What Video Games Have You Been Playing VII: The Real Ending is Locked Behind a Paywall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing some Gothic 2 in anticipation of Elex.

From what I've seen so far, it's going to be amazing. A proper RPG. Don't miss it.

I've been playing some Gothic 2 in anticipation of Elex.

From what I've seen so far, it's going to be amazing. A proper RPG. Don't miss it.
Gothic 2 was interesting, but had a lot of very strange design decisions. I mean, the Night of the Raven expansion was interesting, and basically Risen: the Prelude, but the way it was inserted in the game threw off the pacing of the main quest. Playing as a Paladin, I never could figure out a way to beat the evil wizards that spring up all over the map without a lot of luck and cheese, and the combat system was strange at best. (Which, considering Piranha Bites other games, should come as no surprise. They never have figured out to how to make a combat system that makes sense.)

Gothic was decent, Gothic 2 was great, Risen pretty good.
I only got Gothic 3 on a steam sale and gave up when I realized that combat comes down to hitting first and spamming attacks to stunlock the enemy before you can get stunlock.
The quality of Piranha Bytes games is really inconsistent. I hope Elex will be good, but I remain sceptical.

Gothic 2 was interesting, but had a lot of very strange design decisions. I mean, the Night of the Raven expansion was interesting, and basically Risen: the Prelude, but the way it was inserted in the game threw off the pacing of the main quest. Playing as a Paladin, I never could figure out a way to beat the evil wizards that spring up all over the map without a lot of luck and cheese, and the combat system was strange at best. (Which, considering Piranha Bites other games, should come as no surprise. They never have figured out to how to make a combat system that makes sense.)
But that's the great thing about Gothic and Gothic 2, you actually have to use your brain and come up with ways to deal with stuff in opposite to... well, just hacking away like you do in most other RPGs. You go around searching for stuff, find secrets everywhere, and you sort of need that hidden stuff to overcome some of the stronger enemies. The wizards (I think they were called Seekers?) are the prime example of that, as they're limited in numbers. if you can't beat them with your normal equip, use some of the strong spell scrolls that you've hopefully found (or bought for a lot of gold). If all else fails, transform into a Shadowbeast and rake your way through them. :3

But I guess it depends on what exactly you're looking for. Aside from the fact that Gothic and Gothic 2 are very old games from a time where most games had bad combat systems (though I would agree that combat in Gothic was bad even for its time), "Combat" was never the focus of Gothic, and that's a bit of a strange concept for many people.

I've been on a Diablo bender. First I played some old Diablo 2 hardcore classic, built a 75 non-viable frenzy sword barbarian that I need to turn into a lance dueler before the ladder resets.... if I'm gonna play again.

But then the real fun started and I started playing the Bezelbub Diablo 1 mod. I currently have a sorcerer and warrior in their early 40s in hell/hell. The shared stash makes it so I can juggle my grind through.

I tried to play the first Gothic but I found it too difficult.

Its a German game, so you should know what to expect by now
Gothic 2 is the same but deep down it is an amazing RPG, well worth struggling through its German like controls, learning the mechanics and punishing gameplay

Last edited:
I started a new save in Fallout 4 and already I'm finding things I missed in past playthroughs. This game is so massive it's awesome.

Also I tried to finish ME: Andromeda like Commodore but I couldn't make it past five minutes. That game is also massive but it feels like there's nothing fun to do. :(

I actually got over 30 hours in before stopping that game. And the combat is pretty good despite comments above. It's everything else that's terrible. My biggest gripe it's too hard to get around the map. Though fast travel makes things easier. I never did find the entrance to this one base for a quest, and couldn't find the solution online, so I quit playing. This game is a problem for completionists like me. But why should I waste 10 minutes or more looking for the entrance to a base (it was protected by a force field)? How is this fun in any way?

And really I blame Bethesda games for this. Everyone is trying to do what they did. Even Witcher 3. Luckily Witcher 3 had a great story, and I finished it. But it's too long and too much open world. I never thought I'd say a game could have too much open world. Thing is, I appear to be the only person in the world who thinks Bethesda games are massively overrated, including Skyrim.

I haven't played many bethesda games but I think skyrim is boring.

Did a playthrough of FTL with captain's edition mod last night. Took 90 minutes maybe? It's such a great game to just pick up for a bit and then put down til whenever I'm bored.

Jeez, Elex is as amazing as I hoped it would be.
And its combat system is as annoying as I feared it would be.

Jeez, Elex is as amazing as I hoped it would be.
And its combat system is as annoying as I feared it would be.

Huh...
How crap is the combat ? According to reviews Elex inherits all the strengths and weaknesses of Piranha Pybes games and it's still their best work since Gothic 2.

I am interested if the combat isn't too crap. I have a soft spot for Eurojank RPGs (Gothic, Risen, Mars:War Logs, Demonicon...) with at least tolerable combat, but Gothic 3 and the Risen sequels were intolerable.

I find it more annoying than the combat in Gothic 2, but I would also say it's better than the combat in Gothic 3.

Hard to compare though, because it has this Dark Souls-ish influence where you're locked into ages-long combat animations. That works in 1on1-situations (although there are a few enemy types that seem to constantly ignore stagger), but becomes really annoying very quickly if you attack more than one enemy at once. Which I guess is in itself a feature of the Gothic Series. ;) Enemy (and Follower) AI is terrible, too.

I find it more annoying than the combat in Gothic 2, but I would also say it's better than the combat in Gothic 3.

Hmm, that's damning with faint praise...

Hard to compare though, because it has this Dark Souls-ish influence where you're locked into ages-long combat animations.

Don't you mean Gothic-ish influence ? Because Gothic combat seems to have had an influence on Dark Souls ages ago.

That works in 1on1-situations (although there are a few enemy types that seem to constantly ignore stagger), but becomes really annoying very quickly if you attack more than one enemy at once. Which I guess is in itself a feature of the Gothic Series. ;) Enemy (and Follower) AI is terrible, too.

Yeah, I've read/heard about terrible AI.
The game looks like something I'd really enjoy, but I think I'll wait for a patch or two.

After upgrading my video card, I finally got around on buying Fallout 4 GOTY edition!

After upgrading my video card, I finally got around on buying Fallout 4 GOTY edition!

$27 for the DLC price is still too high, considering how much value is in the vanilla game $15

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Even despite its age it is a quite nice game to play.
I haven't played it since my Xbox was cutting-edge console gaming tech, but KOTOR is definitely on my list of favorite games of all time.

$27 for the DLC price is still too high, considering how much value is in the vanilla game $15
I don't know, they added a ton of stuff with the DLC.

So I'm thinking of making a narrative telling of my latest Fallout 4 play through. I've been mentally role playing as I go and I would like to write it up as a story with pictures. Is there a place and an audience for that on CFC?

What mods are you using for Fallout 4? I could recommend a bunch, if you're in the market.

As for using a crpg for some sort of narrative, I've thought about that myself. I'm not really a good enough writer, though. One concern I would have, when it comes to Fallout 4, is that the story in that game is one of its greatest flaws. I'd be more interested if it was a new story. The setting, the factions, and many of the existing characters and locations - many of which are terribly underused and ripe for fleshing-out - are good, though.

Weaponsmith Extended is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom