What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

So I get the troops on my border message from the AI, I agree to pull back and I pull my units back behind my city. And a few turns later they surprise war me with enough units to take the city. I admit I reloaded this game. I hate doing something so cheesy, by I felt what the AI did was cheesy. So I reloaded and took professional army and upgraded my archers to crosswbowman and was able to successfully defend the city this time. I was so mad at the game for this, and was in a crappy mood the rest of the afternoon. I had all those units around the city for a reason, for defense. And soon as I pull them back because the AI demands me, to they attack.

So I get the troops on my border message from the AI, I agree to pull back and I pull my units back behind my city. And a few turns later they surprise war me with enough units to take the city. I admit I reloaded this game. I hate doing something so cheesy, by I felt what the AI did was cheesy. So I reloaded and took professional army and upgraded my archers to crosswbowman and was able to successfully defend the city this time. I was so mad at the game for this, and was in a crappy mood the rest of the afternoon. I had all those units around the city for a reason, for defense. And soon as I pull them back because the AI demands me, to they attack.

Are you sure you were playing civ 6? Single player? Because that does not sound like civ 6 AI... not at all.

I don't know if you intended to make that sound as awesome as you just did. Fallen Enchantress is one of fairly few civ-likes which is not from the Civilization franchise which I have been able to get into. I quite dislike the visuals, but mechanically, I think it's a gem.

I agree about FE, but its magicians should not have a place in a civ game...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about FE, but its magicians should not have a place in a civ game...

For starters, an AI Apostle or Inquisitor is likely to lightning bolt them out of existence as soon as you build one …

EDIT: Unless a Warrior Monk Army gets them first ...

For starters, an AI Apostle or Inquisitor is likely to lightning bolt them out of existence as soon as you build one …

EDIT: Unless a Warrior Monk Army gets them first ...

Sarcasm, I assume? (Better to ask before answering...)

So I get the troops on my border message from the AI, I agree to pull back and I pull my units back behind my city. And a few turns later they surprise war me with enough units to take the city

Seriously? That would be the most clever thing I've ever seen the AI do if it happened in one of my games. I would be strangely happy about it.

Since I've currently done a bunch of restarts...

Map generation is still out of whack I think, even with the improvements they did in some patch. Now, I could agree with have an "unpredictable" element to set in the options when creating a map but it'd be nice to have some sort of balanced option where the game spread out the civs fairly evenly. It *can* make for fun games but to me I wish there was some way to prevent civs spawning in tight clumps, while some other civ manage to get a whole continent all by themselves. It's not particularly fun at higher difficulties (where civs get more settlers at the start) to just get boxed in right away, with even less possibility to expand since the Loyalty system (which I love btw) was introduced. And it's not necessarily fun either if you play as Gengis for example and you get a whole empty continent with noone to run over.

Also, certain options are just incredibly unbalanced in the game, the Pantheon choices for example coming to mind.

Easily the production costs. It’s actually pretty nice at the start of the game, maybe until the mid-classical era. After that though, it starts scaling in such a way that the game simply stops being fun. There’s so much stuff you have to built without a way to feasibly get the production needed to compete. Once you get to the industrial era it’s almost unbearable.

Easily the production costs. It’s actually pretty nice at the start of the game, maybe until the mid-classical era. After that though, it starts scaling in such a way that the game simply stops being fun. There’s so much stuff you have to built without a way to feasibly get the production needed to compete. Once you get to the industrial era it’s almost unbearable.

Kind of the opposite of the way you expect things to feel, where the industrial revolution would be expected to feel like suddenly you can produce a whole lot of stuff easily that previously was hard. It's a play balance thing, I think, to avoid big jumps up in capacity in favour of slow improvements where your infrastructure never grows faster than the cost of new "stuff". But it does rob the game of a sense of achievement of actually growing your industrial might.

The only thing about your comment I'd disagree with is the "so much stuff you have to build" part. There's precious little you actually have to build in the mid- to late-game, if you're only concerned about winning, that is. It's a weirdly balanced game that way, with a lot stuff to spend hammers on that aren't worth the cost of producing them, and the few things you do need can be bought with gold/faith. But maybe that's an accurate reflection of the true worth of the junk we pump out of factories in real life? :mischief:

The OP hit my pet peeve right on the money. But I also dislike how difficult it is to see your Apostles on the map when the map colors change because a religion unit has been activated. It’s like they become ghosts!

The OP hit my pet peeve right on the money. But I also dislike how difficult it is to see your Apostles on the map when the map colors change because a religion unit has been activated. It’s like they become ghosts!
Of course they're filled with the Holy Ghost; that's how they smite the infidels and heretics with lightning. :p

I dont have R&F, so for base Civ 6

The way the auto unit selection at the begging of your turn bounces around is so so aggravating. It's like the camera will pan to one unit then decide, nahhh feck it, u should actually be controlling this unit instead. Then zoom off to wherever that unit is on the map.

Massive emphasis on early military rushing for multiple win conditions, feel it should be the hallmark of dom victories and no others.

A lot of the religious abilities are worthless for any victory condition, same with policies. Has anyone used public transport ever?

Very slow endgame with a lot of useless info like having to select future civics/techs, no production Q's, QoL stuff like that.

Better information on screen, is the encampment surrounded? Do I have the Spear of Fionn?

Right clicking on the notifications at the right hand side of the screen to remove them. Only to miss by a couple of pixels and give your currently selected builder the order to move out into the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
I dont have R&F, so for base Civ 6

The way the auto unit selection at the begging of your turn bounces around is so so aggravating. It's like the camera will pan to one unit then decide, nahhh feck it, u should actually be controlling this unit instead. Then zoom off to wherever that unit is on the map.

I think that's what I kicked the thread off with: the way you just manage to click on a unit and it changes its mind!

I think that's what I kicked the thread off with: the way you just manage to click on a unit and it changes its mind!

Yeah, yet you've already chosen to move the unit; so when you let go of the click it sends some random builder or something out to BFE somewhere.

Yeah, yet you've already chosen to move the unit; so when you let go of the click it sends some random builder or something out to BFE somewhere.

And don't forget how you decide to skip a unit for now, and end up in an constant "ok, are you ready to move it now?" loop after each other unit you move...

Got a new one for me. Since it's only happened once in recent memory I can't say it annoys me most, but it sure did yesterday.

Alliance ran out, I have units in my ally's territory. They complain and ask me to withdraw my troops. Answering yes seemed the nicest, only after clicking it did I realize no way will my troops get through their territory and to the city-state emergency in time. And even though I renewed my alliance, I still got the penalty message for not removing my troops on the border (I was actually inside his territory). Sigh. I did get the city state emergency, even though I faced more opposition than I was anticipating and lost one infantry.

I really feel like alliances should be auto-renewing unless one of the parties specifically opts out.

I agree here. The religion system, with it's hard cap of religions that will, and can, EVER be founded in a whole game, and their generic labels, and the lack of realistic (or real attempt thereof) religious evolution and progress (like meaningful schisms and heresies, as well as ecumenicalism, syncretism, and the formation of wonky cults, and rulers getting behind some of these originally fringe ideas and backing them, or making their own changes to mold custom "state religions" that serve their needs better than the original doctrines) are absent in any meaningful or usable sense. In short, it's a lame, phoned-in, barebones, low-budget, unsatisfying religion mechanic.

I really feel like alliances should be auto-renewing unless one of the parties specifically opts out.
I understand why they're not: perhaps you'd like to change what kind of alliance you have. Better solution: Renegotiate Alliance Type after X turns.

I agree here. The religion system, with it's hard cap of religions that will, and can, EVER be founded in a whole game, and their generic labels, and the lack of realistic (or real attempt thereof) religious evolution and progress (like meaningful schisms and heresies, as well as ecumenicalism, syncretism, and the formation of wonky cults, and rulers getting behind some of these originally fringe ideas and backing them, or making their own changes to mold custom "state religions" that serve their needs better than the original doctrines) are absent in any meaningful or usable sense. In short, it's a lame, phoned-in, barebones, low-budget, unsatisfying religion mechanic.
Yes, as I mentioned before, it doesn't feel like it was designed by someone who has religious beliefs themselves or who has a good understanding of the ecclesiastical or theological history of any major religion.

Top Bottom