While We Wait: (Almost) Anything Goes

Do you use the paid version or is free sufficient?

If you pay for GIMP you are getting ripped off. There is no such things as a paid version. Its free and open source.

I was referring to "Inkarnate", but thank you for making sure I didn't get scammed!

Oh right that makes much more sense lmao.

Regardless, I agree with erez. I know there's an audience for a simple NES drawing from our complexity from back in high school. Even if it's not as deep as something like EOE, I think a lot of people are craving the good ol' days, and there's always nostalgia to plug the holes of oversimplification. Remember stats sheets like this?

Nation name
Government: Type
Ruler: Name
Religion: State Religion
Technology: Late Bronze Age or whatever
Stability: -3 to +3
Economy: X EP (Shrinking/Stagnant/Growing)
Size: Tiny to Huge
Infrastructure: None to Connected
Military: List of units (EP Upkeep)
M. Quality: Rabble to Juggernaut
Navy: List of ships (EP Upkeep)
N. Quality: Junk to Juggernaut
Culture: Primitive to Cosmopolitan
Wonders: List of wonders
Description: A short history

Plus cities being capitals, trade centres, cultural centres, industrial centres and religious centres, depending on the black city nodes having a white, blue, green, yellow, or red cicle... And then just handwaving mechanical interpretations from then, plus stories giving small bonuses.

I'd play that, at least.

No worries. We'll hopefully I can serve up some of the good old days, without it burning me out with updates that take several days, when some players struggle to spend 2 minutes to write orders each week!

Not sure what you're asking, if it happens, it's going to be on CFC. : ) And a NES.
I was wondering what kind of NES would the map you made will be used for.

I was wondering what kind of NES would the map you made will be used for.
So it's basically "just" a NES in a region, but with nations being run by NPCs. The players starting as individuals in a shared mercenary company under an NPC leader. Where it goes from there is really open - the players may take over the company, split up, conquer stuff and found their own kingdom, take over an established kingdom, or just become a hand in a story somewhere on the map, etc. The story will be character centric and low fantasy in the sense that individuals can become unnaturally competent, but there's no magic. The initial situation is that the players are hired by a nation on the losing side of a massive kingdom conquest. The tone will be overall grim, the first mission is already planned and is asking the players to do something very bleak. I'm aiming for a dark operatic tone, inspired by stuff like Berserk's Golden Age arc, Game of Thrones naturally, stuff like that.

Now I might not do it depending on interest and time, but if it's happening, it's starting in January.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, kinda like a RPG strategy mix. Have you played Kenshi by any chance? Its got a fairly interesting setting.

Haven't read about it, so I'll google it! And yea, starts as an RPG, where eventually players make take over nations. I really don't have an end planned to the game, so! It'd be interesting to see where it goes with the systems I have in mind, haha.

Sun's Torment has just finished its second official update, and its talented mod TheMeanestGuest is looking for a fourth player. If you have a love of early Command and Conquer, 90s mecha anime, and all the associated hilarious and over the top tropes, distilled into a classic NES format, this is the game for you. Essentially you control zones, build buildings, form armies, and then fight things out in turn-based combat where your units occupy frontline, close support, and tactical support roles depending on their type.

The background is essentially that players and NPCs belong to one of the branches of the global government, the World Sphere Authority, or one of the factions of the Church of the New Sun, following a vast series of global wars that defeated the New Sun's Prophet and his dreams of world domination (or liberation, depending on your perspective) as new conflicts begin to rise from the ashes. You receive briefings and missions from your faction each turn, which you can choose to pursue or not.

There is a somewhat high barrier to entry as the rules are a bit complex and the lore is fairly deep, but once you get into it, I find it to be one of the most satisfying and innovative NESes developed in a while. We manage the battles in #nes IRC chat, where we have a dicerolling bot, and it's a good place to come and ask questions if you're interested in playing. If IRC is too archaic for you, you can also ask questions on the Sun's Torment discord channel, which can be found under the projects tab in the NES Discord.

Current map: Church of the New Sun Units: https://i.imgur.com/zyTqY62.png
World Sphere Authority Units: https://i.imgur.com/aCZK3S8.png
Main Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vAMfB-RTjRqZXuLx4qgjXMevIykwldo9u3xwKnkZoYA/edit

Edit: We've found a good candidate now, thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom