Who should Democrats run in 2024?

If a large number of working class voters find populist candidates more appealing than establishment candidates regardless of partisan affiliation, shouldn't that be an opportunity rather than a problem? If Rogan is the guy who could bring in these voters- and I'm not pretending that he is, I'm not insane, but let's entertain the hypothetical- then couldn't the potential merits of a candidacy be reasonably explored?
Sure! But like you, I don't think Rogan is that candidate. Not by a long shot, hah.

If a large number of working class voters find populist candidates more appealing than establishment candidates regardless of partisan affiliation, shouldn't that be an opportunity rather than a problem? If Rogan is the guy who could bring in these voters- and I'm not pretending that he is, I'm not insane, but let's entertain the hypothetical- then couldn't the potential merits of a candidacy be reasonably explored?
An opportunity in what sense?

If you have to explain [a slogan] you've already lost.
Totally agree. I didn't "get" Defund The Police on face value, even though now that I understand it I support the idea behind it. But, even though I now understand its meaning, I'd never use that phrase to advocate for it. It could be up for "Worst Marketing Slogan Ever", only rivalled by "New Coke".

wb tf

how is Newsom doing out in California? If he and Cuomo didn't have problems I would have put them in the top 3. If he's recovered from the recall and disasters he could compete with DeSantis

An opportunity in what sense?
An opportunity to draw in working class voters who lack consistent partisan allegiances. This was what gave Trump the narrow margins he needed to win in 2016, and while the outcome of 2016 might be considered a bit of a fluke, it tends to suggest that there is something to be gained in appealing to those voters rather than battling over the minority of affluent suburban independents.

But they're no gentlemen.

Just look at Manchin stinkin' up the big tent now.

;)

I mostly jest. Door is back over there, I know I know.

Buttigieg FTW.

It took us non-Anglos quite a time to learn how to say his name, and just when we were all poised to enjoy years of juvenile humor about it, he pulled out of the race.

He owes-a us-a.

I dont think anyone in this administration will be considered, especially Pete after the transportation and supply chain meltdowns.

That leaves a governor or local pol, actually the Dems have a guy running for Senator in Pennsylvania who fits the working man profile, John Fetterman I think is his name. He was on Bill Maher's show long ago when he was a small town mayor.

But they're no gentlemen.

Just look at Manchin stinkin' up the big tent now.

;)

I mostly jest. Door is back over there, I know I know.
Lmfao get ooouutta here

I like him. He's too conservative for me, which gives me a wisp of credulity here in this thread, but yea - you guys and your right side of the street politics. Which is not of course to make light of history, but I know what vibe it is. "You all" annihilated my congressional district - literally the most moderate Republican in the country. So... if I were a rational man - I suppose straight ticket strategic voting at whatever damages the Democrats the most is almost a moral responsibility for an inhabitant of my patch of dirt.

Either way. Give Manchin a break. You need him. Maybe ya'll would get more stuff done if you all were more like him. Contact hitters get runs. Big morons with fancy sticks should be put to work swinging at trees.

Edit: not you you. and not guys guys. but. I get tired of phrasing everything in everybody's sensibilities all the time. So please read some grace in. I might be drunk. Either way. Positives! Wheeeee.

Last edited:
Farm Boy come into the Sneech machine and get your star swapped so we can share one beach

We can share that right now.

You silly goose.

Edit: you called me a priest to your death knight, once. Might as well live up to it.

I dont think anyone in this administration will be considered, especially Pete after the transportation and supply chain meltdowns.

That leaves a governor or local pol, actually the Dems have a guy running for Senator in Pennsylvania who fits the working man profile, John Fetterman I think is his name. He was on Bill Maher's show long ago when he was a small town mayor.

Na gotta be from California or New York to lock those states down!!!

I like him. He's too conservative for me, which gives me a wisp of credulity here in this thread, but yea - you guys and your right side of the street politics. Which is not of course to make light of history, but I know what vibe it is. "You all" annihilated my congressional district - literally the most moderate Republican in the country. So... if I were a rational man - I suppose straight ticket strategic voting at whatever damages the Democrats the most is almost a moral responsibility for an inhabitant of my patch of dirt.

Either way. Give Manchin a break. You need him. Maybe ya'll would get more stuff done if you all were more like him. Contact hitters get runs. Big morons with fancy sticks should be put to work swinging at trees.

Edit: not you you. and not guys guys. but. I get tired of phrasing everything in everybody's sensibilities all the time. So please read some grace in. I might be drunk. Either way. Positives! Wheeeee.

Manchin won't win nomination but might be a good candidate to win.

Define. 1) yes, he won't win nomination. 2) He would be a terrible candidate to win the nomination for the Democrats, they like him in West Virginia, and the Republicans and the moderates don't hate him, but the CA/NY? Oh man. They don't like him, I don't think. They can correct me, or give impressions, if I'm off the spot. At least that's how it seems from here. 3) Good candidate to win? Like, could he actually maybe be an effective candidate if he won? Yes, possibly. You might get that once in a generation american president that has enough appeal to break a filibuster along with a friendly legislature(after the rebound of getting demolished in 2022) to actually get the quietly stupid horsehocky done that most people agree on, yet their future-told "legacy" winds up being poo? Sure. I might take that argument, but it's optimistic.

We can share that right now.

You silly goose.

Edit: you called me a priest to your death knight, once. Might as well live up to it.

Whoa whoa whoa hold on, you were just arguing the paladin was a cleric that took the path of evil away from being a proper crusading cleric and hero. And dark knight is an aesthetic, death knight is an evil npc monster! Dark Knight is Cecil, Captain of the Redwings and defier of evils kings, on his quest to train his way to the sword of light. Dark Knight is my heavily armored playmobil with dragon shields who looked more badass than the other knights. Dark knight is someone with a character arc.

Spoiler old quotes :

I feel like this is a bit similar to those D&D derivative games where you have your characters start as one class and then you reach a growth plateau and can branch into (or are forced into) the next level of class, with some being more traditional and some being weirder. Like you start as Fighter and could swap to Knight, Barbarian, or Hunter, and from there split further to Paladin, Dark Knight, Spell Blade, Berserker, Ranger, Dragoon, Armiger etc.

I feel like I'm watching first, second, and third order classes battle for martial supremacy by virtue of being either further advanced or by being on a better/preferred track but untested.

(Dark Knight hero ftw)

Psch. The analogy was good, but bear in mind it was written by somebody who chose a brittle, numbers based class primarily suited for entropy and attack. A parasite class that has just enough complication to know it used to be something better before it chose to become something less. You know, the sort of character class that shines really brightly when played by a good roleplayer when trodding through a second rate campaign, but can really only serve augment the truly great roleplayers who've selected characters capable of greater depth when written into a truly quality universe.

>.>

<.<

>.>

I love you Hygro.

In any event, if the Republican party is so rightward the democrats have filled past your right and the moderates can't win against the kakistocrats and fascists in the other districts, maybe the enemy isn't the democratic party gaining seats against them.1 Maybe your friends are the democratic party. Especially if you participate in your local democratic party.

one of us one of us

1) And if you think we need Manchin, I agree, for the same reason we need more seats. Manchin is great, we can ignore him and thank him for his caucus value.

thats true, its just people gravitate toward executives for nominees and those were the two top dogs in the party

I don't think state origin matters exceptaybeva nominee from a purple state.

This applies to both parties. Trump's was from New York but I don't think anyone expected him to carry it in 2016.
Not that he needed it.

Last edited:
A death knight is a monster and a player. One and the same. I admit I was mistaken about what we were talking about. Id have been thinking EQ and WoW. Or like Lord Soth. Either way, "Lay on Hands" is "Harm Touch" for this intent.

I'm from Illinois. Who wins is all about cracking and packing. The only blame possible is on the people who plan it out. Then they don't fund soil and water. And they flat tax. And they fee tax. Yes, I am intimately familiar with the death knight party and its decades of supermajorities. At 40, the gaslight along this line is no longer possible, even if mistaken and with good intention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom