1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who have never played Colonization?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Thunderfall, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

You must all be young pups then! I got it for my first computer, a 386 when I was 12! :)

2. MsKitty

MsKitty Chieftain

Goodness! I had no idea so many Civ "fans" hadn't played Colonization. It was a GREAT game. I can't wait to make my Master Sugar Planter and Rum Distiller economies again. :cool:

3. PsiCorps

PsiCorps FF: Babylon 5 mod team

Having read more about the original Colonization i now know why i never heard about it, i was still in the military and spent more time drinking, roleplaying and chasing the girls than anything else. At least it wasn't down to an age related memory lapse :lol:

4. volbound1700

volbound1700 Emperor

I have it right now, if you look hard enough you can find it for free online (although I had the original game back in the mid-90s, I got it when I was in 6th grade).

5. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

I have never played it, I did play Civ I & III only a few times, Civ II & IV I played a lot

6. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

It was before my time. :p I got my first computer in 1997, and started playing Civ2 (and HoMM2) that same year. :)

7. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I played it and loved it. You have a treat awaiting you, if, as seems clear, they have done away with some clunky features in the original game.

I still play the original "Colonization from time to time, despite the clunkiness. By the way, I do hope they keep at least some of the original music.

8. Mehmed II

Mehmed II Ottoman Empire

I have played FreeCol.

9. leo.

leo. Monkey Monster

Colo was one of my favourite games its time and i played it for hours.

I really love to see a new version of it and i hope it will be as great as the old one was when it came out. I'm sure it's more than a civ4 mod only.

I'm just waiting for the next version of Alpha Centauri & Crossfire, which were also fantasic games with an awesome depth, theres a civ4 mod for it (Planetfall) but afaik it's not finished yet and can't reach SMAC at this time.

10. Arian

Arian No more ghostbusting!!

I've played it quite a lot, a long time ago....

11. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I never played it. I wasn't even aware of it at the time.

I am looking forward to owning and playing it now.

12. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Prince

I didn't get in to Civ until Civ II was out, so this will be a new experience for me.

13. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I've played it. A great game, though marred by micromanagement.

14. Creepster

Creepster Silent Service

OK I am feeling old now, but this re-release has gotten me excited again for this game. I remeber playing Civ 1 when it first came out and Colonization was a great extension of the "just one more turn" from Sid. Just to let you know how much fun it is I still play it on an old DOS based machine I have. Some of the best games ever made are the older ones Railroad tycoon, Master of Orion, and of course Civ and Colonization. I just hope it is as good or close to the original. Then perhaps I can retire my DOS machine and get rid of those damn 5 1/4 discs. :)

15. sluggish_homer

sluggish_homer Chieftain

i have played it but that was ages ago:))
    but still prefer civ.

16. Esckey

Esckey Deity

gah now I really feel old. I can remember playing Colonization and Civ 1 and Simcity 1 and Railroad Tycoon for days when I was younger

17. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

Well i don't think i have, i remember years ago playing some game about colonizing the new world but i don't think it was it. I am excited about this though.

18. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Prince

Nah we were the pioneers. Can't believe how few people in here played this... Would have expected that there would be a lot more.

You not alone though, I also played all those games on my old old machines. Must be on my 2nd or 4rd pc or so. First "computer" had no HD a oh so tiny memory, 5,25 discs and a tiny black and green monitor. Also it cost way more then a grade A gaming machine does now :D That was only 22 years back or so... what were you guys doing? :)

Maybe you played: Conquest of the New World? http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/conquest-of-the-new-world-deluxe-edition Was a decent game, but not nearly as good as Colonization though imo.

19. TheRealCzar

TheRealCzar Chieftain

I remember reading reviews of Civ1 and Colonisation, but was extremely underwhelmed. I was big into Dune 2 at the time and thought it was the game to end all games, why take a step backwards into turnbased?

Eventually a friend prevailed on me to try Civ2 and i've never been longer than a month or so without some form of civ ever since.

20. TheRealCzar

TheRealCzar Chieftain