Which city sites deserve better representation in RFC?

Here's a picture of the British City Name map from CityNameManager.py

You can also view it by going into the python folder and opening with Excel.

I don't know how the city naming mechanism works. I've tried to modify CityNameManager.py before (I want to replace Popham with Portland, Maine), but each time I've done it I've broken the entire mechanism. Maybe someone with more expertise can share how to modify the city name maps.

Attachments

• Albany.zip
    101 KB · Views: 70
I don't know how the city naming mechanism works. I've tried to modify CityNameManager.py before (I want to replace Popham with Portland, Maine), but each time I've done it I've broken the entire mechanism. Maybe someone with more expertise can share how to modify the city name maps.
I've played around with CityNameManager.py a bit (modifying the German/French/Dutch border area). Most important to know is that there are to ways on naming: naming on founding and naming on conquest/flip.

Naming on founding is realized by the two-dimensional arrays you seem to have already noticed. If you want Popham to be Portland when the English found it, simply replace Popham with Portland (it's that easy) in the map after #English. Mind that "Portland, Maine" is not possible (without escaping) because it would be interpreted as two entries.

Naming on conquest/flip is realized by the long if-blocks after the maps. So if you want the city to be renamed from Popham to Portland when America takes control of it, you must add
Code:
                        elif sName == 'Popham':
                                city.setName('Portland', False)
to the block that begins with "elif(iNewOwner == iAmerica):".

If you don't mess with the rest of the code and make sure the whitespaces (indentations) are the same as the existing code, it should work.

Cleveland metropolitan area population: 2,250,871
Albany metropolitan area population: 1,118,095

Thank you, I was just going to defend the Greater Cleveland Metropolitan area, the Cleveland Orchestra, and its Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame (if not its flaming Cuyahoga river in the 1970's). :D

I think Hawaii should be all plains hills except for the northern mountain, and it should have sugar somewhere and fish.

I'm really not sure about Hawaii. Think about it, the whole Caribbean is represented by 5 islands with one sugar and spice each. Given the Caribbean's historical importance, a Hawaii being as valuable as half of the Caribbean seems odd to me.

Well, Hawaii should at least be able to support a large population because it's one of the fastest growing areas in the US.

Well, Hawaii should at least be able to support a large population because it's one of the fastest growing areas in the US.
It grows, but does it have a large population? In the modern era, cities of size <10 can have populations >1,000,000 - which is more or less the population on the entire island, let alone in Honolulu or Pearl Harbor individually.

Now considering the scale of the map in RFC, I don't think Hawaii can be anything other than a single tile island like it is currently. It could have sugar I guess, but you'd have to settle on top of it :)

Quick comparison: Havana has a population of over 2 million, which is more than the entire state of Hawaii.

It seems like Hawaii is barren, though. And Leoreth do you have a link to the mod in your sig?

Looking at the CityNameManager.py file it appears both Albany, NY and Fort Albany are on the British map. Albany, NY is 1E or 1N of the western tile for New York City. The map for America replaces Albany with Cleavland or Buffalo respectively, which makes sense considering that those cities have grown much more since the eighteenth century than Albany, New York.

After checking, I came to the conclusion that Cleavland is horrible choice for a "city". Why? It's a freaking village! My own town is larger than Cleavland, for Christ's sake, let alone Albany! If you really want to rename the 1N Albany tile to a real city that grew under America, why not Syracuse. Granted, it's in the Great Lakes region, but the eastern part of New York is covered by Buffalo, which makes sense, and there really isn't a tile to represent the Finger Lakes. I still think that 1N of New York should stay Albany when acquired by America.

Cleveland is a better choice than Albany, and whilst Syracuse is better still, it is just too far imo.

Once and for all, Cleveland (not Cleavland) is a much better city in terms of representing the manufacturing power of the US (it was home to many car companies, John D Rockefeller of Standard Oil made his fortune there no less, and it was 5th in terms of population in 1900). The Cleveland Orchestra is one of the world class orchestras that the US has (including NY, Philly, SF, and many would say that under George Szell it was THE best). Albany, on the other hand, is more of historic significance rather than production which typifies the Midwest.

Many people in the world know of Cleveland because of its orchestra, while I would dare you to have a non-US citizen name Albany among the 5 US cities that have good orchestras, let alone who knows Albany is the state capitol of NY ("It's not New York?").

Seems to me everyone is being a little too nativist (that might not be the best word, but its the best I can think of right now). Albany is not considered to be that important of a city in the US. New York, Philadelphia, Boston, D.C., and Baltimore are the major metro areas of the NE US. Albany has a comparable population to Green Bay, Wisconsin, and even Americans wouldn't know where that is if it didn't have an NFL team. I live in Wisconsin, but the capital city (Madison) with a population <230K has no place in this game.

That said, I agree with the proposals for Tapei, Polynesia, C. Asia, Tripoli, Nigeria, Colombo, Mumbai, and Kolkata (if you jam the area with resources, or even turn the Ganges delta into floodplains with grassland it might be do-able). Independent Kiev (and Novgorod) are crucial, but it would be better if they didn't flip to Russia and could hold out from being conquered for a few centuries. I also like Wien, but I put it on the coal resource; it still allows Berlin and Frankfurt to grow, but unfortunately Hungary becomes rather useless. The RFCC mod places Tisfun (Persian Cteisphon) on the Mesopotamian stone in the 600 AD start which becomes Baghdad when conquered by the Arabs. I also usually WB Independent Edinburgh 1 tile SE of Inverness in lieu of the latter, placing the northernmost fish 1 tile E and found Glasgow 2 tiles W of Edinburgh.

Damascus can be a good location even with Baghdad on the Tigris (where it should be). It gets two flood plains and I believe a sheep. You can also work the fish by Jeruselem. An Arab world with Cairo, Damascus, and Baghdad as major centers is key for realism. Think that covers my thoughts on the matter....sorry for my longwindedness!

Not my words, but what city actually has a clinic named after it that attracts patient-tourists from Saudi Arabia? (Don't say Mayo because it's in Rochester, NY)
The Cleveland Clinic (formally known as the Cleveland Clinic Foundation) is a multispecialty academic medical center located in Cleveland, Ohio, United States. The Cleveland Clinic is currently regarded as one of the top 4 hospitals in the United States. The Cleveland Clinic was established in 1921 by four physicians for the purpose of providing patient care, research, and medical education in an ideal medical setting. One of the largest private medical centers in the world, the Cleveland Clinic saw more than 2,800,000 patient visits in 2005, with almost 70,000 hospital admissions.[2] Patients arrive at the Cleveland Clinic from all 50 states and more than 100 nations. The Cleveland Clinic's approximately 1,700 salaried staff physicians[3] represent 120 medical specialties and subspecialties[4]. The Cleveland Clinic was ranked number one in America for cardiac care from 1994 to 2009.[5]

Oh, you said Cleveland, Ohio. I thought we were talking about Cleveland, New York, because it was to my knowledge that the tile wasn't even remotely near Ohio. I guess that the "Cleveland" 1N of New York is actually supposed to represent a city that isn't the state itself, or even remotely located near the border of the state the city actually is.

My fault, I didn't know.

Well, sorry, I thought you were talking about the city which should be 1SW of Toronto (i.e. 1N of the stone). I would actually vote for Albany at your location (1N of NY) and Buffalo 1NW of NY, but who would be stupid enough to build a city just off the coast and all those fisheries?:lol:

And Leoreth do you have a link to the mod in your sig?
If there already was a link to this mod, it would've been in my sig :p
The mod still isn't done yet, but I'm finished with all minor features (except an incorporation of Gaius Octavius' civ-specific great people mod, which sadly seems to not be available anymore) and think I know enough to introduce the new civs. There's still an annoying bug to be killed though, and it drives me crazy not to know where it comes from. :(

But it's motivating that someone's interested in it :)

Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo are huge cities in real life but have bad land in RFC. Both cities have 10 million+ people but Sao Paulo has 1 crab and Rio has 1 corn.

Top Bottom