1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the US up to with regard to Iran?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AmazonQueen, May 16, 2019.

1. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

A point I would make is that most of these supposedly British ships are:

(a) not built in Britain

(b) owned ultimately by foreigners

(c) captained by foreigners

(d) crewed by foreigners

(e) shipping foreign goods (oil)

(f) from foreign ports

(g) to foreign ports.

Not complaining about foreigners, my point being that these ships are not very British at all.

But one of the companies in a complicated chain is nominally British, the ship is listed
    on a UK register, and a British flag is flown; and UK statisticians can pretend that such
    shipping is part of the UK's GNP hence claiming fifth position in the GNP boasting stakes.

We the (UK) would be better off out of this game.

Let their owners register them with Panama and see if Panama will declare war on Iran.

Some owners are re-registering with France, who have a navy and lack a quarrel with Iran.

2. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Just a reminder to everyone: before the US mandated appointment of Yukiya Amano to chair the IAEA in 2009, there were no sanctions because the IAEA never had any credible evidence that Iran had a nuclear weapons programme.

The last 8 years of negotiations and sanctions have simply been an aggressive and unnecessary expression of US foreign policy, and now under Trump we might be headed for armed confrontation.

3. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Warlord

I agree with this, but it doesn't change the appearance of an awfully successful instigation campaign by certain interests. . . I mean we are teetering on warfare at this point

4. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

The supertanker was invent by the Japanese, they had to make multiple advances from welding, engineering and ship construction
    I believe some 90%+ of all supertankers were/are built in Japan

Welcome to the world of international shipping, low wages, spartan conditions, isolation and long hours. Iam sure tons of British people are eager to be tanker crews.

........ If the UK dosnt want to transport over "profitable" trade routes just because they are not landing goods onto the UK. Iam sure that other countries would be willing to take over that route for you.

........ Well at least you didnt bash the EU this time.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Capturing that "British" oiltanker was the Iranian "tit" to the UK for the UKian "tat".
    UK special forces did capture that Iranian oil tanker Grace in Gibraltar sea water two weeks earlier.
    To justify that, the UK newsmedia do refer to EU sanctions on Syria.

But
    AFAIK those written out EU sanctions only apply for EU countries trading with Syria.
    NOT for other countries trading with Syria.

As usual the UK is using the EU for its own agenda.

6. FriendlyFire

UK is carrying out Trumps unilateral Iran sanctions enforcement and everyone know it
    I bet the UK is also up for another Middle Eastern adventure with there US pals again.

7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

After Iraq support for Middle-Eastern or North African adventures has been low, even Boris probably realises getting involved in a war with Iran would be electoral suicide

8. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

No, UK ministers have been manipulated by US war hawks such as John Bolton.

None of them are very bright.

Quite so.

And it is all rather stupid, Donald Trump may not be around in 18 months time and is unlikely to
    be able to get a trade deal through Congress. Something in the bible about not trusting princes.

Not at all.

I suspect that Boris Johnson does indeed realise that.

Although I doubt that Jeremy Hunt does. I suspect that he has not woken up to
    the fact that the Iranians are a bit less passive than doctors and nurses.

As for Penelope Mary Mordaunt, she is a naval reservist, and should know better.

Just added: Link to GPS spoofing

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...ish-ship-is-seized/ar-AAECr1h?ocid=spartanntp

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  9. Samson

Samson Warlord

I hope you are right, but I would not put it past him to sacrifice british soldiers lives (as well as middle east stability, UK international standing, Iranian lives, etc.) for the sake of a trade deal to make it look like he is "winning" brexit.

Lexicus likes this.
  10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

This is the standard and has to do with paying less taxes. Eg something like half (?) of greek ocean-going merchant ships fly a different flag (mostly of central american tax havens, but a considerable number fly the british flag too afaik).

11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Found it, yet more arrogant nonsense.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-pledges-to-double-uk-fleet-flying-under-the-red-duster

Published 11 September 2017

I really cannot see the point, or how it benefits the 60 million Brits.

Kyriakos likes this.
  12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Indeed. There is no higher standard to flying the british flag. It is all about tax breaks for major ship-owners. Afaik a few of the greek ones even have their HQ in London.
    It would be interesting to know how many of the ships flying the british flag are actually british-owned.

13. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

14. FriendlyFire

Is this not the Brexit that you voted for ?
    What exactly did you envision would happen ?

15. r16

r16 not deity

when evil U-boots show up and start sinking ships it will help them Brits survive until America introduces Liberty II Ship and launches 30 million tons of them .

16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

17. r16

r16 not deity

how very wrong of you to say that . America is still a British "colony" when it comes to this long term strategies stuff .

18. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

19. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Yes, methinks.

If the tanker wasn't going to Syria, then where was it going? The failure to provide an alternative destination makes me think that it was going to Syria.
    Now oil tankers are not like submarines, they can not be easily hidden. One might assume that the captain has worked out, or someone has kindly told him;
    that the USA will track him, and that if he goes too near Syria, he might collide with one of the Donald's bombs, missiles or torpedo, then being difficult to Duck..

20. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

What I see is a court nullifying the Gibraltar action, the UK SAS action, and the political desires of some US hawks.
    Rule of Law vs politics abuse.

AmazonQueen likes this.