What happened to the Aifons?

More than likely Kael hasn't completely figured out what he would say happened. Myself, I think it is better left as a mystery. An entire race mysteriously disappearing, leaving a desolate island, an insane guardian and a withdrawn god is compelling stuff on its own, a resolution just wouldn't be as interesting.

If there were some kind of explanation I think it would be kind of cool if the whole disappearance, and overlords etc. didn't come out of the established lore about gods and stuff but were based on some outside element.

More than likely Kael hasn't completely figured out what he would say happened.

Sadly, I do know the real backstory to this. Which makes it all the more dissapointing when MC and others come up with more interesting and creative solutions. :)

Myself, I think it is better left as a mystery. An entire race mysteriously disappearing, leaving a desolate island, an insane guardian and a withdrawn god is compelling stuff on its own, a resolution just wouldn't be as interesting.

If there were some kind of explanation I think it would be kind of cool if the whole disappearance, and overlords etc. didn't come out of the established lore about gods and stuff but were based on some outside element.

I agree with you 100%. I think the mystery is more appropriate for the overlords and makes for a more interesting back story.

Sadly, I do know the real backstory to this. Which makes it all the more dissapointing when MC and others come up with more interesting and creative solutions. :)

As a DM, I'm assuming you're familiar with Schrodinger's Gun, though you may have a different name for it. I'm not going to ask how many times you've used it in creating Erebus. EDIT: OK, I lied. Feel free to answer it. Please?

Oh, and sorry about the link. :blush:

I just wanna know more about the Overlords. I can accept the Mystery of the iPhones, but I wanna what they are, how they speak to people, why they're around, basically, what the Hell is that religion all about? Aside from lunatics and squids.

As a DM, I'm assuming you're familiar with Schrodinger's Gun, though you may have a different name for it. I'm not going to ask how many times you've used it in creating Erebus. EDIT: OK, I lied. Feel free to answer it. Please?

Oh, and sorry about the link. :blush:

Those are pretty funny links.

Personally most of the history stuff never changed. When things did change during play it was usually with something happening in the present.

I've played in too many games that work out so perfectly that they don't feel real. Most of the time the "non-perfect" answer that was determined before the game began is better than the perfect answer that arises during game play, just because it feels more real. Even more importantly if the players begin to feel like the game is on rails (ie: no matter what they choose it will lead where the DM wants it to go, or no matter what they choose it will be wrong if the DM wants to protect the npc's) then their choices stop mattering. So I tend to let them do whatever they want, and sometimes that means they bypass entire sections I had planned, and sometimes it means they go off on side tasks that turn out to be nothing. Even though both may be less ideal for that game, the reality they build in the game as a whole improves it.

Besides the backstory tended to be so elaborate that if I changed it in the moment I was more likely to conflict with something than to improve the game.

Maybe the Overlords of Freddy Krugerlike. One person dreamed of them (Hemah) and they spread to other people. People worship these dreams and believe everything they hear. Maybe? No? I don't know.

Nobody knows for sure but I had an interesting thought. What if god of water Denalin IS the Octopus Overlords.
Taken from the wiki

It was during this age that the Aifon Trenton Majosi set out on a quest to save his people. He returned with the only salvation possible, a ritual that would allow Danalin to enter creation and save his children. Rather than return to the Godswar, Trenton didn't perform the ritual and the Aifons and Trenton Majosi were destroyed. The loss of his children from creation caused Danalin to withdraw, falling into a sleep from which he hasn't yet woken.

Consider that the Overlords use dreams to control people. Then think of the overlord hero Hemah who does terrible things when he dreams such as killing his entire family. I think that when the god of water's dreams turned dark when then aifon went extinct.

Well, Danalin is dreaming of Hemah (presumably), and Hemah is dreaming of the Overlords. The big casue of Danalin's dark dreams is the fact that Hastur, Lord of Nightmares is whispering in his ear to malipulate him.

Well, Danalin is dreaming of Hemah (presumably), and Hemah is dreaming of the Overlords. The big casue of Danalin's dark dreams is the fact that Hastur, Lord of Nightmares is whispering in his ear to malipulate him.

Technically, hastur is not in full control of Danalin's dreams. He can keep Danalin in the state of constant nightmare and even give a push toward a certain direction or so, but Danalin is still a wildcard.

I never said Hastur was controling him, just manipulating him;)

I don't think Hastur's sane enough to manipulate anyone :p

At least, not sanely.

I mean, destroying the world to provide distraction while whispering to Danalin? :eek:

Yeah, he seems to represent the insanity of the mind sphere, insted of Mammon.

When I think of what an Aifon looks like I keep coming to the pic for Hemah. Some lanky humanoid figure that looks kind of fishy...I also like the idea that Hemah himself might actually be the last of the Aifons...but there is probably some lore already accepted out there that would prove me wrong.

Hemah is just a normal human (well, at lets he looks that way; he may actually be an avatar of Danalin), who wears a mask to prevent himself from seeing his reflections and having nightmares about himself.

The closest living relatives of the Aifons are the amphibious Blue Lizardmen. They appear just like the Grey Lizardmen (who are of human descent) except they are very slightly smaller and weaker on average, and have blue stripes on their chests.

I picture the Aifons as looking essentially human, but with slightly webbed hands and feet, plus gills. I imagine the gills not on the neck but on the chest, likely connected with the lungs. Their gills coverings are the blue chest stripes which their descendants still possess.

Well, it just seems that iPhones were first experiment of eater of dreams. I mean, what else eats souls?

Top Bottom