1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wit>trope, Oct 4, 2005.

?

In my opinion (pick closest one)

1. That would not be OK

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. That would be OK

41 vote(s)
    63.1%
  3. That would be not just OK, but super!

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. None of the above options are anywhere close to what I think

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

If they don't feel weird about it, I don't see a problem with it.

2. Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde Dr. techn.

No biological problem here. If they grew up together from pre school age on it would be weird and psychologically unhealthy, though.

3. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

I think it would be ok. Not only are they not blood relatives, but they didn't even grow up together, so they're really just strangers whose parents happened to be married to each other.

4. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

I guess for me it would depend on when they became brother and sister, like Mr BLonde. If you've grown up together since a young age, I think it might deserve some second thought, but if they met in 'teenagerhood', I think that it might be ok....

hmmm..wasn't this same situation in Clueless?

5. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The scenario doesn't say how old the children were, so you can't say they didn't grow up together.

6. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

So for those who agree with Mark, you seem to be saying that whether it is OK to love someone is based on when, by fate, you happen to have first met them. Doesn't that just sound WRONG? :) I mean they are no less step siblings if they meet later versus earlier.

It would also mean that you're saying whether it's OK to love someone is determined by when each other's parents happen to meet each other and get together -- if it was later it would be OK, but earlier then no. That just sounds wrong too. But to each his own :)

7. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

It depends clearly whether the kids have grown up together or not. Or to be more accurate, if they knew each other before their puberty. This being said, it's a bit the same problem as friends who knew each other since they are something like 4 or 5 years old and who finally make out once being 16 years old. It could be weird, but it's not wrong. That's up to them.

In my opinion, the problem in here is exactly the same.

8. Fetus4188

Fetus4188 Deity

It would be OK.. just awkward for both parties..

9. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

Considering I wouldn't have a problem even if they were biologically related, I obviously don't have a problem with this.

Unless you consider me thinking to myself, "That's pretty weird," as me having a problem with it.

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

Yeah, keep the south's inbred jokes alive...:lol:

11. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

I'd have to say it's kind of foul, but to each there own as long as they live in the south.

12. Sophie 378

Sophie 378 Avvie by ybbor

I once heard about a card for use in the south - Happy Birthday Uncle Dad.

I'm with Mark. If they grew up thinking of each other as siblings, it would be a bit icky (such a sensible definition...), but if they met as adults through their parents getting together, fine! So I'm not polling.

13. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

Then, if they did grow up together, I'd say the idea of getting married is pretty disturbing. If you grow up with someone you consider your sibling, even if you know they're not blood related, it's rather disturbing you'd want to have sex with that sibling. Don't you think?

I can relate in a way. My cousin and I were separated for about 15 years of our childhood. When I saw her again, I thought she was hot. She's still hot today. Still, even though she's insinuated that "if we weren't related...", I find the concept of having sex with my cousin disturbing.

14. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

In some TV shows, there are story of Father married the mother while the son gets the daughter. Double marriages.

15. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

I would say it isnt incest, but it is still al ittle weird, I havea step sister and the thought of tuching here AT ALL! grosses me out. (She dosnt shower, and she picks at her face)

16. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

I actually feel the same way except for the practical issue of genetic defects, but I was interested in what everyone else thought. I'm glad there's at least one person in the world who thinks the same as me about this :goodjob:

I would think to myself, "That's pretty unique" not so much weird meaning bad but unique meaning kind of good :crazyeye:

17. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

Ok, yeah. At first I thought, 'What's the big deal? They're not blood relatives, so why not?" But yeah, age is a factor.

MGS2 notwithstanding, if the kids were below the age of consent when their parents married, that would be kinda weird. But assuming they were old enough, I don't think it should be anyone's business but their own.

Emmaaaaaaa!

18. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

Genetically not a problem...Socially though - awkward.

19. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

No, I'm saying that the feelings they have for one another is affected by when they meet, or to put it another way, the timing affects their relationship (obviously).

That being said, I wouldn't care too much... but since you asked..........

Incidentally, for someone who thinks that homosexuality is unnatural and therefore immoral, your views on incest are somewhat strange.

20. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

Ugh. Voted for the wrong one.

If a mod sees this, can they change my vote to "That would be OK" it'd be great, thanks in advance.

Anyway, as long as they aren't related by blood, then it's completely fine by me.