What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frost Punk - Been playing "The Last Autumn" scenario, which is like a "generator builder" challenge in survival mode with the added twist that its (relatively) warm outside and you can receive shipments of resources rather than having to mine/forage them. I tried it at first several times on the hardest difficulty in the no-pause mode, but that was too hard and things kept getting out of control before I could finish the generator construction, so I am no playing on normal difficulty and I've finished the generator. I then elected to complete the additional challenge, which is to work through the initial winter that has set in, and upgrade the generator.

The Long Dark: Tale From the Far Territory

Stalker, Day 110. I wrapped up Hushed River Valley in only a couple of weeks. I found a 3rd bunker there, but it was empty. I was actually glad. If I'd gone 3-for-3 on bunkers full of supplies, I'd have less to look forward to. So I wandered back through Milton and Mystery Lake, then went back to Bleak Inlet by way of the ravine. Which turned out to be unnecessary, because the bunker wasn't where I thought it was. Running from Timberwolves during the Aurora sure is exciting. Had to slide down two cliffs getting away from them and broke all my [stuff], but I got there. So now I've decamped to Pleasant Valley. Probably stay here for a bit. I should explore Blackrock some more, too (yay, more Timberwolves!). I don't think I've ever fully mapped out that region before. I expect I'll head back up to Timberwolf Mountain and Ash Canyon eventually, but after spending so much time there on my last run, I'm not in any hurry.

As I was playing Skyrim this evening* I realized that when I started playing Morrowind in 2011, it was considered an 'old game'. Now, more time separates now from when Skyrim came out, than the time between Morrowind and Skyrim.....

*Going for an Aragorn/Ranger build with bow, 2handed, alchemy, and a desperate attempt to avoid turning into a stealth archer....

The Long Dark: Tale From the Far Territory

Stalker, Day 110. I wrapped up Hushed River Valley in only a couple of weeks. I found a 3rd bunker there, but it was empty. I was actually glad. If I'd gone 3-for-3 on bunkers full of supplies, I'd have less to look forward to. So I wandered back through Milton and Mystery Lake, then went back to Bleak Inlet by way of the ravine. Which turned out to be unnecessary, because the bunker wasn't where I thought it was. Running from Timberwolves during the Aurora sure is exciting. Had to slide down two cliffs getting away from them and broke all my [stuff], but I got there. So now I've decamped to Pleasant Valley. Probably stay here for a bit. I should explore Blackrock some more, too (yay, more Timberwolves!). I don't think I've ever fully mapped out that region before. I expect I'll head back up to Timberwolf Mountain and Ash Canyon eventually, but after spending so much time there on my last run, I'm not in any hurry.
Are you using the shortwave to find bunkers or are you just manually searching and finding them? I've only found one bunker so far, in Milton, and it was completely empty. I just happened upon it though, I didn't have the shortwave radio at the time.

Frost Punk - I finished the "Last Autumn" scenario on normal difficulty and got the achievement for it. I only ended up losing 8 workers but that was through a scripted even that happens right towards the very end. OI opted for the Engineers track over the Workers track for my labor tree. I might try again using the Workers track to see if there is a big difference. The scenario gives you multiple opportunities to end the game early by giving up on the mission and going back to England, but I opted to play the scenario to completion which means waiting for the company to send icebreaker ships to bring all the workers home after the generator is completed. What it essentially boils down to, is stockpiling enough food and coal to last you a week where you have no access to additional provisions. By the time I got to that point, I had so much food and coal in reserve that I thought there was no chance of me running out, but I ended up switching to higher food rations to prevent the motivation bar from cratering, which of course risks triggering a mandatory game-losing event/task. You basically just have to ride it out until the end. I ended up running out of food the last 2 days but nobody starved to death in that time. We still had plenty of coal so the homes stayed above freezing.

Last edited:
Are you using the shortwave to find bunkers or are you just manually searching and finding them? I've only found one bunker so far, in Milton, and it was completely empty. I just happened upon it though, I didn't have the shortwave radio at the time.
Both. There are some bunkers you can only find by using the handheld radio, as part of Signal Void, but the last update also included the rework of the bunkers that were always in the game, expanding their number to 9 and changing their locations.

I have been playing Across the Obelisk. A deck builder game like Slay the Spire, but you control 4 characters at once. It is very complex and has 17 difficulty levels. Rogue elite setting as well.

I use it to play something similar to chess/ Hearthstone, but with its own rules. So far it is hard enough which is the reason I play strategic games.

I finished the main story of Jedi: Survivor on Jedi Knight (Normal) difficulty. Now I'll see whether I have the patience to collect the missed chests, echoes etc.

Apparently there's a small chance in Jedi Survivor that a Rancor can just randomly appear in the middle of a fight, grab you, and eat you, complete with a startled yelp from your character and crunching and slurping. :yumyum: :lol: That's hilarious. Someone on Reddit asked, "is this a bug?" and the dev was like, "Nope." I'm crying. :lol:

I have played this, but not with an emulator. Afaik the frame-saving bugs are not there in the version run at coolmath.games. More importantly, the far more glaring "you reached the green area, despite just being near it" bug, isn't there.
Regardless, it is certainly very AR, and only played once (got to level 10).

The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory

Stalker, Day ~140. I finished "Signal Void" over the weekend and got the Technical Balaklava and the Rifle Holster. I'm not sure I understood the whole story. I may see if the notes you pick up are retained in the journal. I assume they are. Maybe I'll follow it better if I read them all at once, rather than over the course of 3 weeks. I also didn't visit the bunkers in order, so maybe it'll help to re-read the notes in order.

I spent about 4 weeks in Pleasant Valley before deciding to head off and find the last Signal Void location. So now I'm back on Drift Island, not sure where to go next. This isn't a bad place to hang out for a while and work on my skills, actually. It has a couple of fishing huts nearby, and I've been lagging on developing my Fishing skill. I think it's only level 2. I realized last night that I don't have a hatchet, and I'm not sure where I left it. Probably Rusty's Hovel. I think I left a spare set of everything in the big hangar, anyway.

So I've already hit the phase of the game where I'm kind of drumming my fingers and wondering what to do. I could probably get Skilled Survivor (all skills to lvl 5) soon enough, but Will to Live (survive 500 days) is a year away. *groan* I haven't touched Coastal Highway yet, and that would be a good spot to work on my fishing and try out the new beachcombing. I think I still have parts of Blackrock I've never seen. Or I could start an Interloper run.

:think:

EDIT: It occurred to me while playing this weekend that I don't think I've found a single regular rifle in this run. Not one. I've got Vaughn's Rifle, but I think the unique items have their own sets of spawn points, so if rifle spawns are bugged, it might not affect the uniques. (If you want one of them, Vaughn's Rifle can be found in Carter Dam or Winding River and The Curator's Rifle can be found in Ash Canyon. I've never found Barb's Rifle, so I don't know where that one is.) Now that I have the sling, I might want to go get the Curator's Rifle (the advantage to Vaughn's Rifle is that it's lighter, while the Curator's Rifle has better range). And that would give me something to do, since I'm clear across the island from there, and it wasn't in the one spot that I already knew to look for it.

Last edited:
The year is 1851.

1684516547323.png

Check the chaos in the US. Britain demolished it and stole a number of provinces, including the entire pacific coast.
US also lost texas to Mexico (I didn't pay attention to see if Britain intervened for Mexico and it was all in the same war - only just ended the 2 year war with the Ottoman Empire)

1684516656226.png

I started playing Bully. Not a fan of the control scheme, and it keeps crashing, but I'm hoping to find out what the fuss is about.

The Long Dark: Tales From the Far Territory

Stalker, Day 148. Forlorn Muskeg.

Ahead of me:
Spoiler :
screen_329b0b8e-e155-4cb8-a5b0-7d30f1472181_hi.png
Behind me:
Spoiler :
screen_5d583a66-6456-490f-9a56-303eb69524f5_hi.png

Spoiler :

As I was playing Skyrim this evening* I realized that when I started playing Morrowind in 2011, it was considered an 'old game'. Now, more time separates now from when Skyrim came out, than the time between Morrowind and Skyrim.....

*Going for an Aragorn/Ranger build with bow, 2handed, alchemy, and a desperate attempt to avoid turning into a stealth archer....
UPDATE: The only thing that stopped me from going true stealth archer is that a 2h weapon allows me to wreck any enemy that gets close after the sniping.
Those flying falmer insects are more terrifying than dragons.
And whichever developer thought combining the disarm shout, Skyrims dodgy physics engine, and environment clipping needs to get thrown across the room and into the void just like legendary greatsword!

(I'm playing with the Morrowloot mod, which delevels Skyrim and makes any equipment type above steel quite rare. No more will you see bob the bandit running around with glass or ebony.)

And whichever developer thought combining the disarm shout, Skyrims dodgy physics engine, and environment clipping needs to get thrown across the room and into the void just like legendary greatsword!
I lost an Ebony bow that way........stupid ghost.

The Long Dark

Stalker, Day 168. Settled in at my home-away-from-home, Timberwolf Mountain, grinding my skills. Boy, Fishing improves slowly.

---

The Long Dark

Interloper, Day 1. Cold Fusion; Efficient Machine. Desolation Point just below the lighthouse at dawn. -4F.

I went up into the lighthouse to scrounge, and while I was inside a blizzard started. [Frack] me. I had no matches yet, so I had no water, and I didn't want to waste an entire day twiddling my thumbs, so I decided to let The Force guide me, and went out. First, to the Rijken. It was so dark inside the ship, I had to turn off all the lights in the room, draw the curtains, and shut my door, so I could just barely make out what was on the screen. I found a key to a lockbox over by Hibernia Processing. Blizzard was still going when I went outside, so I sprinted for the trailers, then into the processing plant. The motherlode: A box of matches, a torch, a couple of books, a thin wool sweater, a light parka, workboots, a wool toque, a bunch of food and a crowbar. More than I could've asked for. The blizzard was still going, I decided to spend some time boiling drinking water and eating granola bars, and spent the night in the bunkroom.

Day 2. -5F. Sprinted across the road to avoid a wolf, then into the mine. Gathered a bunch of coal. Nothing of value in the stone church, then through the other mine, and into Crumbling Highway. Still not much to find, but I avoided the wolves and am loaded with coal, so that's not nothing. On Coastal Highway, nearly all of the houses are burned out wrecks. Besides the garage, there were only 2 houses still standing in the little town. Spent the night in the garage, and just when I was thinking I'd have to sew some improvised mittens together, I found a pair of work gloves. Then I realized that I forgot to look for the lockbox near Hibernia Processing. [Frack]. Not going back, now.

Day 3. 0F. Headed out onto the ice to check the houses on the islands and maybe see if anything interesting washed up on the shore. I got surprised by a wolf as I was heading up to Jackrabbit Island, but got a lucky shot in with my prybar. Naturally, the wolf ran back up the hill, right where I wanted to go, instead of back across the ice to rejoin his comrades. Then another blizzard started. I was at about 50% health and had to choose between trying to reach the house and probably fighting the wolf again or striking off into the blizzard. I decided I preferred the blizzard. I thought I knew which direction the nearest ice-fishing hut was, but I missed it and ended up going all the way back to the road. Got into the Log Sort trailer with about 20% health and the blizzard still raging and decided to call it a night.

Okay, not great, not terrible. Lots of food, lots of coal and no frostbite. I have enough clothing to run from place to place in the mornings and take my time in the afternoons, at least for a little while, but I'm light on tools. No bedroll, no hand saw, no forge hammer, no mag lens. 22 matches, a mostly-full lantern, and a prybar. I got surprised by a wolf and caught unprepared by 2 blizzards, but survived. On Day 4, I figure I'll check the island houses, the ice fishing huts, and the fishing cabins, then follow the creek up to the railroad tracks. The firewatch tower and the coal mine are behind me now. I feel like the tower would be a good place to look for tools, but it's a hike and I don't know if I want to spend another half a day here, just for that. I'd like to be in Carter Dam before lunch on Day 5.

MTG:Arena

Came out on Steam, matches are surprisingly fast compared to what I remembered
Worried that once the starter event is finished then theres only playing ladder against the Whales

The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory

Stalker, Day ~140. I finished "Signal Void" over the weekend and got the Technical Balaklava and the Rifle Holster. I'm not sure I understood the whole story. I may see if the notes you pick up are retained in the journal. I assume they are. Maybe I'll follow it better if I read them all at once, rather than over the course of 3 weeks. I also didn't visit the bunkers in order, so maybe it'll help to re-read the notes in order.
Do you get an achievement for completing it? In my current run I'd been spending some time hunting wabbits on Drift Island to practice bowhunting. It hasn't been going well, but the weather has been surprisingly good, which has discouraged me from heading back to the airport. I really should get back to the Signal Void quest now that I have the radio... It's... Just.Soooo.Faaaaaar... to get back to Broken Railroad from here, let alone the other maps I need to visit.
So I've already hit the phase of the game where I'm kind of drumming my fingers and wondering what to do. I could probably get Skilled Survivor (all skills to lvl 5) soon enough, but Will to Live (survive 500 days) is a year away. *groan* I haven't touched Coastal Highway yet, and that would be a good spot to work on my fishing and try out the new beachcombing. I think I still have parts of Blackrock I've never seen. Or I could start an Interloper run.

:think:
That's the thing about the game... the most exciting part is the beginning where you're constantly freezing and starving and on the verge of death every step of the way... jubilant to find the odd stale candy bar in a glove compartment... or frantically collecting sticks to make a fire in a cave just to survive the night. Once you get a few properly stocked bases all set up, there is a real... "OK...soooo... what now??" factor that sets in.

That's why I almost wish they would add a Jason-esque NPC villain to survival mode to stalk you from map to map, like in "The Hunted" and/or "Escape the Darkwalker" challenges. Or maybe periodic super-blizzards that would trap you indoors for long stretches of days at a time, forcing you to burn through stockpiles of food and supplies with no way of replenishing them... kind of similar to Frost Punk.

I usually reach the lull point once I've fully stocked Trapper's Cabin and Camp Office... I just end up shuttling back and forth between them, because its relatively easy to survive indefinitely that way, with relatively close access to basically everything needed... and it starts to seem foolhardy to leave such a relatively stable situation, just to "go exploring"... but ironically, that is the only way to bring back the challenge aspect that makes the game so enjoyable in the first place :crazyeye: ... either that... or starting over :mischief:

I don't know... maybe I just need to stop being a wuss and start playing Interloper.:p

I guess another thing I could do is try to complete more of the challenges... the notion of having a goal to complete with a clear endpoint to reach is appealing. The conversely ironic thing about the challenges... what I don't like about them... similar to the story mode episodes... is that you do all this work getting your gear all collected and supplies all stocked up, but then the game is over... so you don't even get to enjoy the fruits of your labor :lol:
EDIT: It occurred to me while playing this weekend that I don't think I've found a single regular rifle in this run. Not one. I've got Vaughn's Rifle, but I think the unique items have their own sets of spawn points, so if rifle spawns are bugged, it might not affect the uniques. (If you want one of them, Vaughn's Rifle can be found in Carter Dam or Winding River and The Curator's Rifle can be found in Ash Canyon. I've never found Barb's Rifle, so I don't know where that one is.) Now that I have the sling, I might want to go get the Curator's Rifle (the advantage to Vaughn's Rifle is that it's lighter, while the Curator's Rifle has better range). And that would give me something to do, since I'm clear across the island from there, and it wasn't in the one spot that I already knew to look for it.
Same here... there are definitely way less rifles... I've only found one so far, and I've been to Broken Railroad, Far Branch Line, Forsaken Airfield, Milton, Forlorn Muskeg a thousand curses upon it and Hushed River Valley. Ordinarily, I'd have found at least 6 rifles by now and would be regarding them basically as junk... which, thinking about it, is probably part of why they reduced the number you can find. I mentioned before, its like they've made Stalker more like everyone was asking them to make Interloper... guns are available, but there's way less of them, and even when you find them, they are in very poor condition.
The Long Dark

Stalker, Day 168. Settled in at my home-away-from-home, Timberwolf Mountain, grinding my skills. Boy, Fishing improves slowly.

---

The Long Dark

Interloper, Day 1. Cold Fusion; Efficient Machine. Desolation Point just below the lighthouse at dawn. -4F.
Are you giving up your Stalker run? Or is there some way for you to go back to it? My recollection was that starting a new survivor run overwrites the prior one... Or can we still load them from saves?

Last edited:
Do you get an achievement for completing it?
Yes.

I usually reach the lull point once I've fully stocked Trapper's Cabin and Camp Office... I just end up shuttling back and forth between them, because its relatively easy to survive indefinitely that way, with relatively close access to basically everything needed... and it starts to seem foolhardy to leave such a relatively stable situation, just to "go exploring"...
The Faithful Cartographer achievement is the best of them, for just this reason. It's the one that encourages exploration. Skilled Survivor and Will to Live don't, and the badges that enable the skills don't (and anyway, you can't use your new skills without starting a new game).

I've invented two long-term, in-game goals for myself, to keep myself moving: The first one is to mark the locations of all of the corpses in the game with spraypaint, so they can be recovered later and returned to their families, by some recovery team you hope will be coming. This one you can actually do, and make it a part of getting Faithful Cartographer. There'd be no reason to hurry, so there'd be no reason it couldn't take you 6-9 months, which would be a good chunk towards also getting Will to Live.

The other one I came up with is to gather parts and tools from across the island to repair the boat sitting in Bleak Inlet. You can't actually do this in the game, right now. Or at least, I can't think of a way to "fake it." It'd have to be some kind of mod. If I were able to do this...
Spoiler :
The player would have to travel around the island, retrieving a variety of tools and materials and parts, and bring them back to Bleak Inlet, then repair the boat. For example, Google says that a tank of gas for a welding torch can be as much as 5' tall and weigh 60 lbs. Imagine you find one of those at the airfield. And there are some salvageable parts of the Rijken that you can remove with the cutting torch; so first you have to drag the torch and the tank from the airfield to the Rijken, then you have to drag the torch and the tank and the parts back to Bleak Inlet. Maybe the small plane wreck near Milton or the big plane wreck at the top of Timberwolf Mountain have some things you can use. Or maybe there's something in the machine shop in the prison, or inside Carter Dam. Since your character isn't a naval engineer, you'd also have to find books that explain how to repair the ship, which could be anywhere. Maybe "Cutting & Welding" is a new skill you'd have to develop to Level 3 before tackling the repair of the ship. Repairing the ship enough to get it running could be something that's meant to take a year. That'd be why the owner just left it there in the first place.

I don't know... maybe I just need to stop being a wuss and start playing Interloper.:p
Yes, that too. ;) Although, as I mentioned earlier, it would be much tougher to get Skilled Survivor on Interloper, since you'd have to rely on Skill Books for the gun-related skills. I guess I don't know for sure that there are enough books seeded into the game to get all of those skills to 5 by reading alone. I suppose the machine shop in Bleak Inlet still works at Interloper, so you could develop your Gunsmithing by making ammo for guns you'll never have.

Are you giving up your Stalker run? Or is there some way for you to go back to it? My recollection was that starting a new survivor run overwrites the prior one... Or can we still load them from saves?
You can have multiple saves. You just have to give your new save a different name. So my Stalker run and my Interloper run are concurrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom