1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which decade has the most Civfanatics?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Yakodi, Sep 5, 2004.

?

Which decade you're born in?

1. The Thirties (1930-39 and elder)

13 vote(s)
    0.2%
  2. The Forties (1940-49)

77 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. The Fifties (1950-59)

239 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. The Sixties (1960-69)

594 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. The Seventies (1970-79)

1,367 vote(s)
    23.3%
  6. The Eighties (1980-89)

2,293 vote(s)
    39.1%
  7. The Nineties (1990-99)

1,231 vote(s)
    21.0%
  8. The 2000s (2000-2009)

54 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. The 2010s (2010-2019)

2 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

My father is from 1941, and he's an avid Civ V player (though not a poster).

2. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Born 1980, Civ player since 1991.

3. Gjaster

Gjaster Chieftain

Born in 1999, and I got into Civ around 2009, since we were modding it for a beginners programming class, which then consisted of Civ4 and Torchlight. It was the game that got me into PC gaming.

4. elijahtary

elijahtary Chieftain

Born in 1985, been playing Civ reguarly since 2008 in college. I used to play Civ II back in middle school (1998-ish), but got in Starcraft for a long time until I got bored with it.

I'm about 800 hours into CiV, hopefully more than that will be put into Civ VI if it lives up to expectations.

5. crunchyfrog3014

crunchyfrog3014 Chieftain

Ohhhh a bell curve.... Started with CIV I in college (and it made it very hard to graduate) and still playing CIV 4 today, did not like the dumbing down that occurred in CIV V hoping CIV VI will cure some of that.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Well hello crunchyfrog! You joined CFC just after me in late December 2001; I guess as part of the Civ 3 wave of new members. Our user numbers are just a few hundred apart.

7. Mista

Mista Warlord

Yep. born in 1936

8. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

How on earth are we lagging the '80s kids nearly 2:1?

*smacks kids with walking stick*

9. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Kinda unfortunate there is barely any kids playing the game.

I started playing Civ1 as 12 years old, and now less then 50 kids below 16 visit CivFanatics. :(

10. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

This thread moves from forum to forum with each Civ iteration. Many of users answered are not active ones anymore. And I don't think the forum is representative to the people who play the game. For example here in Russia kids are rarely have the necessary level of English to be here. Not to mention kids are unlikely to be interested in our old-timers rants :)

11. m15a

m15a Emperor

Well, I wasn't visiting CivFanatics when I was 12. That's for sure!

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Rekt.

An injury last year gave me a taste of using a cane. Long off that now and back to working out properly, I hope the cane days are behind me for many decades.

Kind of handy to hook semi-distant objects with it, but I don't think carrying it around for fun would leave a good impression.

There is a generational gap with forum stuff too if I'm not mistaken, plus people born in the 90's are pretty young (I say this with envy). Civ games aren't easy for people under the age of 10 to just pick up, let alone think about going onto forums for strategy, having permission from parents to use internet etc. People born in the 2000's and later still have those kinds of barriers in many cases.

13. Birdjaguar

And don't forget that kids today have many more distractions than those ten, fifteen and twenty years ago. Once Civ 6 ships, I expect a new burst of membership that will include more younger folks.

Are there any other good civ forums that are well populated?

14. civvver

civvver Deity

At least in the US pc gaming is not nearly as popular as console gaming, so that contributes a lot to the older crowd too. Younger kids tend to play consoles more.

15. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Steam forums and youtube comments section didn't exist until civ5 Measuring activity via forum activity to Guage success is a fools errand with respect to comparing older civ releases to newer ones.

According to steamspy civ5 has sold through 8.8 million copies with 1 million weekly players.
    http://steamspy.com/app/8930

16. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I started Civ II younger than that! But I didn't join the forum until I was 15

17. Eklabiaan

Eklabiaan Chieftain

This household has three players. Me from the sixties, a daughter from 2002 starting on [civ4] at age 7 and a son from 2009, playing [civ5].
    My daughther's interest in history was kindled (very much) by Civ, knowing the leaders of England, France, ... before the history books.
    Way to go Civ ! :hatsoff:

PS. But her feeling for historical timing is always a bit off. Like 'Augustus is born in 4000 BC'
    :lol:

18. Acken

Acken Deity

Reddit r/civ seems to have a younger and more casual crowd. It also has more activity in general. The quality of discussions is decent although the reddit format is not well fitted to find strategic advices.

People also use the steam forums although i guess it doesnt fit your "good" criteria [emoji14]

19. Birdjaguar

^^^ "Good" is an open standard for me. I am unfamiliar with both the civ forums you mentioned. Reddit has always seemed a bit chaotic to me. and while I do use steam, I have never been to any of their forums. For civ stuff I've always relied on CFC.

20. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Reddit absolutely exploded with Civ 5 which is probably why younger generations are lacking on web forums anymore.