1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing? Eight times I've died...

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Birdjaguar, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miaasma

miaasma Prince

since the day it came out lol

well, on and off

like i'll stop for a while and then feel the urge to come back and do another playthrough, it's that kind of game for me

i'm so incorrigible though because every time i do this i tell myself "i'll do things differently this time!" only to do things almost the exact same way

2. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Sound like me and Fallout 3:mischief:

miaasma likes this.
  3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Fortnite is pretty good!

Training in CK2 is coming along nicely, I understand it pretty well now.

I will not touch Stellaris so long as a proven liar that I actively disrespect (having himself shown active disrespect for multiple members of the community in addition to lying and issuing a ban over pointing out a logical inconsistency) is on its team.

I've been meaning to try out Slay the Spire.

4. miaasma

miaasma Prince

it's me and pretty much every rpg

"i won't play a pure mage in skyrim this time!" - me, lying to myself

Lexicus likes this.
  5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Literally me and any strategy game or RPG

miaasma likes this.
  6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Civ 3 Complete on sale at Steam for $4.99. That is the game that brought me here in 2001.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

The Battle for Wesnoth 1.14 is officially up on Steam.
    Join for free, play for free, mod it for free.

I get it from the wesnoth.org repository directly, but that's just me. :)

8. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Seems like the game is releasing 20 years too late to be current.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Nah, it's the newest release. And it's definitely worth playing.

And definitely modernised.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

DRM free on GoG, regular price $5.99. I think I paid two or three bucks when it was on sale just so I could ignore my disk copy...which also brought me here.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I play Door Kickers right now. If you have considered playing SWAT or Rainbow Six series but you were afraid of its lengthiness and micromanagment, this is the perfect alternative. Missions are usually very quick, from 20 seconds to 2 minutes. When you fail, not a big deal, just restart without loading and make a small change in your plan. Door kickers is the one of games which are easy to learn but hard to master. There is no frustration just pure enjoyment and feeling "just one more try" with every your mistake. It is one of the indie games which perfectly knows what they want to do and are perfect in it. The replayability is also great, random number and location of enemies makes every scenario different.

Just do not expect a story. There are campaigns but it is a simple logical sequence of missions, nothing more.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  12. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

I would like to recommend a little game called: Hero of the kingdom. 1 and 2 is out for 14 bucks on Steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/259550/Hero_of_the_Kingdom/

It's a point and click game made by 2 brothers in Slovenia I think, so the English grammar is worse than mine :)

I played game one and finished in 7 hrs, it was a blast, so fun and if your read between the lines of the story, you get it. Next day I played game 2 in about 9 hrs, same setup, just a little bit trickier to get coins, until you find the eureka moment. I played 1 and 2 again and still loved it.

Then I played the demo of game 3 for 2 days, and they have made immense changes that makes the game even better. 3 will come out later this year and I can't wait!

Some things are really, I mean REALLY hard to see, so if your vision of sight is below par, it might not be for you.

Except the difficulty to finish all achievements, this game is one of the golden finds I have grabbed lately.

13. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

And also thanks for this thread, this is something I really needed, running out of fun games to play.

My reactions are so bad nowadays, so many great games are not for me. It would be a waste of time and money, just trying it. I am still pretty good at some shooters and first-person view games, but put me in a game with 3rd person view, you would see an idiot running around in circles trying to find that vital key, lol.

I even tried King's Quest and A bard's tale, but I so suck at moving my char in the right position, so I rage-quit. I have shaky fingers, so I can't play those games until I understand how they work in a fluid way.

I have all of Monkey Island, but still shaky fingers make me take endless time just to do something. I wish I could find a great game where I only have to play with my mouse and a few keys.

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

I've finished two games of the initial Frostpunk scenario, once with Faith and once with Order, at the default difficulty setting. In both games, there was a little bit of a lull in the 3rd quarter, but the ending of both games was a nail-biter. In the first game, I turned away most of the refugees and my Hope had dropped to zero but I was given 2 days to turn things around. I actually couldn't do anything but wait, but no need to let the citizens know that.

In the second game, I took in everybody who showed up at my door, then I ran out of coal and food and my people were dropping like flies from hypothermia, starvation and disease. There was a cave-in in the mines, and I sent 50 people to their deaths in a vain effort to shore it up. At the end I had ~450 survivors and over 150 in the cemetery.

Spoiler :
    I had assumed that Faith would bolster Hope while risking Discontent, while Order would suppress Discontent at the expense of Hope. However, two games being a small sample size, I didn't really feel like the two Books of Laws were functionally very different. I'd like to see future DLC differentiate the two Books more.

I did like that many of the options under Adaptation are mutually-exclusive, though. In my first game, I found Child Labor tremendously useful in the early game, but later I found I didn't really need it anymore. In my second game, I managed to claw through the early days without the kids helping and then, later, they helped in the medical facilities with all the sick refugees.

15. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

I tried starting to play Morrowind and got destroyed in the first cave (on the lowest possible difficulty even)
    Made me kinda think a bit so I went back and tried Skyrim, which I was able to play competently, so I don't know much.
    Didn't do as much in Skyrim as last time. I decided to try to do the two major choices differently from last time, so I sided with the Stormcloacks and the Volkihar vampires. It made me feel terrible
    In any case I'm a bit bummed out Morrowind might be too difficult for me.

never do this

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Morrowind certainly has approaches that do not work, but it isn't "too difficult" in general. By "the first cave" do you mean the one right there by Seyda Neen's strider port? If so, you should know that such close proximity to your starting point doesn't really mean that it should be the first thing you do. At the very least using all the available simple quests in the village to train up and gear up is almost a necessity.

17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

You should have looted the census office(exept for the room with the guard.) and sold the stuff for a weapon that is better than the butter knife you find at first and something that your character has the proper skills to use. Also you should give the engraved ring of healing the the bosmer guy before going to the shop 'cause that makes him happy and since he's friends with the shop-keeper, it'll make the shop keeper like you thus earning a discount. Running into the cave wearing prisoner clothes and armed with a butter knife has a chance of survival comparable to jumping off a cliff with only 1HP left.
    The first time i played i got slaughtered by a rat. The second time i played i got eaten by a kwama forager so don't feel too bad about getting killed by bandits....

18. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

My biggest beef with Morrowind was that they made it an FPS but still kept D&D style dice rolls for whether or not your swings hit anything. It quickly grew tiring to watch your character stab a bandit 50 times and wonder why nothing is happening to them.

19. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

That's cause when your fatigue is low, your chances of hitting anything is just about zero, and if you do hit you'll do like 1 point of damage. Plus if your skill with a certain weapons is below a certain point, same thing. Miss. Miss.Miss. Miss. Miss. Miss. 1 point of damage. Miss. Get pissed off. Exit game. Download lightsaber weapon. Use TES construction set to make the lightsaber do realistic damage. Enable lightsaber mod. Start game, retrieve lightsaber. Go on rampage. Depopulate Vvardenfell.

20. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That cave is Addamasartus - it's surprisingly dangerous, even if you know what you're doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.