While We Wait: (Almost) Anything Goes

@Angst - I'm helping out with Immaculates thing at the moment as a co-mod so it would have to come at a later time (I simply don't have enough time to run or co-run two at once)

Hey everyone, man I thought this place would be an abandoned town with tumbleweeds blowing through. It’s great to see people are still NESing. You guys created something truly amazing here, it really reminds of time when the internet was fun and people used it in creative ways. Anyway, I’m glad to see people are still having fun here.
I always enjoy a Good GodNES

Just gauging interest, but would anyone be interested in a classical "tabula rasa" GodNES if one was started on the thread?

I've thought about giving GMing a second shot a few times after my initial attempt failed due to lack of player interest (and being too soon after Mythopoeia) but seeing TMG's project approaching its initialisation stage (he's started a thread for it on the NES discord) has brought the idea back to the surface. I don't want to start an NES however only to have a dearth of active players again result in its demise ...

I'm interested!

Whats the current position of reviving year-old games? CFC rule-wise?

Whats the current position of reviving year-old games? CFC rule-wise?
I don't have any problems with that. If the game starter is around, you could check with them, if not, go for it and see what happens.

NEW FUN GAME:

Going through old NES threads from years and years ago and 'liking' your favorite posts to see if anyone notices.

Yes, I think I will.

I think one of the major hurdles in a NES is to create a finite world. Otherwise, each turn gains in complexity until it overwhelms the moderator.

I think I will spend the next few months developing and playing a very basic version of an idea I have, with maybe one or two players (if they are out there) before a true launch in 2022.

I think one of the major hurdles in a NES is to create a finite world. Otherwise, each turn gains in complexity until it overwhelms the moderator.

This. Scope is always a problem. Ofc I've made my share of limited setting dead ends, but I have one thing in mind that should be doable. Players will play initially as part of a mercenary band under an NPC captain, but may choose to split up, supercede it, conquer something, whatever, in a low fantasy world heavily inspired by Berserk's Golden Age arc among other stuff. Grimdark, but nothing the forums won't allow ofc. I aim for something darkly operatic. Have a ruleset and setting ready at this point, but need to work on it, plus no time until I finish school.

Work in progress.

EDIT added tentative nation names.

Attachments

• UNGARIA - Borders.jpg
    UNGARIA - Borders.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 57
  • UNGARIA - Borders(1).jpg
    UNGARIA - Borders(1).jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Oooh thats pretty! What are you using to make that?

I am afraid my map will be MSPaint and much like those back in in the day!

Oooh thats pretty! What are you using to make that?

I am afraid my map will be MSPaint and much like those back in in the day!

Was kinda lazy (again, workload) so used Inkarnate. Very easy to make reasonably nice maps quickly. Bad for multiple layers of policy and such.

I think the classical MSPaint style is far superior when it comes to NESes (although I've switched to GIMP for easier layering when I do it, still superior style.)

Last edited:
Free Gimp is pretty robust.

Do you use the paid version or is free sufficient?
Free.

All you need is 1.5 pixel pencil for coastlines/rivers, 1 pixel pencil for like cities, fill tool, select by color and layers. All present in free version, and crazy amount of features beyond. I didn't even know there was a paid version.

EDIT: Added a NES map that died because of overcomplication + massive update doc sync mistake that wiped out my work. The above notes for my style is what I think I used for it. Good thing about layers for example is that you can copy the white inland into a new layer, then select white by color on the new layer and just PAINT polities easily on the land, without having to take care by coasts and such. Much faster, and just as pretty.

Attachments

• Turn 0 Polities.png
    Turn 0 Polities.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Top Bottom