What Videogames are you playing? ΙΔ - Meet your doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we need a Van de Graaff and a Leyden jar.

Deal. You should come to IL for NYE. It goes legal at midnight.

It's probably best I can't throw bolts of lightening with my hands. I mean, it also sucks, but it's probably best.

Imagine all the static shocks you'd get!

Yeah, but I've been to CA and you've been to IL. You enjoyed your stay. I did not.

I know the rube is the one out of place, but the constant stream of awkward that follows the continuous "how you doing?" is enough to make me insane. Nothing actually highlights that they don't care how you're doing then asking you directly and being offput that you responded. It's like taking an unpleasant thing you know already, but then just rubbing your nose in it like a dog that crapped on the carpet. But it was their dog and they invited you in.

Imagine all the static shocks you'd get!

Our high school physics teacher liked running the Leyden jar over the Van de Graaff and then having everyone in the classroom hold hands to form a completed circuit. I don't think he ever knocked anyone all the way out of their desk chair, but it was pretty damn funny and caught the attention of some of the students that generally zoned out on everything.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I've been to CA and you've been to IL. You enjoyed your stay. I did not.

I know the rube is the one out of place, but the constant stream of awkward that follows the continuous "how you doing?" is enough to make me insane. Nothing actually highlights that they don't care how you're doing then asking you directly and being offput that you responded. It's like taking an unpleasant thing you know already, but then just rubbing your nose in it like a dog that crapped on the carpet. But it was their dog and they invited you in.

I personally always take the "how you doing?" "how are you?" etc questions as a challenge rather than an interrogative. Nobody is really interested in a detailed report about someone else's life, and everyone knows it, so I don't just try to file my report with whatever automaton happens to ask next. I take the opportunity to make a prediction as to how I will make the rest of the day go. So my response is usually chosen from among "excellent," "marvelous," "terrific," and "if it were any better there'd have to be two of me to do it." Of course I follow that with "And how are you?" There's frequently awkwardness after, but it's all on the other side so I just don't GAF.

As to my various stays in Illinois...sure I enjoyed them, but I always enjoy wherever I am at the time*. I even enjoyed the one Illinois stay that involved living there for seven months, including a winter. But you notice I don't choose to live there now.

*exception that proves the rule, Adak Alaska. Highly not recommended.

In the UK, at least, "how are you?" is usually just a form of "hello", with no controversial answer expected.

In the UK, at least, "how are you?" is usually just a form of "hello", with no controversial answer expected.

Here too. The expected response, which also translates to "hello," is "fine," perhaps with an attached "and you?" that calls for them saying hello twice since they started it. I don't answer the way that I do to start a controversy, I do it to challenge myself. When I have told a handful of people that the day is going to be marvelous I am obligated to make it happen, and I usually do. Even when I fall a bit short my days are almost always better than just "fine."

That's a positive way of looking at things.

Well crap, I don't think my PC will run Mechwarrior 5. Min specs say i3-8100 which is a quad core 3.1 ghz cpu from 2018 and mine's an i5-760, a quad core 2.8 ghz from 2010. I'm not sure how much a performance hit difference there is there, but probably significant. And min gpu is a r 580 4gb of ram and mine's an r9 270, like four tiers below this one, only 2gb of ram. I might be able to squeak out 30 fps at min settings. But epic games gives refunds so I'll probably try it and return it if my pc sucks. Not gonna buy a new pc right now just to play that one game.

I don’t know. I feel like I’m expected to give an answer, even if it’s a one liner of my state of feeling.

Well crap, I don't think my PC will run Mechwarrior 5. Min specs say i3-8100 which is a quad core 3.1 ghz cpu from 2018 and mine's an i5-760, a quad core 2.8 ghz from 2010. I'm not sure how much a performance hit difference there is there, but probably significant. And min gpu is a r 580 4gb of ram and mine's an r9 270, like four tiers below this one, only 2gb of ram. I might be able to squeak out 30 fps at min settings. But epic games gives refunds so I'll probably try it and return it if my pc sucks. Not gonna buy a new pc right now just to play that one game.

This is wisdom. I bought a new PC (basically) to play one game...which I have currently put about an hour into. CivIV seems to run a bit faster than it did on my old machine though.

I don’t know. I feel like I’m expected to give an answer, even if it’s a one liner of my state of feeling.

Well, you're also expected to answer when someone says "hello," right?

"How's it going?" "Oh, fine" is a direct equivalent to "Hello" "Oh, hi."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ant queen pheromones? I'll bet there would be a market for those...

This is wisdom. I bought a new PC (basically) to play one game...which I have currently put about an hour into. CivIV seems to run a bit faster than it did on my old machine though.

Yeah I haven't even bought a new game in months cus I know I'll just revert to old ones. It's like I don't have the willpower or time to learn anything new and go back to my comforts. Even civ6, which isn't daunting since I know the civ basic format and style, I can't get into, yet I could fire up civ4 or master of orion 2 or FTL at any time.

Not gonna buy a new pc right now just to play that one game.
Uhhhh… Is there literally any other reason to buy a new PC?? :mischief:

I bought my current laptop to play Civ 6. I bought the one before that to play Civ 5 (well maybe also StarCraft 2 I guess). I bought the one before that to play Civ 4. :lol:
Yeah I haven't even bought a new game in months cus I know I'll just revert to old ones. It's like I don't have the willpower or time to learn anything new and go back to my comforts. Even civ6, which isn't daunting since I know the civ basic format and style, I can't get into, yet I could fire up civ4 or master of orion 2 or FTL at any time.
Civ 4 still has replay value for me that Civ 5 just doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom