Which civs would you like to see in the possible next expansion?

I don't see any reason not to believe that leak. I mean the guys username was a play on words for the expansion title, he made MULTIPLE 100% correct predictions, and was banned today...all signs point to a legit leaker
That same guy who I am pretty darn sure was an insider also made a post saying that he thought a third expansion was likely. I feel like this is the most important ignored information from everything he posted. He made 9 posts, 7 of which were right, among the other two: one of was just sharing information from a false leaker (But not confirming or denying it) and then one was saying "I think we will get a third expansion because we are not getting all the civs we want." It seems he knew everything for the expansion months in advance, and hopefully kind of knew what the developers were talking about (If he wasn't one himself).

So according to him we should be getting a third expansion. I know Ed Beach in the stream was talking as if this might be the last expansion in the stream, but I don't think they put the nail on the coffin yet. I am still holding out hope.

I doubt they will do a third expansion given Ed's talk (earlier, pre-Rise and Fall) of a 3-year support timeline for Civ VI.

If the rumors about Canada, Hungary and Sweden are true (let alone Eleanor), then the second expansion was even more Europe/West-centric than expected. Ah well. At least we will get the Inca, Maori, and Mali.
It's only been about a month since the two year anniversary, however. :D

I'm a little disappointed by the new civs – still going for C-grade Eastern Euro civs over bigtime picks like Austria and Venice, and adding ANOTHER Anglo country, when regions like Western Africa are still seriously underrepresented. And still no Portugal

Hungary has a very distinct culture, while Austria is basically Germany. I would have found Austria an uninteresting pick, especially since we've seen it in Civ V. We've also seen Venice in Civ V. And Portugal isn't a must-see civ because we already have Brazil. Yes, you can question Brazil and say that Portugal should be included, but Brazil is the pulprit here, not Hungary.

Inca, Carthage, Ottoman, Byzantine, Mali, Phoenecian (although with Carthage that seems redundant), Portugal.
Perhaps another one from southern Asia, maybe a branch of the Chinese?
Berbers, possibly?

That same guy who I am pretty darn sure was an insider also made a post saying that he thought a third expansion was likely. I feel like this is the most important ignored information from everything he posted. He made 9 posts, 7 of which were right, among the other two: one of was just sharing information from a false leaker (But not confirming or denying it) and then one was saying "I think we will get a third expansion because we are not getting all the civs we want." It seems he knew everything for the expansion months in advance, and hopefully kind of knew what the developers were talking about (If he wasn't one himself).

So according to him we should be getting a third expansion. I know Ed Beach in the stream was talking as if this might be the last expansion in the stream, but I don't think they put the nail on the coffin yet. I am still holding out hope.

Yep I think at this point the leak is 100%correct and really hope the guy is right about a third expansion, I really want to see some civs coming back (Mayas and Babylon) and Italy and Vietnam to finally arrive to the franchise.

Hungary has a very distinct culture, while Austria is basically Germany. I would have found Austria an uninteresting pick, especially since we've seen it in Civ V. We've also seen Venice in Civ V. And Portugal isn't a must-see civ because we already have Brazil. Yes, you can question Brazil and say that Portugal should be included, but Brazil is the pulprit here, not Hungary.

Ergh ... you're kidding right. Saying Austria is basically Germany is pretty ignorant.

It seems way too early for anyone (even an insider) to know for certain about a third expansion but it does make me more hopeful:
- "AssemblingTyphoon" has been a reliable source on everything else, and says there will be a third expansion
- "Cool Gamer" (who posted the leak on the YT stream among other places) has the same list of Civs as "AssemblingTyphoon", and was right about all the gameplay information he leaked, and he also said there would be a third expansion

I'm not sure what gameplay mechanics they could feasibly add for a third expansion. Is it possible we might just get a sort of mini expansion adding new Civs and leaders without any new mechanics?

As far as mechanics they could add, I guess corporations, further development of spies, evolving governments, random events/quests....but it does seem all the blockbuster big features we expect of a Civ game are already in. While I would like to see additional civs in a third expansion, it seems even the reasons for insiders to expect a third expansion are speculative rather than based on insider information as such. The main reason to want a third expansion is the missing civs like Maya, Hittites/Assyria, Babylon, Portugal and Ethiopia, among others. Frankly I would rather they make Civ VII rather than a third expansion, and maybe the Maya and Ethiopia could be in the base game.

So if we assume the leaked list for Gathering Storms is right, this is what I would have for the third expansion:

1. Maya
2. Ethiopia
3. Vietnam/Burma
4. Italy
5. Portugal
6. Babylon
7. Byzantium
8. A Native American Civ
9. Alternate leader (Egypt? China? A leader shared by Rome and Byzantium? Hard to say...)

I think that would fill most of the "expected" gaps. Italy and Vietnam or Burma would tick the novelty box, as would potentially the Native American Civ. I don't know enough about NA history to suggest one, and the last two added across Civ V and VI - Shoshone and Cree - I had never considered.

Assuming that there are 8 new civilizations and 1 alternate leader, these are the civilizations and leaders that I would want in the expansion:

New Civilizations

Byzantines - Anna Dalassene
Ethiopia - Taytu Betul
Hittites - Puduhepa
Maori - Hongi Hika
Maya - Wak Chanil Ajaw
Ottomans - Selim I
Portugal - John II
Vietnam - Trung Trac and Trung Nhi

Alternate Leader

England - AEthelflaed

If there is a third expansion then these are the civs and leaders I would want in the 3rd expansion in addition to the ones I wanted in the 2nd expansion which is quoted above.

New Civalizations

Austria - Maximilian I
Carthage - Dido
Denmark - Margaret I
Inca - Topa Inca Yupanqui
Iroquois - Jigonhsasee
Matamba - Nzinga
Mughals - Nur Jahan
Sicily - Roger II

New Leader

Egypt - Hatshepsut

Also Austria has never been a major power in its own right. It was a part of the HRE then the Austro-Hungarian Empire. A civ based on Austria, a small German state, doesn't do justice to either of those entities. Until the 16th century Hungary was an independent kingdom and a major power in central Europe.

It seems way too early for anyone (even an insider) to know for certain about a third expansion but it does make me more hopeful:
- "AssemblingTyphoon" has been a reliable source on everything else, and says there will be a third expansion
- "Cool Gamer" (who posted the leak on the YT stream among other places) has the same list of Civs as "AssemblingTyphoon", and was right about all the gameplay information he leaked, and he also said there would be a third expansion

I'm not sure what gameplay mechanics they could feasibly add for a third expansion. Is it possible we might just get a sort of mini expansion adding new Civs and leaders without any new mechanics?

I think there are two possibilities for they leak a possible third expansio: First, both of them work inside Firaxis and are really happy with how Gathering Storm is, and tried to say about the possibility of a new expansion to make us put aside our criticism on the lacking civs to enjoy more all the new mechanics and civs that we are going to have now. Second, wich is the possibility that I actually believe, as the devs see the lacking civs and the potential market, they are actually cogitating another expansion...

I doubt even the insidiest of insiders know if there's going to be a third expansion yet. They still have no idea how well the second one will do.
Yeah... if the leakers actually have any insider info and aren't just getting their info from press builds/text to be translated, it's probably just the leftovers from the longlist of Civs that didn't make the cut this time.

So if we assume the leaked list for Gathering Storms is right, this is what I would have for the third expansion:

1. Maya
2. Ethiopia
3. Vietnam/Burma
4. Italy
5. Portugal
6. Babylon
7. Byzantium
8. A Native American Civ
9. Alternate leader (Egypt? China? A leader shared by Rome and Byzantium? Hard to say...)

I think that would fill most of the "expected" gaps. Italy and Vietnam or Burma would tick the novelty box, as would potentially the Native American Civ. I don't know enough about NA history to suggest one, and the last two added across Civ V and VI - Shoshone and Cree - I had never considered.
I've been on board with the Navajo from the southwest region.
I'd honestly like to see Assyria over Babylon though and Colombia. Austria seems unlikelier though, which makes me sad but I could get over it with Italy.

Possible, but there are mechanics that have been included in past civs that are still missing: corporations, vassels, large civs splitting in two, and colonies all come to mind. Any of these could be expanded on like they are doing with climate change and volcanos (which were in Civ III in much simpler form). And people have been asking for an economic victory for years.

If we get more civs after GS, and if the second leaked list is correct, I'm thinking:
Portugal
Byzantium
Maya
Native North American civ (I'd like two more, but doubt we'll see that)
Gran Colombia
Morocco or Berber civ
Vietnam
Australian aboriginal (Ed has hinted he'd like to have one, although their depiction is likely to cause controversy)

If the leaked list is not completely correct and lacks Inca, Ottomans, Mali, or a Polynesian civ, they would be in a hypothetical future expansion.

I leave out Babylon because it was added as a city state in R&F, so would be surprised to see it added, even though it's a classic that should be here already. There are plenty of other interesting and/or deserving civs, as well (Ethiopia, Assyria, Hittites, Italy, Austria, various native North American tribes, etc) but I fear we won't even get a third expansion.

Possible, but there are mechanics that have been included in past civs that are still missing: corporations, vassels, large civs splitting in two, and colonies all come to mind. Any of these could be expanded on like they are doing with climate change and volcanos (which were in Civ III in much simpler form). And people have been asking for an economic victory for years.
Good riddance to some of those things.

Might as well do one for a hypothetical third one:
Portugal- Joao II
Maya- Lady Six Sky
Assyria-Ashurbanipal
Italy- Francesco Sforza
Ethiopia- Ezana
Byzantium- Theodora (I'd prefer a medieval leader like Basil II, but I guess I needed another female)
Austria- Maria Theresa (if Byzantium is in the second expansion)
Colombia-Simon Bolivar
Navajo-Manuelito
Alt Leader- An Egyptian pharaoh that's not Cleopatra

I wish I could fit in Austria but we have a lot of European Civs already and honestly I would prefer them over Hungary or Sweden but oh well. There is a possibility however that Byzantium might be in this expansion over Hungary, so in that case see above. I'm also more partial to Assyria and Babylon is already a city-state, even though if we could get both it would be ideal. I considered Vietnam but I think SEA is fine as is.

Top Bottom