Which civs would you like to see in the possible next expansion?

Me too. Unfortunately, if there is no third expansion, I am not optimistic for both.

I don't know what would motivate Firaxis to leave out the Maya, after them being in the games since Civ3.
I guess I could see them leaving out Ethiopia, because of Nubia. :rolleyes: I could've lived without Nubia being in the game, just to have Ethiopia back.

I don't know what would motivate Firaxis to leave out the Maya, after them being in the games since Civ3.
I guess I could see them leaving out Ethiopia, because of Nubia. :rolleyes: I could've lived without Nubia being in the game, just to have Ethiopia back.
I believe the Maya have a better chance than the Inca if the theme of the expansion does relate to natural disasters and to fill the hole in Central America. We just got the Mapuche but I still want both and don't believe the Mapuche prohibits them at all but maybe delays them.

I think the main argument against the Mughal Empire as a separate Civ is that while the dynasty was distinctly from Central Asia, they also assimilated a great deal of Indian culture into their own over time. It’d be kind of like adding Yuan China as a separate Civ from China or the Mongols; they’re distinct, sure, but not distinct enough to warrant a separate Civ in my opinion.

The ideal solution would naturally be to have Akbar or someone as an alternate leader of India, but since we already have Gandhi and Chandragupta, that seems extremely unlikely. I’d like to see the Mughals represented in Civ in some capacity, but at the same time I don’t want them to take up a Civ spot. There’s too many more distinct and interesting options to choose from still in the pool.

We got Qing as a serious suggestion here, and I agree with that too, though prefer to see Qing being properly distinct.

Romans assimilated Greek culture too (this will almost always be the case for nations that succeed each other in a region). I'm not following why you believe India is so special in this regard that it warrants only having one civ, compared to almost everywhere else where the same argument doesn't apply.

That’s fair. I guess the idea behind Macedon was really just to have Alexander in the game without him taking up a Greek leader spot, given the guy’s influence on both Western and Eastern history (though admittedly more western proport, so the Western bias plays a role for certain). I think Alexander is arguably more historically significant than Akbar, so I don’t see them doing the same for the Mughals. Though I was also against Macedon too, but they’re fun so I’m less salty about it now. If they add the Mughals and they have a unique play style, I’d be cool with it.

For example the defense of Macedon thing doesn't make sense given what you just said :p. I'd be fine with Chola, Delhi, or Bengal too, though the Mughals did manage to conquer more and lasted pretty long compared to the other sultanates in India so if not Mughals I'd probably rather see Chola.

If it wasn't for Europeans (more specificly the British) India would be as fractured as Europe. Even so the subcontinent isn't a single country. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Llanka and the minnows up north aren't part of India.

It's non trivial to predict what happens in India with "no Europeans" invaded. While not nearly as often as China, India has been largely conquered before, both by nations originating inside and outside the continent. It's not completely set on stone that Marathi absent wars with India would stay with their historic height, or that someone else wouldn't fill the role.

India also has two male leaders, Gandhi and Chandragupta. During most of its history, China was ruled by male emperors, and there are many of them far better than Cixi. Big personalities, who led their Empires to glory and prosperity. Cixi might be a big personality and an influental leader, but still, the Qing Empire was in decline, and she did mistakes. She was a conservative Empress, and she overthrew Guangxu Emperor, who attempted to initiate reforms that could transform Qing in similar manner the Meiji Restoration transformed Japan. If it is necessary to give China a female leader, I think Wu Zetian would be better choice than Empress Cixi. She managed to rise from a concubine to Empress, and she was a very good and accomplished one.
Conservative? Funny, since Empress Cixi has been credited with helping to modernize China: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...s-china-empress-dowager-cixi-emperor-guangxu/
She also advocated for Westernization, which is hardly conservative. Actually she was more influential to China's history than Empress Wu.
She started out as a concubine and rose to becoming Empress too, by the way. The fact that China's history was male dominated makes this all the more impressive.

Conservative? Funny, since Empress Cixi has been credited with helping to modernize China: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...s-china-empress-dowager-cixi-emperor-guangxu/
She also advocated for Westernization, which is hardly conservative. Actually she was more influential to China's history than Empress Wu.
She started out as a concubine and rose to becoming Empress too, by the way. The fact that China's history was male dominated makes this all the more impressive.
She was both conservative and reformer and went back and forth on this many times, with some of her Westerized reforms effected only after humiliating defeat by Western powers.

Cixi was never Empress as such, mind you--she was Dowager Empress, not Empress Regnant as Wu Zetian was. Wu was China's first and only Empress regnant. To put it in simpler terms, every emperor's wife was "Empress". But Wu Zetian was China's only female huangdi, or emperor.

Cixi still had lots of power of course, and was basically China's de facto ruler in her time (but including, I might add, the time when China fell to Westerners in the wake of the Boxer Rebellion). Cixi had her accomplishments, but her mistakes are just as public and frequently debated.

A less controversial female leader and de facto ruler of a great power would be Nur Jahan of India (Mughal Empire), who was a great shot and known as a tiger killer among other things. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nur_Jahan For future consideration. Maybe Civ VII.

Last edited:
She was both conservative and reformer and went back and forth on this many times, with some of her Westerized reforms effected only after humiliating defeat by Western powers.

Cixi was never Empress as such, mind you--she was Dowager Empress, not Empress Regnant as Wu Zetian was. Wu was China's first and only Empress regnant. To put it in simpler terms, every emperor's wife was "Empress". But Wu Zetian was China's only female huangdi, or emperor.

Cixi still had lots of power of course, and was basically China's de facto ruler in her time (but including, I might add, the time when China fell to Westerners in the wake of the Boxer Rebellion). Cixi had her accomplishments, but her mistakes are just as public and frequently debated.

A less controversial female leader and de facto ruler of a great power would be Nur Jahan of India (Mughal Empire), who was a great shot and known as a tiger killer among other things. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nur_Jahan For future consideration. Maybe Civ VII.
That's a fair point, but was Empress Wu as influential on China's history as Empress Cixi was? And Empress Wu may have technically had a higher rank, however Empress Cixi had the power of an official Emperor/Empress. Empress Cixi, like most leaders, was obsessed with power, and was quite good at gaining power and keeping it.

I have to say though, she did (for a time) support that nationalistic Boxer Rebellion, which was responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent civilians, and I think she pushed away from supporting them later solely as a political decision.

Nur Jahan sounds like a cool leader choice for a Mughal Empire civ! Hopefully India in Civ VII isn't just one blob civ, like it has been through the game series so far.

That's a fair point, but was Empress Wu as influential on China's history as Empress Cixi was? And Empress Wu may have technically had a higher rank, however Empress Cixi had the power of an official Emperor/Empress. Empress Cixi, like most leaders, was obsessed with power, and was quite good at gaining power and keeping it.
Wu Zetian was an accomplished Empress of China. Culture and economy flourished in Tang Dynasty during her reign. She supported the spread of Taoism and Buddhism. She reformed and improved the Chinese imperial examinations. There were also several military successes (in Korea, for example) during her reign.

Wu Zetian was an accomplished Empress of China. Culture and economy flourished in Tang Dynasty during her reign. She supported the spread of Taoism and Buddhism. She reformed and improved the Chinese imperial examinations. There were also several military successes (in Korea, for example) during her reign.
Didn't she kill her own daughter to gain power? Plus she had a brutal secret police force set up...She was pretty nasty when you think about it.

Also, it's "Dao" not "Tao" (道教 "Dao4 Jiao4"), and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure she only really supported Buddhism.

Didn't she kill her own daughter to gain power? Plus she had a brutal secret police force set up...She was pretty nasty when you think about it.
Not every good leader achieved their success with kindness. For example Qin Shi Huang (unifying China with war + brutality of his reign) or Yongle Emperor (overthrowing his nephew) from Chinese history, and many others from the history of other nations (like Napoleon or Genghis Khan).

Not to mention that Cixi wasn't exactly kind to Guangxu Emperor either, overthrowing him, imprisoning him and probably ordering him to be poisoned before she died.

Also, it's "Dao" not "Tao" (道教 "Dao4 Jiao4"), and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure she only really supported Buddhism.
Taoism and Daoism both mean the same thing and both are accepted variants of spelling. Wikipedia mentions that she supported both Taoism and Buddhism, though her support of Buddhism was bigger.

Not every good leader achieved their success with kindness. For example Qin Shi Huang (unifying China with war + brutality of his reign) or Yongle Emperor (overthrowing his nephew) from Chinese history, and many others from the history of other nations (like Napoleon or Genghis Khan).

Not to mention that Cixi wasn't exactly kind to Guangxu Emperor either, overthrowing him, imprisoning him and probably ordering him to be poisoned before she died.
Too true...I think we will be hard pressed to find a leader who has a clean record. Some are worse than others however.

Taoism and Daoism both mean the same thing and both are accepted variants of spelling. Wikipedia mentions that she supported both Taoism and Buddhism, though her support of Buddhism was bigger.
Daoism was invented in China, and Taoism is a mispronunciation of the Chinese word "Dao".

I don't trust Wikipedia, it's not a reliable source.

Canada! It's been neglected in the Civ serie. If Brazil and Australia are in, why not Canada? We need Canada, USA and at least two aboriginal nations to fill the North American Map.

We need Canada, USA and at least two aboriginal nations to fill the North American Map.
Who are the "we" you talk about?
I get triggered by that because I most definitely don't need Canada in the game (It still is a great country with nice people, but that is besides the point).
I think you mean that you would like Canada and two 2 Native-American tribes, which I then respect. The USA has already been a vanilla civ in every edition of the game though.
For example I want at most the Iroquois but only after the Inca and the Maya are added and there are many, many other preferences people have, including other tribes or no tribes at all.

I have to say though, she did (for a time) support that nationalistic Boxer Rebellion, which was responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent civilians, and I think she pushed away from supporting them later solely as a political decision.

Nur Jahan sounds like a cool leader choice for a Mughal Empire civ! Hopefully India in Civ VII isn't just one blob civ, like it has been through the game series so far.
The influence is debatable--ancient China was a very different world from that of Cixi's Qing Dynasty. Obviously Cixi had more influence on contemporary China, but it could be argued Wu had enormous influence on later dynasties in ancient China which set up later dynasties, etc etc....It's hard to say. But frankly, ancient China was probably a tougher time to be a female in, let alone empress, let alone huangdi.

My choises would be:
Assyria
Ethiopia
Inca
Mali
Mayans
Ottomans

Portugal
Sweden

But in reality I expect some totally new Civs. Based on leaks it seems Maori might be one of them. Also probably one totally new Native American Civ.

The influence is debatable--ancient China was a very different world from that of Cixi's Qing Dynasty. Obviously Cixi had more influence on contemporary China, but it could be argued Wu had enormous influence on later dynasties in ancient China which set up later dynasties, etc etc....It's hard to say. But frankly, ancient China was probably a tougher time to be a female in, let alone empress, let alone huangdi.
I think both situations would have been tough to be a female leader, and in Empress Cixi's case, tough to be the leader of China regardless of gender, so the fact that she was also female made a difficult situation even worse.
I think we could consider the influence of Empress Wu making Buddhism her focused religion, while pushing away from Confucianism and Daoism. That in itself would have had a significant cultural and social effect, changing China in some way.

I'd like a mix of old favourites and new faces but I'm mostly curious rather than concerned, I don't feel particularly strongly about it. More African civs would be nice but I don't mind which. Inca and Maya would be great. Civs I'm not too fussed about: Portgual, Babylon, Byzantium.

I'd like a mix of old favourites and new faces but I'm mostly curious rather than concerned, I don't feel particularly strongly about it. More African civs would be nice but I don't mind which. Inca and Maya would be great. Civs I'm not too fussed about: Portgual, Babylon, Byzantium.
Babylon is one of the most historically influential civs of that time, still holding influence on the world today, and one of the most deserving for a place.

Top Bottom