What is that violet-white civ on the mini map down there?

To be fair, to keep up with this forum would be hard without it being in a stick thread at the top. We get through a lot very quickly at times. Showing up later today having not been here in a week would be terrifying with the amount found out today.

Come on! You know a dozen or so people who haven't been following the forums every day will pop in to ask that question without bothering to read any of the existing threads.
At least it isn't Facebook, the suggestions for the leaders there were ridiculous.

I wish they had picked a different colour, as now a geographical start will produce a similar look to Rome's combination. This also won't help to set straight the people who insist that Rome and Rep. of Venice are basically the same Civ at different times.

Guys there's something you should look at:

BAD NEWS however.
Just looked the image of the achievements. This is the symbol of Italy on the African scenario. . Roman symbol. It really takes a little of my faith that Firaxis will finally come to its senses and add Venice or Sicily as a Italian civ. I swear, if Civ 5 ends with italians being represent by Rome it is going to be disgusting, not even the fact that my homeland is finally represented into the game would cover that wound.

In the Scramble for Africa scenario the Italians will be represented by the Roman civ. I think this speaks against the inclusion of Venice. If Venice was truly among the nine civs then it would've made far more sense to have them be the stand in for Italy instead of Rome. I think calling Venice confirmed because of one colour is adequate.

While the Romans created the laurel symbol, pretty much everyone else after them used it too.

In the Scramble for Africa scenario the Italians will be represented by the Roman civ. I think this speaks against the inclusion of Venice. If Venice was truly among the nine civs then it would've made far more sense to have them be the stand in for Italy instead of Rome. I think calling Venice confirmed because of one colour is adequate.

I think Rome would better represent Italy than Venice. Venice was hardly on the Italian peninsula.

Having Rome represent Italy even though Venice is in wouldn't really be far-fetched in my opinion.

It was pretty obvious with the care they've taken in not revealing civs until they are ready that Italy never had a chance once it was part of an achievement description. Doesnt matter which civ they use as a stand in as it will be renamed anyway.

@KillerClowns, SammyKhalifa:

I don't think Firaxis means to trick anybody, and a majority of the things they reveal and release are very intentional. I'm sure they get quite a kick out of us trying to figure out their little clues. :)

Probably true. I just love the image of Firaxis employees staring at our forums in astounded bemusement.

...I wonder if they've got some kinda office betting pool going on about how few hints we can figure out a civ from.

Two colours and a replaced city state. Venice is in.

Also, Rome makes more sense to represent Italy anyhow. Half the issue that was debated about Italy was that it "was already represented by Rome". Venice is a whole other kettle of fish.

Seriously, why do you consider Venice confirmed? Only because auf two colours which form around 0,2% of the historical flag? It's more red/cream, isn't it? Or did I miss anything?

Seriously, why do you consider Venice confirmed? Only because auf two colours which form around 0,2% of the historical flag? It's more red/cream, isn't it? Or did I miss anything?

It's the exact same colours. As in, the precise hex code of those colours. The chances of that are incredibly small.

It's to do with the chances of those exact colour combinations also appearing in the Venetian flag. It seems the colour codes, which are quite specific, were directly copied from the flag on Wikipedia. The chances of them coincidentally using one colour that is exact, and another that is negligibly different (within the margin of error caused by compression) are very very low.

To seem less like a Wikipedia scouring lucky plebeian, here's something about the Venetian flag that I linked earlier. It's pretty tricky to find out what exactly those seals they used for the colours actually MEAN though; they stand for the sestieri (districts) of Venice, but why that icon and colour? No idea.

It's interesting that the colours for Venice will be quite close to the colours of Rome (well, both are purple with different colour cities, anyway).

To seem less like a Wikipedia scouring lucky plebeian, here's something about the Venetian flag that I linked earlier. It's pretty tricky to find out what exactly those seals they used for the colours actually MEAN though; they stand for the sestieri (districts) of Venice, but why that icon and colour? No idea.

Thing is, the globes in that flag are not purple and white, but gold and blue. The same color combination is found here: http://www.vexilla-mundi.com/italy_history_2.html. It'd appear purple is not the most appropriate color for Venice.

Top Bottom