswerving commitment to his principles and for his short temper. I also think Harry Truman would be an unexpected but interesting choice. I personally dislike Truman, but I think he'd make an interesting choice.
When thinking about the United States I agree that Truman would be interesting but I think he is too controversial to likely be added (I agree that I am not a huge fan of him and I think that that is a pretty common viewpoint in the US) I'm not a huge fan of Washington as the leader because things did not really go great during the time when he was president. I mean, there was little economic growth and a pretty significant uprising. Honestly, I'd like to see Lincoln as the leader the most but I do agree that Adams would be okay. I think another interesting choice could be LBJ and would be interested in seeing him.

But for other civs, I would like to see Isabella for Spain. I also want to see Augustas as a leader for Rome.

I think another interesting choice could be LBJ and would be interested in seeing him.
If Truman is too controversial... :crazyeye: I mean, he'd be less controversial than the other President Johnson. :mischief:

If Truman is too controversial... :crazyeye: I mean, he'd be less controversial than the other President Johnson. :mischief:
You would think but at least from what I have seen living in the US, Johnson is significantly less controversial than Truman. I don't like either but the general consensus seems to be that. That's why I think the Lincoln will be the next leader in Civ VII.

I fully expect to see a new leader for France. I'd love to see the return of Louis XIV personally.

I would also like Elizabeth I to at least return again for England.

For CIV 7, I would to see many newcomer leaders instead of returning leaders, returning leaders can be alternate leader like iconic leaders such as Gandhi, Genghis Khan and Alexander will be second leader of civs instead.

there are many newcomer leaders, I would like to see such as

For Egypt, Senusret III or Thutmose III would be a good choice for Egyptian leader.

For China, I would like to see Yongle Emperor leading China.

For Russia, I would like to see Ivan III or Alexander Nevsky

For Germany, Otto I (Founder of Holy Roman Empire) or Maximilian I would be a good choice.

For Japan, I would like to see Kanmu Emperor, Japan needs non Samurai ruler this time as in the past Japan leader tend to be Samurai like Oda Nobunaga, Tokugawa Ieyasu and Hojo Tokimune.

For England, Alfred the Great is a good choice for Anglo Saxon leader, if its post Norman invasion leader, the best choice for newcomer is Edward Longshanks

For France, I would like to see Francis I as a French leader in CIV 7.

For Persia, Khosrau I would be a great choice as newcomer leader for Persia, Sassanid needs to be represented Persia this time because all Persian leaders in CIV series were Achaemenid.

For Mongolia, If Genghis Khan or Kublai Khan is not picked as Mongolian leader in civ 7, I think the best candidate is Ogedei Khan. The other good choices are Mandukai Khatun and Batu Khan

For Arabia, I would like to see Arwa al-Sulayhi or Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan as leader of Arabia

For India, I would like to see Harshavardhana as leader of India

For Rome, I would like to see Marcus Aurelius as leader of Rome

Last edited:
You would think but at least from what I have seen living in the US, Johnson is significantly less controversial than Truman.
Truman left office unpopular; LBJ left office so hated by both sides he died of a heart attack a month later. And Truman's image has been refurbished somewhat (he's nowhere near as unpopular as he used to be), whereas I haven't seen a similar revision of LBJ. I think LBJ actually gets more or less forgotten, wedged between the charismatic idiot JFK and the brilliant but ruthlessly amoral and paranoid Richard Nixon.

That's why I think the Lincoln will be the next leader in Civ VII.
Ah, "Honest" Abe, the most ironically named of all US presidents. :mischief: Ruthless, brilliant, manipulative, and utterly devoid of hope, with a worldview best described as "deism with a dark Calvinist twist," it will remain a mystery how he earned the "honest" appellation. He was a strong leader when the country needed one, and his assassination was a horrible catastrophe for Reconstruction. Thanks to Johnson's weak leadership, the CSA lost the war and won the peace. I can't respect Lincoln's lack of principles, though. If we get one of the standards, I hope it's Washington, but I'd prefer someone new and someone antebellum.

For Japan, I would like to see Kanmu Emperor, Japan needs non Samurai ruler this time as in the past Japan leader tend to be Samurai like Oda Nobunaga, Tokugawa Ieyasu and Hojo Tokimune.
There's a reason for this: you're not allowed to depict the Japanese emperors in Japan, and Japan is a major market. I'm just glad Civ6 stepped away from the Edo period/Sengoku Jidai to give us a Kamakura shikken. Perhaps Civ7 could choose a Heian aristocrat like Fujiwara no Michinaga or Taira no Kiyomori.

A cigarette-puffing Churchill would make a great leaderscreen, but England does have a dozen great choices to pick from.

Stalin would be nice and sinister but not sure if he will ever be put in the game again.

A cigarette-puffing Churchill would make a great leaderscreen
Ratings. CdM can't even sip wine, and Poundmaker's pipe is unlit. It's stupid, but it's what it is.

England: any leader who is not Elizabeth, Victoria or Churchill. Some early modern era prime minister or especially medieval kings would feel fresh (Alfred the Great etc)
France: other leader than Louis XIV and Napoleon would be refreshing, thought I prefer Louis from those two, because I have similar problem with Napoleon as with Alexander and Gandhi: extreme personalities of those people derail their multifaceted civilizations too much. Greece and France rarely get to shine as beacons of science, culture and economy in those games, because they are lead by super hardcore warmongering maniacs. India is the opposite case, with the entire enormously varied civilization always being tied down to very boring, passive, peaceful cliche.
Persia: for the love of God, can we please get once Iran that is not 100% Achaemenid? No Cyrus, no Darius, no Immortal unit? I'd explode from happiness if we got Islamic scientific/cultural Persia for once, but even Sasanians would be great improvement.
Germany: it would be real refreshing if instead of brutal, militarist realpolitik Frederick/Bismarck we got some idealist German leader, like Frederick II (amazing medieval king, very original personality in general) or one of creators of post WW2 Germany.
Spain: no Isabella.
Rome: Aurelian, Diocletian, Constantine would be refreshing, from the late empire for once.
Arabia: whoever is not Harun ar - Rashid or Saladin. Personally I am very fond of Abbasid scientific caliphs, but Baybars would be cool too.
America: whoever but please not Lincoln.
India: whoever but for the love of God please not Gandhi, also if I will see here this extremely tired (and kind of insulting to his memory) meme once again I will melt of exhaustion. So far we got two Mauryan leaders already, so some Gupta, Chola or Maratha ruler would be an interesting change.
China: whoever but not Shi Huangdi, Wu Zetian, or God forbid Mao.
Russia: Peter and Catherine are very tired choices. I'd love to see some earlier, less Westernized Russian ruler - such as Ivan III the Great, Alexander Nevsky or Dmitry Donskoy.
Brazil, Aztec, Inca: whoever but please not Pedro, Montezuma or Pacachuti, someone fresh for once.
Japan: I'd love to see Japanese female ruler for once instead of manly samurais, would make me feel katharsis against all miserable stories I have read about the extent of sexism in Japanese society. Fun fact, the amount of women in Japanese parliament, and serving top political and economic positions is extremely low and at the level of some orthodox Islamic religious law countries - as is this country's rating in various gender gap/parity indexes.

Truman left office unpopular; LBJ left office so hated by both sides he died of a heart attack a month later. And Truman's image has been refurbished somewhat (he's nowhere near as unpopular as he used to be), whereas I haven't seen a similar revision of LBJ. I think LBJ actually gets more or less forgotten, wedged between the charismatic idiot JFK and the brilliant but ruthlessly amoral and paranoid Richard Nixon.
Oh yes, definitely in their day but now-a-days I feel like Truman would anger people more but it is probably best to not have either in the game.
I can't respect Lincoln's lack of principles, though. If we get one of the standards, I hope it's Washington, but I'd prefer someone new and someone antebellum.
In a lot of ways, I agree. I really would not mind either.
A cigarette-puffing Churchill would make a great leaderscreen, but England does have a dozen great choices to pick from.
True, he could work but I don't think he would be the best for England considering their histroy.
Stalin would be nice and sinister but not sure if he will ever be put in the game again.
Having the USSR and Russia seems kinda weird to me and considering the length and depth of Russia's history they have some better choices I feel.
For CIV 7, I would to see many newcomer leaders instead of returning leaders, returning leaders can be alternate leader like iconic leaders such as Gandhi, Genghis Khan and Alexander will be second leader of civs instead.
I think in some ways having Indira Gandhi as a alternate leader would work well and I would like to see that. I really agree with your suggestions for Rome, Germany and China.

any leader who is not Elizabeth
As an Elizabeth I fan, we can't stop having Elizabeth until they portray her right. Ironically, the staid, sedate portrayal in Civ5 would have fit Victoria much better, while the perky, tantrum-throwing Victoria of Civ6 would have better suited Lizzy.

Persia: for the love of God, can we please get once Iran that is not 100% Achaemenid? No Cyrus, no Darius, no Immortal unit? I'd explode from happiness if we got Islamic scientific/cultural Persia for once, but even Sasanians would be great improvement.
I agree about post-Achaemenid Persia, but not about Islamic Persia. The Middle Ages were a low point in Persian history when it was dominated by Arabs and Turks, and the post-Medieval period saw a backlash against Arabicization, Turkicization, and Islamization in favor of Persian nationalism. I'd much rather see a Zoroastrian Persia myself (which pretty much limits the option to Sassanid Persia).

France: other leader than Louis XIV and Napoleon would be refreshing, thought I prefer Louis from those two, because I have similar problem with Napoleon as with Alexander and Gandhi: extreme personalities of those people derail their multifaceted civilizations too much. Greece and France rarely get to shine as beacons of science, culture and economy in those games, because they are lead by super hardcore warmongering maniacs.
I agree with your overall premise of no Napoleon and ideally no Louis XIV, but I think it's actually the other way around for France: France, one of the preeminent military superpowers of the Middle Ages, is consistently The Louvre: The Civilization. I'm not inherently opposed to France as culture civ, but it's about as lopsided as perpetually portraying Korea as The Uber Science civ (on which note, a cultural/religious Korea is at the top of my Civ7 wishlist).

China: whoever but not Shi Huangdi, Wu Zetian, or God forbid Mao.
Out of curiosity, why not Wu? She's only been in the game once. True, China has no shortage of fresh faces, but I wouldn't be sorry to see her again.

Brazil, Aztec, Inca: whoever but please not Pedro, Montezuma or Pacachuti, someone fresh for once.
Civ has three "mascots" of sorts: Gandhi, Montezuma, and Shaka. If I have to have one of them back, I'll take Montezuma--but someone fresh would be nice. It would be nice to have someone new for the Inca, too; the fact we've had Huayna Capac once shows that Firaxis is aware that the Inca were more than just Pachacuti. I'd be happiest if Brazil just didn't come back in Civ7, but we should be so lucky.

Russia: Peter and Catherine are very tired choices. I'd love to see some earlier, less Westernized Russian ruler - such as Ivan III the Great, Alexander Nevsky or Dmitry Donskoy.
I quite agree.

Civ has three "mascots" of sorts: Gandhi, Montezuma, and Shaka.
Umm...What about Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan too? :p
At least I would put them as more of a mascot over Montezuma considering we've had different ones appear. Montezuma I only has appeared in the last two games. The others were Montezuma II.

Umm...What about Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan too? :p
Yeah, Alex is another mascot; though he's a staple, I don't think Genghis is a mascot in the same way. Napoleon has been an on-again, off-again mascot, too, and a happy reminder that mascots can be done away with.

At least I would put them as more of a mascot over Montezuma considering we've had different ones appear. Montezuma I only has appeared in the last two games. The others were Montezuma II.
Look, Firaxis can't be blamed just because they can't tell the difference between a successful ruler who founded an empire and a self-absorbed nutjob who lost said empire. :mischief: That being said, regardless of whether he happens to be I or II, Monty has still been a Civ mascot.

Truman left office unpopular; LBJ left office so hated by both sides he died of a heart attack a month later.

Actually, LBJ died 4 years after finishing his Presidency. That he was unpopular is undoubtedly true.

Actually, LBJ died 4 years after finishing his Presidency. That he was unpopular is undoubtedly true.
You're right. I was conflating him with another unpopular US president, Warren Harding, who died of a heart attack while in office. I do recall reading that the stress of office and his unpopularity contributed to LBJ's poor health and ultimate death by heart attack, though.

Civs most needing new leaders because the ones they have been getting are Getting Old, IMHO:
Greece. Civ has never had a Greek Leader from anything but Classical Greek Athens or Sparta - or Macedon. Just from Athens they could have Solon or Cleisthenes, or an earlier Polykrates of Samos, or a later Jason of Thessaly, or - and here's a Thought: go back to the Greek Bronze Age and ring in Agamemnon or Nestor - by definition Big Personalities!
Germany. Enough of Bismarck or the Prussians. (Although Bismarck virtually started the modern German system of Social Democracy, so he could have Uniques not at all related to either Diplomacy or the military). Why not a leader from the Weimar Republic? It lasted longer than Hitler's Third Reck did, or one of the other strong Early Modern German states: Augustus of Saxony or Maximilian the "Blue King" of Bavaria
Russia. Again, enough of Bolshoi Petr and Ekaterina II. How about Dmitri Donskoye, Prince of Moscow and Grand Prince of Vladimir? or Ivan III or Ivan IV of Muscovy. or Aelksandr, Napoleon's Nemesis? Almost too many choices, and by no means all militant or expansionist.
Rome. A Late Emperor would be a nice change, but what about the Republic? Lucius Junius Brutus, the legendary founder, Tiberius or Gaius Gracchus the reformers, Gaius Marius, elected consul more than any other man in Rome's history, Marcus Tullius Cicero the legalist - lots of variety of choices and potential Uniques.

Top Bottom