What music are you listening to? #ξβ: Music is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was more hip hop/rap like that instead of the usual "I'm a tough guy and look at my ill-gotten gains" stuff I'd listen to more rap/hip hop.

Like what now?

Like lefty stuff.
Very lefty.
The "special guest" (the old blond dude with the spiky hair) is a Deutschpunk icon whose band had to deal with censorship in the eighties.
(Deutschpunk: literally "German Punk", a specific, very unsubtle, very political subgenre of punk that sprung up in the late 70s/early 80s, inspired by bands like Dead Kennedys or Black Flag.)
To be fair, one of the censored songs equated the German police in general with the SA and SS, and another song had the line:
"Bomben bauen, Waffen klauen, den Bullen auf die Fresse hauen"
Translation: "Building bombs, stealing weapons, punching the cops in the face".

I'm too lazy to translate it all now, but the title is Us vs Them.
The song in general laments "the system" and the state's focus on/censorship of the "Far Left" while it's turning a blind eye to right wing extremism.

Rough chorus translation:

This is music against everything and not for the masses
The radio plays feces that I hate all day
We follow no leader (Führer), salute no flag
We're rioting for love, not for the white race

Like lefty stuff.
Very lefty.
The "special guest" (the old blond dude with the spiky hair) is a Deutschpunk icon whose band had to deal with censorship in the eighties.
(Deutschpunk: literally "German Punk", a specific, very unsubtle, very political subgenre of punk that sprung up in the late 70s/early 80s, inspired by bands like Dead Kennedys or Black Flag.)
To be fair, one of the censored songs equated the German police in general with the SA and SS, and another song had the line:
"Bomben bauen, Waffen klauen, den Bullen auf die Fresse hauen"
Translation: "Building bombs, stealing weapons, punching the cops in the face".

I'm too lazy to translate it all now, but the title is Us vs Them.
The song in general laments "the system" and the state's focus on/censorship of the "Far Left" while it's turning a blind eye to right wing extremism.

Rough chorus translation:

This is music against everything and not for the masses
The radio plays feces that I hate all day
We follow no leader (Führer), salute no flag
We're rioting for love, not for the white race

Well, there is plenty of rap like this, it doesn't get any radio time for obvious reasons.

Alternative hip-hop is definitely a thing.

As with so many genres, the stuff that gets frequent airplay is a thin slice, and not necessarily a good one (you might think the stuff that gets wall-to-wall coverage in the media is the cream of the crop, but the truth is that it almost never is). I haven't bothered listening to commercial radio in 30 years. I enjoyed a tidal wave of college radio stations around me - my cousin who lived ~60 miles outside the city never heard Public Enemy or Jane's Addiction when we were in high school - but now that everything's on the web... I mean, sheesh, you can listen to anything.

Well, there is plenty of rap like this, it doesn't get any radio time for obvious reasons.

Alternative hip-hop is definitely a thing.

Yeah, but it's still a novelty for people from my generation who were born too late for relevant hip hop and too early to get hooked on hip hop that is relevant again.
Maybe it's a geographical thing. German rap was funny stuff or irrelevant mass-market party stuff (not mutually exclusive), and then it became stupid pseudo-gangster stuff (also not mutually exclusive).

I always knew that good hip hop existed, but if it's not on the radio I won't hear about it unless I seek it out.
And I won't seek it out because it's not my preferred genre.

Btw, can anybody here recommend a good EDM (or somesuch) band/group/collective that would appeal to me ?

Btw, can anybody here recommend a good EDM (or somesuch) band/group/collective that would appeal to me ?
Dance music is a genre I only dabble in, but this song always makes me grin like a dope.

There are differences of opinion about who or what "chocolate" is (drugs; a woman or man). I actually find the song is more fun if I think he's talking about literal chocolate, though. :lol:

Thievery Corporation
I never thought of them as EDM, but great band. I'd say The Mirror Conspiracy and "Lebanese Blonde" are the points of entry.

Is there an important distinction between "house" and "EDM"? It's kind of an era/age thing, I think, 1990s-2000s vs today. But if you are looking for older stuff...

Phenomenally underappreciated band, even among alternative-music nerds. One part grunge, one part punk, add a dash of industrial, and a pinch of psychedelia, shake well.

One of the angriest albums of all time. Should come with a helmet.

Maybe it's a geographical thing. German rap was funny stuff or irrelevant mass-market party stuff (not mutually exclusive), and then it became stupid pseudo-gangster stuff (also not mutually exclusive).
My friend group in high school ironically liked ten-year-old Fanta 4 songs. High schoolers like dumb things.

If there was more hip hop/rap like that instead of the usual "I'm a tough guy and look at my ill-gotten gains" stuff I'd listen to more rap/hip hop.

there's a lot of music like that out there. it's spawned its own microgenre called Zeckenrap. Just google it. There's also lots of leftist rap (in German) with political themes instead of braggadocio.

Thinking about Metallica's single, most iconic song. Their "signature song", so to speak, the song I would play for the extraterrestrial who'd never heard the band before. While giving "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Enter Sandman" a lot of consideration, I can't escape the gravitational pull of "Master of Puppets."

Thinking about Metallica's single, most iconic song. Their "signature song", so to speak, the song I would play for the extraterrestrial who'd never heard the band before. While giving "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Enter Sandman" a lot of consideration, I can't escape the gravitational pull of "Master of Puppets."
interesting opinion with a great deal of validity with which I still cordially disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom