What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory

Stalker. I forget what day it is. I finished mapping out Forsaken Airfield, more or less, in about 5 weeks. Never did find a bunker, although I did find some things I hadn't seen on my last run there. I didn't get to every square inch, but I was getting impatient and decided to head back. I spent about a week looking around Broken Railroad, but there were so many [friggin] wolves it was driving me crazy. Now I'm in Forlorn Muskeg. I haven't quite decided where to make my HQ. Currently I'm in the Poacher's Camp just because it's the closest to being in the center of the map, but I think I'm going to have to move. I'm not sure there's one, great spot to use as a base camp here. I might use Poacher's Camp while I map out north and northeast of the railroad and then relocate to Old Spence while I explore the rest. I definitely mapped out this region once before, to get Faithful Cartographer*, but it was a while ago and I can't remember how I did it.

But... (Signal Void spoiler?)
Spoiler :
I don't think the handheld shortwave tracker works until you repair and reactivate the region's radio tower. In which case, I should just go up to Milton now, because I'm pretty sure I won't find a car battery anywhere in Forlorn Muskeg. I checked the radio tower that's nearest to the exit to Milton, and it wasn't that one, so it has to be other one, down by the exit to Bleak Inlet. Dragging that heavy-[donk] battery all the way over there is really going to [inhale]. I'll have to leave a lot of tools and weapons in the house in Milton and try to be as Spartan as I can. I'll also leave a bunch of food, water and firewood in the Poacher's Camp here, so I don't have to wander around too much on the way back.

* They should make a new Achievement, updating Faithful Cartographer for new regions. When I got it, they didn't have Ash Canyon, Blackrock, Bleak Inlet or Forsaken Airfield yet (plus the big transition zones that lead to Blackrock and Airfield). Somebody who gets Faithful Cartographer today will have done a whole lot more than I did to earn it.

I tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but evidently my CPU isn't up for it. It was sluggish even in the opening tutorial. I'm overdue for a CPU/mobo/ram overhaul. This machine was second-tier in 2016.

I tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but evidently my CPU isn't up for it. It was sluggish even in the opening tutorial. I'm overdue for a CPU/mobo/ram overhaul. This machine was second-tier in 2016.
I haven't bought any new games in a while, but I suspect my PC will be creaking soon, too. I was watching the gameplay trailer for Unrecord on YouTube and thinking that I would probably have to upgrade every single component of my machine to run it.

Stalker. I forget what day it is. I finished mapping out Forsaken Airfield, more or less, in about 5 weeks. Never did find a bunker, although I did find some things I hadn't seen on my last run there. I didn't get to every square inch, but I was getting impatient and decided to head back. I spent about a week looking around Broken Railroad, but there were so many [friggin] wolves it was driving me crazy. Now I'm in Forlorn Muskeg. I haven't quite decided where to make my HQ. Currently I'm in the Poacher's Camp just because it's the closest to being in the center of the map, but I think I'm going to have to move. I'm not sure there's one, great spot to use as a base camp here. I might use Poacher's Camp while I map out north and northeast of the railroad and then relocate to Old Spence while I explore the rest. I definitely mapped out this region once before, to get Faithful Cartographer*, but it was a while ago and I can't remember how I did it.

But... (Signal Void spoiler?)
Spoiler :
I don't think the handheld shortwave tracker works until you repair and reactivate the region's radio tower. In which case, I should just go up to Milton now, because I'm pretty sure I won't find a car battery anywhere in Forlorn Muskeg. I checked the radio tower that's nearest to the exit to Milton, and it wasn't that one, so it has to be other one, down by the exit to Bleak Inlet. Dragging that heavy-[donk] battery all the way over there is really going to [inhale]. I'll have to leave a lot of tools and weapons in the house in Milton and try to be as Spartan as I can. I'll also leave a bunch of food, water and firewood in the Poacher's Camp here, so I don't have to wander around too much on the way back.

* They should make a new Achievement, updating Faithful Cartographer for new regions. When I got it, they didn't have Ash Canyon, Blackrock, Bleak Inlet or Forsaken Airfield yet (plus the big transition zones that lead to Blackrock and Airfield). Somebody who gets Faithful Cartographer today will have done a whole lot more than I did to earn it.
I can confirm that you have to
Spoiler :
fix the radio tower (AND turn it ON! which I forgot to do in Milton :cringe:) in order to use the shortwave radio.

Not that I did it yet, just that the developers notes state this explicitly. I think there is a chance for a car battery in the crashed truck in Milton Basin, if you are looking for one nearby. I also learned this time around that you can cut weight to make the car battery actually manageable... you just have to cut alot of weight to do it. You'd probably have to leave all your tools... which makes getting a battery its own sort of mini-quest.

The Long Dark

I'm at Broken Railroad still.... I set out for Far Branch Line/Forsaken Airfield after deciding to skip checking the ravine in Broken Railroad for a rifle. First, I wanted to check the ravine for a rifle. So... I ended up getting lost trying to find the entry point and a blizzard set in. Somehow I ended up back at the region exit at the railroad tunnel :confused: Then I couldn't find my way back past the rockslide. I kept going around in circles, freezing my @** off and losing condition. I did kill and skin a couple wolves for my trouble though... In any case, I finally found my way back to the Maintenance Shed, which is thankfully stocked with some supplies like firewood, so I rested up there and cured my cabin fever risk. The Maintenance Shed is awesome in that there is so much wood (and scap metal) available by breaking up crates and shelves, etc. So anyway then, back to the ravine... Finally, I got there and realized that I would need to bring a rope to get down there (doh!), and then I would have to recover enough condition, with no shelter down there to sleep, in order to be able to climb back up. It seemed like too much of a risk this early in the game for nothing but some cattails and the hope of a rifle... especially since I know for sure that I can get one back in Milton where I left it. The other thing that occurred to me, is that I already found a rifle in Broken Railroad region, so the likelihood of finding another is pretty slim. So I'm skipping the ravine... sour grapes, I know, but I'm over it. I'm going to head for Forsaken Airfield and I'm leaning towards just going for it without the rifle... It will cut weight, save weight for any rifle I find along the way, or in Forsaken Airfield and save me the trip back to Milton. Plus I've got plenty of revolver ammo to scare off wolves.

I read that "Signal Void" has been enabled for Interloper games, with the loot tuned down accordingly. I think I want to finish Signal Void once at Stalker before taking another stab at Interloper, but it's nice they did that.

I can confirm that you have to
Spoiler :
fix the radio tower (AND turn it ON! which I forgot to do in Milton :cringe:) in order to use the shortwave radio.

Not that I did it yet, just that the developers notes state this explicitly. I think there is a chance for a car battery in the crashed truck in Milton Basin, if you are looking for one nearby. I also learned this time around that you can cut weight to make the car battery actually manageable... you just have to cut alot of weight to do it. You'd probably have to leave all your tools... which makes getting a battery its own sort of mini-quest.
I got to the transmitter in Milton, only to realize I hadn't brought the requisite scrap metal. *facepalm* I did try the truck in the Basin before climbing the ropes. No luck. That would've been too easy, I guess.

I'm going to head for Forsaken Airfield and I'm leaning towards just going for it without the rifle... It will cut weight, save weight for any rifle I find along the way, or in Forsaken Airfield and save me the trip back to Milton. Plus I've got plenty of revolver ammo to scare off wolves.
Yeah, but what'll you do when the Wendigo shows up? The revolver just makes it mad. :shifty:

I read that "Signal Void" has been enabled for Interloper games, with the loot tuned down accordingly. I think I want to finish Signal Void once at Stalker before taking another stab at Interloper, but it's nice they did that.
That's good. When I heard that it had been disabled it seemed wrong to me... I mean, the folks who play Interloper exclusively paid for the game/update too... it seemed kinda unfair that they were being denied such a cool part of the update.
I got to the transmitter in Milton, only to realize I hadn't brought the requisite scrap metal. *facepalm* I did try the truck in the Basin before climbing the ropes. No luck. That would've been too easy, I guess.
Same. This happened to me three (four) times actually. :blush: First I climbed all the way up there, noticed it and tried to activate it, only to realize that I needed stuff to fix it.:rolleyes: Then I went and got said stuff, and climbed all the way back up there, only to find out that I didn't bring enough scrap metal. :cringe: But since I didn't have a hacksaw to make scrap metal, I had to go find more, or a hacksaw. Finally I climbed back up there with all the parts I needed, and fixed the transmitter and climbed back down to wait for an aurora, which luckily came that same night, however, nothing happened and I later found out that after you fix it, you have to actually turn the tower switch to "ON" for the tower to start working. :shake: After I climbed back up to the tower and turned the on switch, I then realized that it wasn't going to do me any good without the shortwave radio *facepalm* :lol:

I love this game :D

Thinking about it... the Milton tower and the Mystery Lake Tower should probably be the first/easiest ones to try and activate, since they are so close to warm shelter.
Yeah, but what'll you do when the Wendigo shows up? The revolver just makes it mad. :shifty:
Shift-W, like my life depended on it... cause it does :p

Its funny of course, cause there are, in fact, two honest-to-goodness "Wendingos" in the game... Demon-Bear and Dark Walker :evil: :scared: :mwaha:

Speaking of which... have you found any gunpowder? I can't find any... and I'm itching to make me some noisemakers/flash-bangs... those things are awesome!:yeah:

Last edited:
Revisiting my game of old-school Colonization again. Maybe this time we make it to 1600 and I'm excited about it!

That's good. When I heard that it had been disabled it seemed wrong to me... I mean, the folks who play Interloper exclusively paid for the game/update too... it seemed kinda unfair that they were being denied such a cool part of the update.

Same. This happened to me three (four) times actually. :blush: First I climbed all the way up there, noticed it and tried to activate it, only to realize that I needed stuff to fix it.:rolleyes: Then I went and got said stuff, and climbed all the way back up there, only to find out that I didn't bring enough scrap metal. :cringe: But since I didn't have a hacksaw to make scrap metal, I had to go find more, or a hacksaw. Finally I climbed back up there with all the parts I needed, and fixed the transmitter and climbed back down to wait for an aurora, which luckily came that same night, however, nothing happened and I later found out that after you fix it, you have to actually turn the tower switch to "ON" for the tower to start working. :shake: After I climbed back up to the tower and turned the on switch, I then realized that it wasn't going to do me any good without the shortwave radio *facepalm* :lol:

I love this game :D

Thinking about it... the Milton tower and the Mystery Lake Tower should probably be the first/easiest ones to try and activate, since they are so close to warm shelter.

Shift-W, like my life depended on it... cause it does :p

Its funny of course, cause there are, in fact, two honest-to-goodness "Wendingos" in the game... Demon-Bear and Dark Walker :evil: :scared: :mwaha:

Speaking of which... have you found any gunpowder? I can't find any... and I'm itching to make me some noisemakers/flash-bangs... those things are awesome!:yeah:
I've never found any gunpowder, other than what's in the bullets. I think you have to make it.

What do you get if you activate the radio tower completely?

What do you get if you activate the radio tower completely?
There are stashes of items and new locations you can only find with the signal tracker (and therefore, only at night, while the Aurora is active). There's also a bonus item at the conclusion of the tale.

Should bring in Tucker's new AM radio talk show.
That would make sense. The man is a cockroach, after all. He'll totally survive the apocalypse.

There are stashes of items and new locations you can only find with the signal tracker (and therefore, only at night, while the Aurora is active). There's also a bonus item at the conclusion of the tale.

That would make sense. The man is a cockroach, after all. He'll totally survive the apocalypse.

Tucker Carlson as the radio host in Fallout 5: Make the Wasteland Great Again?

Oh no, that's Fallout, so it'd have to be a veiled reference. Maybe *Trucker* Carlton, a man who roams the wastes in one of those supertrucks that have a mini-apartment behind the driver's seat cockpit, and broadcasts all the time like some sort of land-based pirate radio.

I've never found any gunpowder, other than what's in the bullets. I think you have to make it.
The Blackrock storymode Episode had already-made cans of gunpowder available... I think I'm spoiled.

I want to get the Faithful Cartographer achievement, but I the thought of slogging through a Pilgrim or Voyager run to get it seems... boring :sad: Oh Well... I am trying to decide which of the minigames I'd like to go for. I already have "As the Dead Sleep" although I don't really remember doing it. I still haven't finished any of the others. The Demon Bear one is fun, but I haven't managed to finish it yet. Darkwalker is also terrifyingly fun, but I failed to finish it at Halloween and I thought it disappeared after that until I noticed it again recently.

The Long Dark Stalker, day 46

I finally made it to the Forsaken Airfield region... although not to the airfield itself yet... Whew! What a trek! :whew:

This is by far, the longest detour in the game to get to one region, and they really made it so you have a huge incentive to stay out there once you get there. It takes so freaking long to get there... through 2 full transition regions

Shame on you @EgonSpengler for scaring me like that BTW... there was no Wendingo and it was actually a very pleasant, albeit ridiculously long journey with mostly nice weather and zero... yes ZERO wolves. I encountered no wolves whatsoever between the Broken Railroad bridge and where I ended up... the trailer in Forsaken Airfield. I don't know if that's luck or a bug, but it was a pretty uneventful journey... except for the beginning... When I left the Maintenance Shed in Broken Railroad, there were FOUR wolves waiting for me, all line up in a row, like they had read these threads and knew where I was headed. I kept having to run back into the side-shack to get them to disengage. This dance wne on all morning until I was finally able to scatter them enough to make a run for it, then one of them stalked me all the way to the Broken Bridge. Pretty nerve-wracking.

I don't know if there is a connection, but all those wolves I killed making it back to the shed were out there waiting to be skinned in various places around the Maintenance Yard, crows and all, but I just left them and made for the bridge. So I am wondering if between avoiding the four active wolves and the 4 dead wolf corpses, if I glitched the game into not creating anymore wolves for a while? :think:

In any case, it was night by the time I reached the trailer. I got lost in the Platelayers Shortcut cave for so long I used up almost all my lantern fuel, but I finally found the ledge up at the top of the cave to get out. After that it was smooth sailing and I looted the train station and coal chute, leaving behind a ton of firewood and coal to save weight. So anyway... my next destination is to head straight for the airfield... I could see it in the distance as I was crossing the crumbled mountain roads on the hillside, which was a really cool visual.

Currently installing Humankind because Steam did a $10 sale. Took a look at Super Mega Baseball 3 on PS4, but evidently the demo is just the title screen. I'm in a serious baseball mood and wanted to fart around a bit. Still debating EA Play so I can try The Show. Tonight's just been Sinatra & the Mills Brothers while I piddle around in TS4..

Jedi: Survivor comes out today. I'll be playing when I get back. :D

I've also been playing lots of Mount & Blade: Bannerlord and an indie sci-fi game called Opus: Echo of Starsong, which is surprisingly engaging.

I played Bannerlord when it first came out, and it seemed to have potential, but was kinda bare-bones in terms of content, and the updates, though relatively frequent, didn't seem to be fleshing it out that much. How is it these days?

It's definitely playable, though the later campaign stuff (the conspiracy in general) is rather lacking so far.

The Blackrock storymode Episode had already-made cans of gunpowder available... I think I'm spoiled.

I want to get the Faithful Cartographer achievement, but I the thought of slogging through a Pilgrim or Voyager run to get it seems... boring :sad: Oh Well...
Yeah, don't do that at less than Stalker. I agree, it would be boring. It's kind of a grind, even at Stalker. I got Faithful Cartographer in about 200 days, although I was rushing more than I needed to. Once I got it, I kind of wished I'd taken more time. Today, I'd imagine you could get Faithful Cartographer, Will to Live, and Skilled Survivor on the same run. If you spent an average of 5-6 weeks on each of the major zones, that's your 500 days. I'd imagine you'd get most of the skills up to 5 just by using them along the way. Gunsmithing would be the only one that would require any particular sense of purpose. I'm thinking of going for Will to Live and Skilled Survivor on my current run, neither of which I have yet, but I'm not even at 100 days, so that's a bit premature. Unfortunately, I don't think you could get Skilled Survivor at Interloper, because you could only raise your firearm skills by reading books.

I am trying to decide which of the minigames I'd like to go for. I already have "As the Dead Sleep" although I don't really remember doing it. I still haven't finished any of the others. The Demon Bear one is fun, but I haven't managed to finish it yet. Darkwalker is also terrifyingly fun, but I failed to finish it at Halloween and I thought it disappeared after that until I noticed it again recently.
I don't think I've finished any of the minigames.

The Long Dark Stalker, day 46

I finally made it to the Forsaken Airfield region... although not to the airfield itself yet... Whew! What a trek! :whew:

This is by far, the longest detour in the game to get to one region, and they really made it so you have a huge incentive to stay out there once you get there. It takes so freaking long to get there... through 2 full transition regions

Shame on you @EgonSpengler for scaring me like that BTW... there was no Wendingo and it was actually a very pleasant, albeit ridiculously long journey with mostly nice weather
I really liked the journey and the transition zones. I spent 3 or 4 days hanging around the train depot, hunting, sewing, and reading books.

and zero... yes ZERO wolves. I encountered no wolves whatsoever between the Broken Railroad bridge and where I ended up... the trailer in Forsaken Airfield. I don't know if that's luck or a bug, but it was a pretty uneventful journey...
On my way through, I saw a wolf at the 3 red train cars and another at the waterfall, after you go down the really long set of stairs onto the frozen river.

except for the beginning... When I left the Maintenance Shed in Broken Railroad, there were FOUR wolves waiting for me, all line up in a row, like they had read these threads and knew where I was headed. I kept having to run back into the side-shack to get them to disengage. This dance wne on all morning until I was finally able to scatter them enough to make a run for it, then one of them stalked me all the way to the Broken Bridge. Pretty nerve-wracking.

I don't know if there is a connection, but all those wolves I killed making it back to the shed were out there waiting to be skinned in various places around the Maintenance Yard, crows and all, but I just left them and made for the bridge. So I am wondering if between avoiding the four active wolves and the 4 dead wolf corpses, if I glitched the game into not creating anymore wolves for a while? :think:
That's not a glitch. The timer on animal respawns starts when the carcass despawns. If you want to deliberately delay the respawn of an animal you've just killed, but you want to harvest it, you can leave 1 gut or a little bit of meat so the carcass hangs around for a few days. One of the things I like about Interloper is that the animal respawn takes longer, so after you clear an area of predators, you actually have some time to hang out there unmolested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom