Votes: 2,357 39.0%
  • The Nineties (1990-99)

Votes: 1,273 21.1%
  • The 2000s (2000-2009)

Votes: 68 1.1%
  • The 2010s (2010-2019)

Votes: 3 0.0%

• Total voters
Indeed, I'm struck by the larger number of *written* strategy guides for Civ IV, a smaller number of text / web guides for Civ V, and virtually none for Civ VI. All the best resources for Civ VI are YouTube videos. Forums like this probably hit their zenith in the early 2000s, for people playing games then.

I think they peaked probably between 2005 and 2010. I miss those days. I find that specialized forums tend to be more welcoming and less toxic than social media. But maybe that’s just my rose colored glasses!

I think they peaked probably between 2005 and 2010. I miss those days. I find that specialized forums tend to be more welcoming and less toxic than social media. But maybe that’s just my rose colored glasses!
It's not your rose colored glasses. Forums (or Fora?) like CFC are moderated by people and social media uses much more machinelearning algorithms than people. CFC had/has pretty stricht mods but it realy helps in keeping toxicity down.

For me, the peak was Civ II Gold with the sci-fi and fantasy scenario pack, but I’m sure a lot of that is nostalgia. I still really like the whole “layer” idea from the scenarios and would like to see an updated version in a modern Civ game.

For me, the peak was Civ II Gold with the sci-fi and fantasy scenario pack, but I’m sure a lot of that is nostalgia. I still really like the whole “layer” idea from the scenarios and would like to see an updated version in a modern Civ game.

BUILD! CITY! WALLS!!!

The best part of Civ2 at the time was that council of ministers. I doubt it would be nearly as funny to still have them around since the novelty value of video is long since gone... but I loved them, and still kinda miss them. I didn't get into Civ3 and, in fact, never played 4 or 5 - some sort of life got in the way and I was much more into collaborative online games than combative ones, but now I have so much free time on my hands, Civ6 is a big help with wasting some of it.

For thread purposes, I was 20 when the original came out in 1991.

Similar to Heyesey, I played a lot of Civ 1 and Civ 2, then missed 3 and 4 entirely, but played Civ 5 a lot. In fact I would go back to Civ 5 if it wasn't for the tedious happiness mechanic.

that's the best necroing ever , this thread will never age (unlike us...)

I know the answer to my question would be almost certainly no, but:
is there any history saved on this poll, e.g. can we see what the percentages where 10 years ago?
We might not be able to plot the evolution of audience decade over time but at least we have a real Gaussian distribution , it's nice when natures answers to order :)

:bump: With civ 7 on the way, time for a bump.

After June 9, my age will match my age category. After that many trips around the Sun, I want to go somewhere else.

On the top end of the 80s, myself.

It's fascinating having this thread go back so long, and it confirms my suspicions of a relatively static age of CivFanatics player (of the franchise generally, who bothered to vote :D). It's a very specific spread between the 70s and 90s. We keep on looking back as much as we look forwards, and I do wonder how much of that ties into where we sit on video games generally. We were all ten years younger playing CiV, right? IV was well over fifteen years ago now. And so on, and so forth. So many of us were near grown-up, or literally grown-up, at the time both forums and Civ really peaked (IV being a high point culturally for the franchise, as far as I can work out).

On the top end of the 80s, myself.

It's fascinating having this thread go back so long, and it confirms my suspicions of a relatively static age of CivFanatics player (of the franchise generally, who bothered to vote :D). It's a very specific spread between the 70s and 90s. We keep on looking back as much as we look forwards, and I do wonder how much of that ties into where we sit on video games generally. We were all ten years younger playing CiV, right? IV was well over fifteen years ago now. And so on, and so forth. So many of us were near grown-up, or literally grown-up, at the time both forums and Civ really peaked (IV being a high point culturally for the franchise, as far as I can work out).
Civ 3 and CFC happened about the same time, IIRC. That was the game that the forums focused on in the early years. But, yes, it was the 80s cohort that sustained CFC for many years (still does?). I'm hoping that Civ 7 will show a jump in the later decades.

I started playing the first Civilization on the first PC I bought after doing most of my BA with typewriters. I had a monochrome monitor which was a compromise in getting the quality I wanted with a price I could manage. Given the glare from the old color monitors back then, it was probably a good choice for my eyes given the number of hours in a row I managed to binge on Civilization, during my final (fifth) year which was part-time

I think CivFanatics was a bookmarked site for me since the late 90's, for sure by 2001

There is a nice thread in which you can vote which age you are.
But the problem is that your age is changing and the results of the poll will be getting wrong with the time going on.
So I'd like to see this: From which decade do the most Civplayers come from?
Please vote for the decade of your birth.

This time even with the poll :blush:

As of September 12, 2010 the poll had 3264 votes when it was moved to the Civ 5 forums.
4199 when it was moved to the Civ5 G&K forums, May 27th 2012.
5319 when it was moved to the Civ6 General Discussion Forum, June 5th, 2016.
Some lingering memories from my misty childhood about building pyramids, or hunting mammoths...

No, seriously, I was born in 1976.

I don't think CFC existed as such in the late 90s, but 2001 it did ;).
I didn’t realize CFC was that young. I registered on Apolyton in 2000, but lurked there long before that. I didn’t register at the competition, ie here, before that site devolved into a cesspool of grumpy trolls. :D

Top Bottom