Which civs would you like to see in a second round of passes?

Which civs would you like to see in a second round of passes?

• Argentina

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Ashanti

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Assyria

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Austria

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Berbers

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Bohemia

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Bulgaria

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Burma

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Cherokee

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Goths

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Guarani

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Haida

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Haiti

• Hawaii

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Hittites

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Italy (or other Italian representation)

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Ireland

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • Madagascar

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Morocco

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Muisca

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Navajo

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Nepal

• Palmyra

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Romania

• Siam

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Swahili

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Tonga

• Zapotec

• Other. Which one?

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters
And then I threw in the Goths even though we can't cram them into modern nationalism like we could Gaul.
I think you have some Gothic sentiments in Sweden and Crimea. And, of course, mall goths. :mischief:

Argentina is a must, due to inclusion of Gran Colombia, as Argentina is another important modern nation in South America, much like Brazil and Gran Colombia are.
Another must in South America is Guarani or Tupi, as together with Inca and Mapuche are the trinity of Native American civilizations at South America.
Berber and/or Morocco is a must on Africa continent, as important as Carthage, Egypt, Congo, Mali, Zulu and Ethiopia.
Haiti or Cuba is good for filling those islands at Central America.
Iroquois or Haino or Navajo is another Native American civilization at North America, so why not?

Last edited:
Argentina is a must, due to inclusion of Gran Colombia, as Argentina is another important modern nation in South America, much like Brazil and Gran Colombia are.
Another must in South America is Guarani or Tupi, as together with Inca and Mapuche are the trinity of Native American civilizations at South America.
Berber and/or Morocco is a must on Africa continent, as important as Carthage, Egypt, Congo, Mali, Zulu and Ethiopia.
Haiti or Cuba is good for filling those islands at Central America.
Iroquois or Haino or Navajo is another Native American civilization at North America, so why not?
I totally agree with you, is needed more americans and africans.

I just want the world map to have less gaping, open space in it.

No continent is going to get all the new tags, or even half of them, in a hypothetical final pass. So suggestions with 8 american civs or 5 European ones are prety unlikely.

After the original batch of DLC, pretty much every single expansion can be broken down as follow:
2 European Civilization : Gaul/Portugal (NFP), Sweden/Hungary (GS), Netherland/Scotland (RF)
1 Eurasian Civilization (as in, stradling the border between Europe and Asia): Byzantium (NFP), Ottoman (GS), Georgia (RF)
2 Asia-Pacific Civilizations: Vietnam/Babylon (NFP), Phoenicia/Maori (GS), Mongolian/Korean (RF)
2 American Civilizations (1 North, 1 South): Gran Colombia/Maya (NFP), Canada/Inca (GS), Cree/Mapuche (RF)
1 African (Subsaharan) Civilization: Ethiopia (NFP), Mali (GS), Zulu (RF)

I'd assume a similar pattern for an hypothetical final expansion, with the only change I'll make being replacing the Eurasian Civilization with an Eurafrican one. So 2 European, one Eurafrican, 2 Asia-Pacific, 2 American and 1 Subsaharan African. With that breakdown in mind, my list would be:

Italy, Goths, Berbers (including Berber Al-Andalus), Philistine OR Hittites, Siam, Iroquois, Guarani, Swahili.

Italy is pretty much the only choice left for a Marquee European civilization to get players attention. The Balkan and Central-Eastern European options that are left, except Austria, just lack the attraction power to work here. One of the two has to be in, and because I have another idea for Maria Theresa, Italy gets the nod.

With a fairly mid-to-late-game centered civilization, I want my second European spot to be earlier in the game (much as with Portugal and Gaul). And let's face it: the people who conquered much of the Western Roman Empire probably have a strong claim here. In fact, it's surprising they have never been in civilization before. They're also another household name, though not quite the brand power of a Austria or Germany, and a civilization that is not too strongly associated with any modern European nation.

The Berbers are a long standing hole on the map, and the fact that we've never had a civilization tapping the Al-Andalus part of Muslim history is also a hole that I would like to see filled. Including them as a Morocco-Al Andalus Civilization makes them the kind-of-European-but-not civilization of choice, much like the Ottomans, Byzantines and Georgians.

Asia's really the hard one for me here. Sure, Siam is an obvious choice, but it's also somewhat of a boring choice - returning from Civ V to crowd in on the South East Asian civs (Vietnam (Yes, culturally East, but geographically Southeast) and Khmer). Assyria would likewise be a returner crowding out the already existing Mesopotamian choices. I'd have loved a Silk Road cilvilization, but Mongolian Kublai happened. And what would probably be my two runaway leaders for Asia - well-known, instantly recognizable, fairly unique history, notable world impact) are both politically untenable. The safe choice kind of has to be it.

For the second Asian slot, if the Hittites can be done (language wise) I would love them, if not, I can rally to the suggestion of the Phillistines that others have made already.

In the Americas, the Guarani are both a geographic and historical hole that need to be taken care of, an important civilization, and (as we discussed in the past) arguably the only pre-Colmbian civilization whose language is still predominant in a modern American country (not even Nahuatl or Quechua come close to that). With a brand new Civilization in the South, bringing back a safe classic for the North make sense, and the Iroquois should probably be a series regular in any event.

I hesitated on Swahili for Africa because their design space overlaps with Portugal...well, a lot. But the problem is, most remaining candidates in Subsaharan Africa don't have particularly strong design space, or, if they do have one, have a strong overlap with existing civilization. With that in mind, the Swahili are the most gaping hole on the map, and they get to be the pick.

And Maria Theresa, of course, get to be our Alt Leader, for Germany since Civ 6 Germany is clearly HRE-centric.

Last edited:
With that breakdown in mind, my list would be: Italy, Goths, Berbers (including Berber Al-Andalus), Philistine OR Hittites, Siam, Iroquois, Guarani, Swahili...
Maybe an Afroamerican civilization as Haiti could come next
I'll make being replacing the Eurasian Civilization with an Eurafrican

When I speak of Eurasian or Eurafrican civilization, I speak of civilization that existed on the border between those two continents - civilizations from around the Bosphorus, the Caucasus, the Isthmus of Suez/Red Sea or the Straits of Gibralatar, for example. Not civilizations founded by European or African people on a completely different continent.

I'm not counting Canada, or Australia, or America, or Gran Colombia, or Brazil - that sort of post-colonial (including post-colonial slave revolution) civilization - as intercontinental civilizations. They're not, and neither is Haiti. If it were to get into the game, it would be in the North American slot - and while I am generally for the idea, the Iroquois are in my opinion higher priority at present,

Last edited:
if the Hittites can be done (language wise)
The Hittite language has been studies extensively because it's 1) the oldest attested Indo-European language and 2) revolutionized our understanding of Indo-European so it would be very doable.

I was hoping you would say that (in fact an earlier version of my post literally had "(Zaarin, please tell me I'm wrong)" in that spot).

Then yes, Hittites are definitely my choice for the second Asian civilization.

EDIT: And Wilusa need to be one of their city, of course. With an achievement called "Greeks Bearing Gifts" for capturing Wilusa as Greece using a horse-based unit.

Last edited:
The Hittite language has been studies extensively because it's 1) the oldest attested Indo-European language and 2) revolutionized our understanding of Indo-European so it would be very doable.
I wonder what are the chances for another Indo-Europeans that is Tocharians who were 2nd earliest after Anatolian to separate from PIE.
There location make them super interesting, & they were quite prominent player during antiquity & played important role in Xiongnu-Han engagement.

I wonder what are the chances for another Indo-Europeans that is Tocharians who were 2nd earliest after Anatolian to separate from PIE.
There location make them super interesting, & they were quite prominent player during antiquity & played important role in Xiongnu-Han engagement.
Virtually impossible: we know almost nothing about the people who spoke the Tocharian languages aside from the fact that Tocharian A speakers may have called themselves Kucheans, Tocharian B speakers may have called themselves Agnean, at the time of attestation Tocharian A was probably a liturgical language, and Tocharian C may or may not have existed. That's not much to build a civilization off of. It's a shame because I agree that they're a very compelling mystery.

I'm not counting Canada, or Australia, or America, or Gran Colombia, or Brazil - that sort of post-colonial (including post-colonial slave revolution) civilization - as intercontinental civilizations. They're not, and neither is Haiti. If it were to get into the game, it would be in the North American slot - and while I am generally for the idea, the Iroquois are in my opinion higher priority at present,
I did say if we were to get two possible civs from the Americas, I could quite easily see the both the Iroquois and Haiti getting in. I think there is enough wiggle room for a "Caribbean" civ to get in without it infringing on a spot for continental North America.

I did say if we were to get two possible civs from the Americas, I could quite easily see the both the Iroquois and Haiti getting in. I think there is enough wiggle room for a "Caribbean" civ to get in without it infringing on a spot for continental North America.
Amazing idea, everybody will be happy. Haiti is very needed and Iroquois too.

The Olmec-Xicalanca are still not Olmecs, Henri. They're still Maya who got mislabeled Olmec due to confusion in early colonial times.

Top Bottom