1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the US up to with regard to Iran?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AmazonQueen, May 16, 2019.

1. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

If Iran and the other countries involved only realized all they need to get Trump back into the deal is to rename it the "Trump Peace Accords" or something along that line.

Essentially that's what was done with NAFTA. Made a few small changes and tagged it with a new brand.

It's embarrassing to have such a ridiculously vapid leader.

Berzerker and brennan like this.
  2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

If the Iran nuclear deal was such a good thing why didn't the US senate ratify it when Obama was POTUS?

I am not sure Trump can be blamed for that.

3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

You might have missed it but the US Senate was record breaking in its obstruction of Obama. Whether something was good or not had almost zero impact on what the Senate was doing at the time.

brennan and hobbsyoyo like this.
  4. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Thank you for so eloquently confirming that it is the US senate's fault,
    and therefore nothng to do with the Donald despite what he may claim.

5. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I'm not sure Trump has much to do with anything. It's likely he doesn't even know what was in the deal let alone able to qualify what was good or bad about it.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

He very much has everything to do with the deal collapsing.

Socrates99 and Lexicus like this.
  7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

We have to remember he is the Fox News president. Whatever Fox News says is generally his gospel. Their rhetoric under Obama was negative no matter what Obama did. Under Trump they defend the indefensible.

Their hackiness has been under fire, even from other MSM outlets, because of the completely different stances they took on negotiations with North Korea during the Obama and Trump admins. Jesse Waters and Greg Gutfeld had a segment on the Trump/Kim summit where they essentially just admit that if Trump were replaced with a Democrat they'd be critical.

The depth at which Trump understands the Iran deal is essentially "some pundits on Fox didn't like it therefore I don't like it."

8. r16

r16 not deity

let me express my gratitude to both sides for their following of the rhythm of the Thursday War . Say , Iranians capturing that tanker on Saturday and waiting and Americans for "possibly" making up shooting of a drone . Because of possible competition and what not , you know New Turkey is the biggest defence company these days , they also claimed the drone was within 100 metres even , while Trump says under 1000 yards . And no footage yet , despite it being the start of the Trump campaign and he is "weak" for not attacking the 4 Congresswomen . Come on , it has to be a good sight , even as a pizza drone !

9. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

The UK did just seize an Iranian tanker ????
    How can you not make sense of this ? It is a tit for tat retaliation of course.

The WP has reported that the British tanker was forced off course by several smaller boats and a helicopter from its designated lane into Iran.

EDIT: I thought the EU was dragging its heels over Iran sanctions and that the US had threatened to cut off intel sharing and ramp up the trade war to get Germany onboard. Its pretty brazen by Iran given that the US came close to launching a major air strike but it must be feeling the pressure by these sanctions.

11. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Warlord

Two questions on this front. At what point does the UK respond violently? At what point does the US back its ally violently? I mean this whole situation is rapidly spiraling in to truly dangerous territory. When was the last time nations were seizing tankers? I heard of us doing this to NK, but NK is even more of a rogue state than Iran.

12. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

When that ally asks us to. That's how alliances are supposed to work. If the UK goes to war and asks for our help, then we help with no questions asked.

13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Warlord

Yea I mean that is how they are supposed to work obviously. . . b u t. . .

14. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Don't let the political rhetoric over the past few years fool you. The US is still just as committed to its allies as ever and if our allies call, we will answer.

Plus it's not our alliance with the UK that has been strained recently. It's more France and Germany that we aren't getting along with as well as we used to.

15. boogaboo

boogaboo Josef Popper 4ever

Jumped over to see what are the reactions to the British Oil tanker being taken..

and Canada and Australia and Mexico.. unlike the warm relations with Kim and Put-in-jail ;)
    Also, "We aren't" should be changed to "Our president isn't".

It is interesting to see :
    1. what the UK will actually do (besides further supporting Saudi-Arabia at Yemen)
    2. what Iran is after in this situation. Just to tense things up for cards at the negotiating table? I tend to believe they plan on.. well, empire. Assimilating south Iraq seems to be the next logical move, as they are Shia and have water resources Iran desperately need.

16. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

those actions to that British Oil tanker were a dosed tit for tat... not a TIT for tat.
    not really an escalation

Iran in internal conflict between the moderate Rohani government and the hawky religious Khamenei & Revolutionary guard.
    The US having the Bolton hawk and a POTUS thinking about the 2020 elections
    And the UK ?.... a bag of riddles at the moment

17. Samson

Samson Warlord

Does anyone know how he law is supposed to work in these cases? Is there a defined body of law that either the Iranian or British tankers are supposed to have broken, and is there a defined due process that the Gibraltan / British or Iranian authorities are supposed to follow for holding tankers that are suspected of breaking it, or for that matter the US or Iranian military are supposed to follow when shooting down drones?

18. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

For international waters/airspace there are a number of agreements between countries that can be called a body of law, most prominent one being the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. There is also customs universally accepted that can be considered some sort of law by the International Court of Justice, but in practice it is the law of the stronger.

Samson likes this.
  19. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Yes, I know; but I still think that there may be another hidden player looking for an advantage from a UK-IRAN spat.

Oh, Yes; the Jeremy Palmerston Hunt public performance act. I have the feeling he is being skillfully played.

But I am not sure I want to discuss that in this thread.

20. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

They'd like the completely unreasonable sanctions lifted and for the countries that deal with them to not change their minds and cease issuing threats at the drop of a new president.

I'm embarrassed by the UK involvement in this farce.