What Music are You Listening To? - 67, the Summer of Love

I was browsing some new playlists on Spotify. One of them is called "Laurel Canyon Legends", featuring the mellower end of early-70s radio rock. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; Fleetwood Mac; Buffalo Springfield; Daisy Jones & The Six; Carole King.

Wait, what? Hold up a second. :lol:

I have no idea how these Spotify playlists are assembled. I'm assuming there's some kind of algorithm. Somehow Daisy Jones & The Six has been tagged as "70s music."

This playlist chose "Regret Me", but I don't care for that one so much. I'll post "Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)" instead. That was their big hit back in the '70s, wasn't it? :mischief:

For anyone who doesn't know wtf I'm talking about, Daisy Jones & The Six is a 2019 novel about a fictional 1970s American rock band, like Stillwater in Almost Famous. The novel was adapted as a tv series for Amazon last year. It's not bad. The book and the series. And they really did record an album's worth of songs to include in the show, of which this is one. I believe that's really series star Riley Keough singing. Including them in a playlist of real 1970s artists is very funny. If it was a joke.

And if you haven't heard of Laurel Canyon, it's a neighborhood of Los Angeles that was famously home to many a legend of 60s & 70s American rock & folk. Jim Morrison, Cass Elliott, Joni Mitchell, Frank Zappa, Carole King, Gram Parsons, Neil Young, Brian Wilson, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, and more lived there, more or less at the same time.

And if you haven't heard of Laurel Canyon, it's a neighborhood of Los Angeles that was famously home to many a legend of 60s & 70s American rock & folk. Jim Morrison, Cass Elliott, Joni Mitchell, Frank Zappa, Carole King, Gram Parsons, Neil Young, Brian Wilson, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, and more lived there, more or less at the same time.
You left out John Mayall who mentored many of them :)

Heard this song on the radio yesterday, so of course I've had it on repeat. Would love to know the speculations on why the German version was a chart-topped in the U.S. while the English version didn't make an impact, and it was the exact opposite in the UK. What makes this song one of the very few German-language songs to chart the tops in the U.S., and yet not popular in the British isles? :dunno:

This playlist chose "Regret Me", but I don't care for that one so much. I'll post "Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)" instead. That was their big hit back in the '70s, wasn't it? :mischief:
I'm too young to remember when that song was new... or at least that's what Spotify would think.

But seriously, if a new band (even a semi-fictional new band) is close enough in style to a style of music that was popular in the past, I'd consider that a bonus. My musical tastes tend towards '80s rock, into hard rock and metal, with some punk rock, and none of those genres is really dominating the mainstream these days. I've found a few blogs that focus on those genres, and there is still new music, often with more regional audiences, but I would have no complaints if Pandora or Spotify put a modern band with a similar sound in an '80s rock playlist.

One of the best things about being old is sometimes finding things new that have been found 500 million times before.

Last edited:
Not by a country mile. No sir. The mundane sings.

Good song.

But it's more just that one vibe.

It's hard to hear it anymore

Good song.

But it's more just that one vibe.

It's hard to hear it anymore
Fair comment.
It's more about the lyrics and stories for me. I hated poems we studied at school, but IMO there are some brilliant American lyricists - my son pushed some of them into his classes when teachers asked for comparisons and contrasts. :)

Top Bottom