What war(s) would you like to see?

Don't see why not.

The Soviet Union and Japan did fight during the WWII era. Several times, actually. The Battle of Lake Khasan was a hard-fought Soviet victory. The Battle of Khalkin Gol was an absolute Soviet arse-raping of Japan in 1939. Finally, the Soviet Union basically killed the Imperial Japanese Empire with it's surprise invasion of Manchuria

I was aware of these, I was mostly pondering what full Japanese entry against the Soviets would lead too or a full scale war between the Soviets and Japanese in the 30s or 40s (without German invasion).

Turkey, Spain and Portugal would undergo some rather radical regime change after the war. Spain wasn't even in a position to take Gibraltar, Turkey didn't declare war on Germany until 1945, and Portugal allowed the British to use their offshore islands as naval bases. They knew who was coming out on top, and none of them were in a position to assist either side anyway. Spain was pretty much bankrupt.

As for Portugal, Spain and Turkey, I was again just pondering how more neutral moderate powers joining Germany would affect them. I've read Spain would have just been a 2nd Italy and hindered the actual war effort had they joined.

The Habsburgs would have little trouble against the Ottomans really, but only because of local independence movements assisting them. Those same movements were just as likely to stab the Austrians in the back immediately after the Turks were gone, however. Once the Young Turks were in charge, after the Balkan Wars, it's a different story. The Turks were no longer fighting for empire, they were fighting for survival as a nation-state. They were highly motivated, and fought quite well with modern German technology. Since neither nation had a border with the other, it's pretty much moot. They both had negligible naval capacity.

I suppose to make this slightly more interesting we could push it back 25ish years to when they did share some borders.

Since these are entirely hypothetical, I am more curious about how theses situations could progress once they have happened and not so much how they came to be.

I suppose to make this slightly more interesting we could push it back 25ish years to when they did share some borders.
Austria-Hungary wins, but Krum gets the Snitch they don't actually get a whole helluva lot out of it. 1889 is right before the pre-1897 Ottoman military expansion and it's a situation in which the Habsburgs would have their Serb client state on their side. At most they might just get to formalize an annexation of Novi Pazar and Bosnia while Serbia and probably Greece run away with a big chunk of Macedonia. At the same time, due to the terms of the renewed Triple Alliance from the 1887 negotiations, Italy will probably demand control of part of Albania and Libya, even if they don't participate in the war (they probably would).

I assume the outbreak of war would have to do with an extension of Russian influence in some way into the Ottoman Empire, because per the 1887 Second Mediterranean Agreement the Austrians, British, and Italians undertook to maintain the territorial and economic status quo in the Ottoman Empire unless in the event of the extension of interests into the area by a third party, in which case "the three powers would consider themselves justified in provisionally occupying Turkish territory in order to safeguard Turkish independence." This, of course, would probably end up resulting in war. The Royal Navy blockades Constantinople and Anglo-Egyptian troops invade Palestine; Italians enter Albania and possibly southwest Anatolia; Greek and Serbian rebellions ignite in the Aegean and Macedonia; Austrian troops drive south posing as some sort of liberators. All great fun. The rump of an Ottoman Empire that continued to exist probably would be in a worse shape than it was in post-Balkan Wars, but not by much...but the parts that will be getting dismembered won't be going to the Austrians, by and large.

One assumes that Russia would be rather leery of engaging in actual combat against such a formidable combination.

Britain Vs France assuming no use of nukes. Any ideas? I think Brits would JUST about clinch it but with a LOT of death on both sides.

Ireland reclaiming North Ireland, it just doesn't seem right for the UK to have it
"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" If they didn't feel guilty it would just be the United Kingdom of Great Britian!

Andorra vs Liechtenstein http://www.theonion.com/content/news/liechtenstein_andorra_forced_to
HELSINKI—Members of the Group of Eight, the forum for the world's most powerful industrialized nations, held a special session Tuesday to discuss how best to prod the European microstates of Lichtenstein and Andorra into fighting.

Most of western Europe agrees the two nations seriously need to sack it up and brawl.
The G8's proposal, which seeks to pit the small, landlocked principalities against each other in military combat, was reportedly drafted after the leaders of the eight nations had grown bored with their recent negotiations over international energy tariffs.

"After much careful deliberation, we have come to the consensus that the nations of Liechtenstein and Andorra need to just man up and fight, " said U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown during an afternoon recess. "All of the bigger countries want them to, and everyone agrees at this point that it would be quite lame if they didn't. Therefore, I would advise Liechtenstein and Andorra to grow some balls already and get on with it."

"Seriously," Brown added. "Fight."

According to French president Nicolas Sarkozy, the group has scheduled the Liechtenstein-Andorra military conflict for tomorrow afternoon at 4 p.m. sharp, provided that neither country "pusses out." Sarkozy also assured reporters that, if Liechtenstein and Andorra were to engage each other in battle, they would almost certainly find themselves in improved diplomatic relations with members of the G8 for years to come.

"Oh, we will definitely think they are cooler if they launch a few precision strikes, for sure," said Sarkozy, whose country directed $30 million in funds to the construction of special observation towers from which to view the event. "But they do not really have a choice, you see. They must go through with this, because everybody is going to be watching and they wouldn't want to look like sissies in front of the whole world, now would they?"

In an attempt to encourage the two meek nations into conflict, the United States Department of Defense has vowed to send them 20,000 M16 assault rifles by Thursday, said laughing Pentagon officials, who were reportedly unsure if the small, peaceful republics "even had tanks."

"This is going to be so hilarious," said President Barack Obama, who plans to take time away from health care negotiations to oversee the distribution of heavily armored mobilized units to the citizens of Liechtenstein and Andorra. "Once they get into it, they're going to go nuts. They're just going to totally go off on each other."

"I cannot wait," he added.

Russia, Italy and Germany have all pledged the ground and logistical support needed to facilitate an "amazing throw-down." German chancellor Angela Merkel explained, however, that the military aid did not come without strings attached.

"They have to do it for real, though; they can't just declare a cease-fire after 20 minutes," Merkel said. "And no cyberwars either. We want real bullets, real people. We'll know if they're just circling around each other pretending to fight."

"Come on! Do it! Do it! Do it!" added Spanish president José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero from behind Merkel, as he pumped his fist wildly in the air. "Do it!"

The G8 has provoked numerous international incidents in the past. In 1994, then-Japanese Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama forced the leaders of San Marino and Monaco to run a "naked mile" behind the United Nations building. And in 2000, Russia's Vladimir Putin delighted his fellow world leaders by repeatedly asking the president of Chechnya, "Why are you bombing yourself? Why are you bombing yourself?" during a prolonged bombardment of the capital, Grozny.

In a final effort to ensure that the proposed confrontation between Liechtenstein and Andorra commenced tomorrow afternoon "without a hitch," Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper held a press conference intended to persuade the two countries.

"F***ing just fight already!" Harper said. "Fight! Fiiiight! Fiiiiiiight!"

At press time, 50,000 Andorran troops had amassed along the Rhine valley following CIA intelligence indicating that Liechtenstein had referred to the principality as "Fagdorra."

Poland vs. Central Europe

Loved the Onion article. I'd like to see Haiti vs. Dominican Republic. The Southern Hemisphere hasn't had enough wars, I think. I'd like to see Australia vs. New Zealand, or some South American war.

South America has had plenty of wars. The Chaco war was less than a hundred years ago.

I know there have been some wars there, but I was thinking a more all out war, Something like Brazil, Uraguay, Paraguay, Suriname, and French Guiana Against The rest of South America. For the record, I have no idea how the alliances would break out, I was just naming off countries.
I think it would be interesting to see how something like that would fall out and how the rest of the world would handle it.

How about...

ALEXANDER vs. CHINA!!!oneoneoneone
Be more entertaining if it were just Alexander. No troops or anything, just him in a chariot. If he wants to impress us, and claim to be some great conqueror, let's see if he can pull that off.

Brazil vs Venezuela, Bolivia, Equador and Cuba. Time for the RAPE!!

France vs Britain TODAY - Who would win, I wonder?

Germany vs Great Britain.

I think that if Germany and Great Britain would be again involved in a war against each other ... the UK would still manage to defeat Germany... just because of the same reason ... British naval capabilities are still nowadays still overwhelming compare to those of Germany.

What do you think ?

Germany vs Great Britain.

I think that if Germany and Great Britain would be again involved in a war against each other ... the UK would still manage to defeat Germany... just because of the same reason ... British naval capabilities are still nowadays still overwhelming compare to those of Germany.

What do you think ?
Assuming no allies, yep. Even though Germany's economy is stronger, she simply doesn't have the military might. A few years of preparation and she'd win, but not now. Also, France beats Britain under the same conditions, because the French military outclasses the British.

All due support for the destruction of Pakistan(as a country, for some reason, nobody knows the difference between a country itself and it's people anymore...), anyway. Pakistan should be part of the New Raj.

But that would also mean Britain vs India,

Wars are generally pretty horrible and I personally wouldn't support any war other than for self-defense by any nation.

Top Bottom