[GS] Which civ will you play first in GS?

Which Civ will you play first when GS comes out?

• Hungary

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • Maori

Votes: 65 17.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 38 10.0%
  • Inca

Votes: 64 16.8%
  • Mali

Votes: 37 9.7%
  • Sweden

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Eleanor (possible 2 civ choice?)

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Phoenicia

Votes: 32 8.4%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Other civ (vanilla, dlc, or rise and fall civ- please specify)

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • I will not be purchasing GS on release

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Random option

Votes: 27 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How many Canadians can possibly play civ? :) Although given how cold it is up there right now, they probably have nothing else better to do.

I'm really surprised the Ottomans aren't in the top 3 considering how hotly anticipated they were.

I'm really surprised the Ottomans aren't in the top 3 considering how hotly anticipated they were.
I am sure they would be number 1 if this poll was on YouTube.

After watching Marbozir's Hungary video I feel I have to move them up a bit just to play them before they get nerfed. Yeah it seems lame playing an overpowered civ, but it was kind of fun to watch, and it would be fun to do once. Although there's the possibility they won't get nerfed at all. While what he did in that stream was ridiculously powerful, it does require luck of actually meeting city states first. No other civ can get that many swordsmen that fast.

1: Mali
2: Hungary
3: Maori
4: Inca
5: Phoenicia
6: Ottomans
7. Sweden
8. Eleanor France
9. Canada
10. Germany: I want to put a factory/coal plant in every single city and watch the world burn. :popcorn:
11. Georgia- yes Georgia, will be going for a city-state suzerain diplomatic victory with them.
12: USA
13: China
14: Egypt

For me it will probably go like this:

1. Hungary (for obvious reasons :p)
2. Inca
3. Maori
4. Mali
5. Sweden
6. Ottomans
7. Phoenicia
8. Canada
9. Eleanor

Choose whatever loser you like, but I'll start as Russia.
I'll send all my young writers to hang around your borders, hands in pockets and acting surly.
Then, they'll go home and inspire the next young generation, alternative bands who will storm through your so-called "civilization". They'll outrage your parents, and their fans will scrawl horrible things about your auntie on your palace walls.

Console yourself with the warm glow of rectitude for saving that clump of trees for your "future generations"? :p

peterwashere.jpg

Last edited:
Six weeks later I'm still leaning towards Inca. Phoenecia looks pretty promising for my second game though.

I changed my vote from Mali to Phoenicia. I think Phoenicia will be very powerful given the boost to sea trade. Plus they get extra trade routes.

Mali is powerful too but I play for Religious Victory on Deity and I am worried their production handicap will cause me to lose out on the GP race and not build my holy site / shrine on time.

Maori is super exciting and I can see why it's #1 - but again for RV purposes I have a feeling they'll suck coz all those precious early turns wasted sailing around vs. building the holy site

Inca will be my 4th game.. rest I am not as excited about

By order of preference, I will probably go with something like:

1. Eleanor of England
2. Eleanor of France
3. Phoenicia
4. Mali
5. Sweden
6. Hungary
7. Ottomans
8. Canada
9. Inca
10. Maori

Inca!!
They are the most all rounded new civ. Good way to get a feeling for the new stuff. I also like internal trade routes for that sweet early game growth.

Frankly, I am surprised that more people are not going for Eleanor. Even putting aside my love for the historical character, she sounds like an ideal choice for the first game - you get to learn all the new systems and things, while playing a familiar civilization but with a different leader.
Yeah, that's the main reason I figured I would play as Eleanor first even before she was revealed. I started with a new Civ straight away in R&F and regretted it - and GS is going to change up the existing game even more.

Only downside of playing as Eleanor is you don't get to look at her I guess ;)

Top Bottom