• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What is that violet-white civ on the mini map down there?

In Thailand you have 1/1M chance to win the first prize so your argument is invalid, at least here. :D

Of course, smaller lotteries have better odds. But colloquially, "winning the lottery" generally means becoming a multimillionaire by winning something like Powerball (tonight's jackpot was a ridiculous $600M!).

EDIT: Anyway, even 1:1M is too much for this. There are surely fewer than 1M 24-bit light purple colors.

*Looks at comments and signature* Are you like Menzies second account? What's up with are your fan-boyish accolades for the man?

LMAO. You don't even want a Venetian civ?

I have to thanks Menzies for making the speculation less exciting in some occasion.

and Menzies isn't originally "Veneti-phile", He just found out some solid evidence about it's incursion and, after saw some comment that against it with little or no evidence...

I agree, at least he's more rational about the remaining civs and not clinging on to the ones he wanted.

How do we know exactly that Venice is gone as a city-state? Surely we haven't seen a list of all city states?

Edit: So I looked it up and it appears we are basing it off a a new CS having the same color scheme as Venice has. Personally I wonder if people are looking too much into this. The color change could have some other reason and it may just be some random thing because of the build of the game. Lastly, though unlikely, it may just be that CS can have duplicate colors. I suppose I just feel that Venice doesn't feel like the type of Civ they would add ( nor that we need, the region is already very represented). I definitely see now why people are thinking it though.

It's a damn site more complicated than just "the colours". Based off of all changes to city states over the production cycle of Civ V we know one thing for absolute sure:

In all cases where a city state has been given a known colour type combination, it has been a replacement

This has held for every single case. All the changes for city states are well documented and the following similar cases have never led to a city state appearing with a previous used colour-type combination:

1. A city state having it's type changed
2. A known city state being used as a replacement (like Lhasa for Vienna or Budapest for Edinburgh)

With these two being the most common "explanations" people offer. The only way that Venice has not been removed as a city state is if they did something completely out of the ordinary, and having already seen replacement city states for city states we know have been removed (Bratislava for Warsaw and Panama City for Rio de Janeiro), the same patterns are holding exactly as would be expected.

Basically, the chances that Venice has not been removed are very remote based on that alone, but then we have our second lovely bit of information with is the colours of the unknown Civilization. They are exactly (to within compression error) the ones off of the Flag of Venice from Wikipedia, suggesting that it was what they got the colours from. Even in the case that some program used one or both of those colours as generics, the odds of them happening to pick the exact pair of colours as on that Venetian Flag source is still very small.

It is worth noting that the colours on Wikipedia's flag are slightly different to what they should be:

As compared to what Wikipedia uses:

Notice how the symbols are more of a blue in the original, and more purple in the second image, the one that the colours exactly match. One thing worth noting is that the creator of the above flag's SVG on wikipedia specifically notes the colour Venetian Red (#C80815, or Venetian Red) being used on that version. As can be seen in the version that was linked as the source image, it is clearly darker and more worn, and it is entirely possible that he tried to figure out the correct colours for the flag by altering the image until the red matched Venetian red and then used the other colours as based on that. It would explain why he uses a lighter cream instead of Gold for the borders and that purple colour instead of Venetian Blue.

Long story short though, with these two alone we have two cases where it's extremely unlikely that either alone wouldn't mean Venice. It is unlikely that Venice hasn't been removed and replaced with Riga and it's unlikely that the colours used for the unknown civ didn't come from the Venetian Flag on Wikipedia. Even if you're clinging to the last hope that one or the other is wrong, when looking upon them both together Venice may as well be confirmed.

LMAO. You don't even want a Venetian civ?

Menzies has been vocal about his distaste for an Italy or Venice civ in the past. We can be very sure that when he very passionately and convincingly argues Venice's case there is no bias.

...right, Menzies?

Menzies has been vocal about his distaste for an Italy or Venice civ in the past. We can be very sure that when he very passionately and convincingly argues Venice's case there is no bias.

...right, Menzies?

Haha, passionate is an understatement. He posted an essay to a six sentence response. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Of course, smaller lotteries have better odds. But colloquially, "winning the lottery" generally means becoming a multimillionaire by winning something like Powerball (tonight's jackpot was a ridiculous $600M!).

EDIT: Anyway, even 1:1M is too much for this. There are surely fewer than 1M 24-bit light purple colors.

There are 16,581,375 colours in the normal RBG colour pallet, and even if only a 100th is considered purple (and it's more than that, but I can't be bothered calculating it properly) that is still 165,814 purples. Taking that down a notch again to deal (well, more than deal) with compression error gives about 16,581 purples to play with. Now do the same with creams, getting 16,581 creams, then we have a total of 274,929,561 different purple-cream combinations that are allowed. If you really want we can over deal with compression error and take it down by another factor of 10 for each of the colours and we're still in the range of 1 in 2,749,296 chance range for just picking them at random and having them match, and that's being really conservative on pretty much every area possible.

Lottery figures is accurate in this case.

...right, Menzies?

I would be absolutely elated to be wrong in this case, Venice is a terrible idea for a Civilization, even worse than Italy. I stand by everything that I have said on the topic in the past in this regard.

Venice seems to be the final European civ. I don't see enough substantial arguments for another one.

Wow. I'm impressed how far you guys are going with the comparison of purples to Venice's flag. I still don't see how Firaxis could've preferred a color found on an incorrect internet rendition, in a small forgettable generic round icon located on the least important part of the flag (aka not the lion), over something that's much more iconic, is unique and makes sense, like this:

A maritime civ that made most of its money through trade and patronizing the arts sounds a lot like: Netherlands, Morocco & Portugal. Indonesia too.

Did your Venice also mean the Christian civ which one plundered Constantinople while led by a blind old man , a civ where dominate Levant-Europe trade and dominate good amount of land that the Pope decided to dog-pile Venice with France, Austria and Spain.

I also think they're happen to represent (albeit eastward) Renaissance in Italy peninsular which either rarely or never represented in the game.

Did your Venice also mean the Christian civ which one plundered Constantinople while led by a blind old man , a civ where dominate Levant-Europe trade and dominate good amount of land that the Pope decided to dog-pile Venice with France, Austria and Spain.

I also think they're happen to represent (albeit eastward) Renaissance in Italy peninsular which either rarely or never represented in the game.

Or maybe the traders who brought to Europe all those new hot technologies from China. Or the home city of Marco Polo. Not to mention the architecture of the city itself. Venice is definitely cool and unique enough

Or maybe the traders who brought to Europe all those new hot technologies from China. Or the home city of Marco Polo. Not to mention the architecture of the city itself. Venice is definitely cool and unique enough

And Vivaldi. Venice could easily make use of an indiscriminate mix of Tourism, Trade, and Culture, unlike other most other civs, which are often associated with only one or one over the other.

Wow. I'm impressed how far you guys are going with the comparison of purples to Venice's flag. I still don't see how Firaxis could've preferred a color found on an incorrect internet rendition, in a small forgettable generic round icon located on the least important part of the flag (aka not the lion), over something that's much more iconic, is unique and makes sense, like this:

Well, they made China green and white. This by comparison isn't as bad if Venice is indeed purple.

I'm not against the inclusion of Venice, but why make the color similar to Rome? I question the aesthetic logic.

Top Bottom