[GS] Which civ will you play first in GS?

Which Civ will you play first when GS comes out?

• Hungary

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • Maori

Votes: 65 17.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 38 10.0%
  • Inca

Votes: 64 16.8%
  • Mali

Votes: 37 9.7%
  • Sweden

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Eleanor (possible 2 civ choice?)

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Phoenicia

Votes: 32 8.4%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Other civ (vanilla, dlc, or rise and fall civ- please specify)

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • I will not be purchasing GS on release

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Random option

Votes: 27 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was considering starting with England under Eleanor to have some new with some old, but I like her model too much.

So first game will be with Victoria, obviously with French Eleanor and the other 8 new civs as opponents on a 10-player map.

I'm assuming both Eleanors can't be in the same game?

I will also be playing on a Large map, as French Eleanor (Aliénor? Freleanor? :lol:) and against the other new leaders. But not English Eleanor, sadly, unless she can join against her doppelganger.

Hm they do say "no duplicate leaders"... but the fact that they have two avatars might be justification to break the rule this one time.

I'm assuming both Eleanors can't be in the same game?

I will also be playing on a Large map, as French Eleanor (Aliénor? Freleanor? :lol:) and against the other new leaders. But not English Eleanor, sadly, unless she can join against her doppelganger.

Calling the French Eleonor "Aliénor" could be used and make misunderstanding less happening.

I'm going to Mali, I think. I'm one of the players which Venice was there favourite civ in Civ5, so having a civ relying on gold will be my go. I wanted to try some new civ with unique GP, and it was Mali or Maori. For the other ones, it's pretty much the same (expand, grow, build and such). So, between Mali and Maori, my Dwarf sense is crying "GOLD!"
My first play will probably be against my boyfriend playing Dido.
Second playthrough, probably Aliénor. CdM is for me the only thing preventing me playing France (I don't like the character and don't use much espionnage) so having Aliénor is such a relief for me.
Maybe try an old civ that has been changed to see what's new (China, I think). I wanted to do this first, by I'm too hype about Mali to let it go.

Hm they do say "no duplicate leaders"... but the fact that they have two avatars might be justification to break the rule this one time.
Who's "they"? :mischief:
You can just uncheck the option on the advanced startup screen. :D I've played with duplicates a handful of times for various reasons.

I was thinking I'd go with an old civ to get used to the new mechanics, and I think I'll stick with that, but make it France led by Eleanor. Hopefully her achievement won't conflict with building an intelligence agency as France (one of the few non-GS achievements I have left).

Not sure about map settings and difficulty. I'll stick with standard speed, no mods, for this first GS game. Probably king? Probably go for science as I haven't done that in a while and it will ensure I get to the future era.

Inca for me. Its the only civ in this bunch that has an implementation I actually like.

Mali is a distant second, but seems too obviously good, getting lots of bonuses for the resource that already wins games.

Mauri seem like a pointless gimmick civ, and the rest are entirely too bland.

I'll start with the two that I believe will have the most interesting gameplay changes, and are the most exciting to me, the MaMas - Maori and Mali.

After that I'll probably try the Inca - there's no real science civ in the expansion, might as well try the science victory with them (a lot of mountains and extra production).

The rest I'm not sure. Probably will go with Hungary or the Ottomans for some domination.

Dido and Eleanor I'll leave for last, maybe they'll balance their abilities with a patch.

Last edited:
Games in order:
  1. Phoenicia - Ancient Start, Continents, everything default. I'll play against Ancient/Classical opponents. I have no intention to finish the game; I just want to see how the new features play.
  2. Egypt - Disasters turned way up. Again, the plan is to explore the features and to see what happens.
  3. Eleanor - Medieval start with England. Play around with World Congress. Play around with resources. I probably won't finish.
  4. Kupe - This is the first game I intended to really play. Hopefully I'll be used to the new governors and features by this point.

I am waiting to see what changes are made to the vanilla civs (what’s up, Egypt and Russia?), but I think my first game will be with the Ottomans or the Phoenicians, just to dip my toes in some of the new while still playing a relatively traditional game.

I would like to see how the Inca and Mali work mechanics-wise, and Hungary and Eleanor down the road. Sweden and Canada eventually, and the Maori I will try once, though I don’t think they’ll be my bag.

Also, while I don’t normally play the scenarios, I am intrigued by the Dark Ages. It looks fun, and I want to see the plague mechanics at work, in case they introduce them to the full game down the road.

I choose Inca.
Working mountain tiles and even passing through them... an old dream finally comes true.
And my favourite Civ6-"Youtuber" Writing Bull currently also plays his preview-let's-play with the Inca. I learn a lot from him.

I may have booked time off work just to play civ... I think I have a problem...

1. Canada. Probably the weakest civ in the expansion but I want to try out the diplo victory and I like the way it looks like they'll be forced to interact with emergencies etc...

2. Mali. My vote for the most fun civ. probably going to be my go to...

3. Maori. I want a better idea of the mechanics before I try them out. They are definitely unique

4. Phoenicia. How wide can I go challenge

5. Elaenor (France). I prefer her intersection with french abilities and this will pretty definitely be a pangaea map for the amusement factor.

6. Inca. Not super interested but they seem like a different civ.

7. Sweden. I don't think I'll like them as much as kongo for culture but I do like a culture victory... Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

...And I can't see myself playing the ottomans, hungary or eleanor as england. All three are just 'meh' to me...

After most of the reveals have now been made - I'm pretty sure that I'm going with Sweden first.

Sweden gives a lot of bonuses to one of my two favorite victory types (Culture, with Science being the other one) as well as bonuses to one of the main new GS game concepts (Diplomacy). It also strongly encourages wide play, which I much prefer. I think that Sweden will fit well into my normal play style, rewarding me for things that I already do - and encouraging me to focus even more heavily on some of them.

While I think that I might like Mali and Maori more. They are both certainly very interesting; however, they change a bit too much about the base game for me to start with them as my first Civ for GS.

Now that we've seen everyone, I have settled on my planned order of play:
  1. Sweden
  2. Eleanor (France, I think)
  3. Maori
  4. Mali
  5. Phoenicia
  6. Ottomans
  7. Inca
  8. Hungary
  9. Canada

Eleanor may fall down the list a few spots, depending on how quickly I want to dive into Maori and Mali. Those are the two I am looking forward to the most, but I want to let my knowledge of the expansion build a bit before I tackle them. On the other hand, I think Maori is the most likely to get nerfed by an early patch - so I may want to get to them before that happens.

Valentines plans with the wife have been moved up to this weekend. :love:
I am taking off work on the 15th.
My office is closed on the 18th.
:eekdance:

Note to self, remember to eat and shower a few times between the 14th and the 19th.

Random option, but I have the right of first refusal. Also, since the first game or two (or three!) will be learning experiences, I'll be quick to DNF and try my luck with another civ in the next game. That being said, some of my most memorable games have been with early-empire civs with early UUs, so, if I had to pick, then probably Phoenicia.

1. Inca (going for a Science Victory against Korea? Who knows!)
2. Mali (want to see if money really buys happiness)
2. Maori (play with all the naval civs and see what trouble I get into)
4. Sweden (culture much)
5. Phoenecia (dot the earth much)
7. Eleanor-France (Wonders galore and see her particular twist in action)
8. Ottomans (let myself go into domination style and conquer the world. I’m afraid I might not return the same. Really scared!)
9. Hungary (district placement and see if I still got some domination spirit in me)
10. Eleanor-England (just figure out an angle with her)

Disclaimer: anything above could change depending on the time of day, pure adrenaline, rebelliousness, insecurity or feeling overwhelmed, etc. Even random and old favorites could be a possibility.

I like defensive civs, like australia and china, so I'm probably going to like the Incas, with their yield bonuses from settling in areas shielded by mountains. Apart from that, none of the new civs look any interesting to me, so I'm also gonna try Norway and see if the improved coastal raiding and naval trade makes them more fun and to play.

Macedon – Huge map, deity. Acclimate to new civics/techs/governor flow. Completely ignore new environment and world congress mechanics. Check results.

Scythia – Huge map, deity. Further familiarize myself with flow of civics/techs/governors. Determine ability of light cavalry gap units to continue warring prior to cavalry upgrade. Modify play (if necessary) based on new mechanics learned from Macedonian game.

Begin to with play new civs in the mix…

Sweden
Maori
Eleanor (France)
Canada

As to the rest, unsure.
Inca?
Ottomans?
Mali?
Phoenicia?
Hungary?

Disclaimer: This is just as likely as not to change as early as tomorrow.

Top Bottom