What music are you listening to? #66 No need for a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oldies but goodies :old:

Depeche Mode doing the legendary U2 piece So Cruel:

That's like one treat short of a Kinderegg.

I've heard so much good music since I last posted, I don't even know where to begin. So, in no particular order...

If you're looking for some classic rock that isn't the usual, "Angry Eyes" (1972) by Loggins & Messina is really good. Who knew? :shifty: Okay, lots of people knew. The album Loggins & Messina (1972) reached #16 on Billboard's Top 100. I'm only 50 years late. :lol: I never really paid Kenny Loggins much attention until recently. Back in the day, he was doing pop-rock stuff that I wasn't really into, songs for movie soundtracks, like "Footloose" and "Danger Zone" for Top Gun. I didn't bother to go back and investigate his earlier stuff until basically the last couple of years. Some of you might remember "You're Momma Don't Dance" from this album, which got a lot of airplay, but I like this song better. It has an outstanding bass line (...which I can't really hear on my crappy little PC speakers, but on my headphones it's pretty hot). Larry Sims, who passed away in 2014, was the band's bass player.

---

"Know How" by Young MC was featured in the closing credits of Whip It (2009). I don't think I'd heard it in years. Like "Angry Eyes", this one was overshadowed by the radio single "Bust a Move", which I never really cared for, on the album Stone Cold Rhymin' (1989).

---

"Brand New Funk" by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince is another hip-hop classic, and another song submerged by a mega-successful radio hit on the same album, "Parents Just Don't Understand" from He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper (1988). "Parents[...]" also had a video that got played a ton on MTV, back when MTV played music videos.

---

p.s. Funny coincidence. Literally a few minutes after I posted this, Will Smith is being interview on an NPR radio show I'm listening to.

Last edited:
If you're watching Hawkeye on Disney+, you might remember the scene that introduces Echo at the end of episode 2, with the sinister music she's 'listening to' on the big speakers. I thought for sure it was a Trent Reznor song. It was "Christmas Island" by Depeche Mode. It's not even on an album, I don't think, it's the B-side of the single "A Question of Lust" (1986). Makes me wonder if Trent Reznor might have been listening to some Depeche Mode when he was a lad.

---

"The Order of Death" by Public Image Ltd. is a good song. I hadn't heard it in years. Spookier than I remembered. I never really got into PiL back in the day, for some reason. I think I even have one of their records, but maybe not this one, This is What You Want... This is What You Get (1984). I think the one I have is Happy? (1987). Anyway, I may have to reassess.

---

I was listening to an algorithmically-generated playlist that featured bands like Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, etc, etc, you get the idea. Abruptly, it gave me "In a Big Country" by Big Country. Hunh? Was it just checking to see if I was still paying attention? I'm imagining Big Country walking into a goth club with their instruments like the scene in The Blues Brothers at the country bar. "Excuse me, miss, what kind of music do you play here?" "Oh, we play both kinds, punk and industrial." :lol:

Then I momentarily confused Big Country with Men at Work, which still seems more reasonable to me than putting Big Country on a playlist with Christian Death and Clan of Xymox.

Last edited:
According to Spotify's end-of-the-year "Wrapped"...
  • I listened to 37,310 minutes of music. At first, this seemed like a lot, but it's a couple hours per day, on average, so that's not crazy.
  • I listened to 945 different artists. I am surprised this was so high. I suppose most of those were probably one-and-done.
  • I listened to 78 different genres. That sounds really excessive. Not that I listened to so much music, but I don't think we need to classify music into that many genres. I wonder if "genre" includes the styles and moods they use to categorize songs. For instance, on my Liked Songs playlist, I can sort them for "New Wave", "Soul", or "Post-Punk" - but I can also sort them for "Dark" or "Mellow."
My Top 10 Most-Played Songs of 2021:
1. "One Thing Leads to Another" by The Fixx, from Reach the Beach (1983). It says I listened to this song 33 times.

2. "Pray" by Mothermary, released as a single 2021. Probably be on an album next year, I'd wager.

3. "Crimson Lover" by Ramxes, from Deep Crimson (2021), which I think is probably my favorite new album of this year.

4. "I'll Be Waiting" by Jorja Chalmers
5. "Jungle" by Ramxes
6. "Only the Lonely" by The Motels
7. "Baker Street" by Jerry Rafferty
8. "To Live and Die in L.A." by Wang Chung
9. "Destination Unknown" by Missing Persons
10. "It's My Life" by Talk Talk

My Top 5 artists:
The Fixx
Sylvan Esso
Jorja Chalmers
Phantogram
Phillip Glass

My Top 5 Genres:
New Wave
Dreampop
Downtempo
Classic Rock
Dark Ambient

Speaking of Ramxes, he did a great remix of "The Shining" in October. A little late for Halloween music recommendations, but oh well. If you give this a listen, let it simmer for a minute. It starts off at a saunter before taking off.

---

If you like sludgy, doomy, goth-metal, I only recently caught up with Emma Ruth Rundle's collaboration with Thou from last year, May Our Chambers Be Full (2020).

---

And if you're into classic rock, Americana, or blues-rock, I heartily recommend Link Wray's "Fire and Brimstone", from Link Wray (1971). Could be called bluegrass or bluegrass-adjacent too, I think, if that's your jam.

The Neville Brothers did a groovin' soul cover in '89 that's kind of fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom