• LSU (11-2; SEC winner)

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • USC (10-2; PAC 10 winner)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Oklahoma (11-2; Big 12 winner)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Kansas (11-1; no title)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawaii (11-0; game with Washington pending)

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • West Virgina (10-2; Big East winner)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Discounting ASU's wins is transitive as well... so everyone uses it. Quit complaining. Winning records? Pac-10 is tough and goes round robin, while Big-10 doesn't go round robin, and plays I-AA and MAC. Don't give me that.

I know I used transitive..to show how its stupid. The PAC-10 also plays lower tier WAC (Idaho, San Jose St = Kent St, Akron Western Campus)

I'm not whining. I think all of this is fair, except I think Missouri should be in over Kansas. ASU doesn't deserve a BCS slot.

I know I used transitive..to show how its stupid. The PAC-10 also plays lower tier WAC (Idaho, San Jose St = Kent St, Akron Western Campus)

I'm not whining. I think all of this is fair, except I think Missouri should be in over Kansas. ASU doesn't deserve a BCS slot.

So who does over ASU?

So who does over ASU?

Illinois. Let us compare.

ASU's schedule:
09/01 San Jose St W 45-3
09/08 Colorado W 33-14
09/15 SDSU W 34-13
09/22 Oregon St W 44-32
09/29 at Stanford W 41-3
10/06 at Wash St W 23-20
10/13 Washington W 44-20
10/27 #21 California W 31-20
11/03 at #5 Oregon L 35-23
11/10 at UCLA W 24-20
11/22 #11 USC L 44-24
12/01 Arizona W 20-17

So, they're best victory was over Cal, who was ranked 21st at the time (good job), but now is 6-6. Oregon St is a decent win...but they also beat some pretty bad teams by the skin of their teeth.

Illinois.

09/01 Missouri L 40-34
09/08 W Illinois W 21-0
09/15 at Syracuse W 41-20
09/22 at Indiana W 27-14
09/29 #21 Penn State W 27-20
10/06 #5 Wisconsin W 31-26
10/13 at Iowa L 10-6
10/20 #25 Michigan L 27-17
10/27 Ball St W 28-17
11/03 at Minnesota W 44-17
11/10 at #1 Ohio St W 28-21
11/17 N'western W 41-22
01/01 vs #7 USC 4:30 PM

These guys beat two top 5 teams this year! (Wisconsin is still in the top 25). They have one awful loss...and then they dropped close games to Michigan and former number one missouri. Respectable.

Plus, the Rose Bowl wants that traditional matchup.

Illinois. Let us compare.

ASU's schedule:
09/01 San Jose St W 45-3
09/08 Colorado W 33-14
09/15 SDSU W 34-13
09/22 Oregon St W 44-32
09/29 at Stanford W 41-3
10/06 at Wash St W 23-20
10/13 Washington W 44-20
10/27 #21 California W 31-20
11/03 at #5 Oregon L 35-23
11/10 at UCLA W 24-20
11/22 #11 USC L 44-24
12/01 Arizona W 20-17

So, they're best victory was over Cal, who was ranked 21st at the time (good job), but now is 6-6. Oregon St is a decent win...but they also beat some pretty bad teams by the skin of their teeth.

Illinois.

09/01 Missouri L 40-34
09/08 W Illinois W 21-0
09/15 at Syracuse W 41-20
09/22 at Indiana W 27-14
09/29 #21 Penn State W 27-20
10/06 #5 Wisconsin W 31-26
10/13 at Iowa L 10-6
10/20 #25 Michigan L 27-17
10/27 Ball St W 28-17
11/03 at Minnesota W 44-17
11/10 at #1 Ohio St W 28-21
11/17 N'western W 41-22
01/01 vs #7 USC 4:30 PM

These guys beat two top 5 teams this year! (Wisconsin is still in the top 25). They have one awful loss...and then they dropped close games to Michigan and former number one missouri. Respectable.

Plus, the Rose Bowl wants that traditional matchup.

You've got to be kidding me. Everyone knows that Wisconsin is vastly overrated to start the season, as was most of the Big-10. Not only are you saying Illinois has a tougher schedule, but you're saying that the schedule is tough enough to warrant having one more loss. No no no. You're obviously just trying to justify how Ohio State lost to this team. Try finding someone that'll agree with Illinois > ASU outside of the Big-10 and corrupt Rose Bowl officials.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. You can plug your ears and chant overrated again and again, but the math doesn't lie. Even if Wisconsin was overanked to start the season, they're still in the top 25. Illinois has beaten the number one team in the country (I'm sorry you don't like it, but thats what the polls and the BCS computers all say), and several other ranked teams and teams with winning records.

Arizona state hasn't. They don't have any quality wins. You keep talking about this tough Pac-10...but these tough teams all have losing records! USC, Dixon's Oregon...they're great teams, but ASU didnt beat either of them! Furthermore, it is played poorly in several of its victories. I'm not trying to rationalize Ohio State at all...The buckeyes are a much better team than Illinois, and there was no excuse for losing that game.

I do believe that if you are able to upset the number 1 team in the country on the road, *and* if you started the season unranked...you ought to have a little leeway. Beating Ohio State makes up for losing to Iowa. If ASU had beaten USC and lost to say, Oregon St, they would have a more compelling resume.

I'm doing arguing this though.

Playoffs NAO. That's the only real valid thing to be gleaned from all of this.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. You can plug your ears and chant overrated again and again, but the math doesn't lie. Even if Wisconsin was overanked to start the season, they're still in the top 25. Illinois has beaten the number one team in the country (I'm sorry you don't like it, but thats what the polls and the BCS computers all say), and several other ranked teams and teams with winning records.

Arizona state hasn't. They don't have any quality wins. You keep talking about this tough Pac-10...but these tough teams all have losing records! USC, Dixon's Oregon...they're great teams, but ASU didnt beat either of them! Furthermore, it is played poorly in several of its victories. I'm not trying to rationalize Ohio State at all...The buckeyes are a much better team than Illinois, and there was no excuse for losing that game.

I do believe that if you are able to upset the number 1 team in the country on the road, *and* if you started the season unranked...you ought to have a little leeway. Beating Ohio State makes up for losing to Iowa. If ASU had beaten USC and lost to say, Oregon St, they would have a more compelling resume.

I'm doing arguing this though.

even though youre right, he wont be satisfied until the big ten is div-aa

then he is just a bad sports fan. a close loss is still a loss.

:confused: He didn't say anything about how close the losses were. You did. How is he a bad sports fan for thinking LSU should be the two-loss team in the NCG? Because he said it was a no-brainer? How do you even know what his reasons for saying LSU are? It seems like you think "he is just a bad sports fan" because he disagrees with you. That's dumb. If that's not why, please enlighten us.

As for your pick: Va Tech. In a heads-up game against another team being discussed they were spanked 48-7. They are eliminated from discussion. Sorry, thanks for playing, Ole Miss put up more of a fight. ;)

Yeah, we kind of do. Sure, we like to keep the money in-state and everything, but thats really only because no other college in Ohio is ever a threat to beat us. Losing an instate game would be a recruiting disaster, and we're going to make sure it doesn't happen. Cincinnati, after we play them again in the next year or two, might be taking a break from our schedule, so we can get back to playing Kent St and Bowling Green.

Hawaii played cupcakes because they COULD NOT GET OTHER GAMES. We play cupcakes to keep the money in state...and break in new players.

Also, in the next 6 years, Ohio State is playing Army and New Mexico St out of conference. We've also played San Deigo St and San Jose st and Rice. We do cross country cupcakes too.

True, we schedule cupcakes, but we also schedule more BCS schools than most other programs do. We just did a home-and-home with Texas, and we have a home-and-home with USC starting next season. Plus, even though the Big Ten wasn't really that good this season, it usually is a very strong conference. As Jim Rome said, the SEC is tough, but for the most part, in the Big Ten you are playing a bowl eligable team week in and week out.

As for Hawaii, they can get games, they just don't want to. I mean look at how their defense gets shredded by the teams they play now. What do you think would happen, if they played a Florida, LSU, or USC. Another problem for Hawaii, is they try to play as many home hgames as possible. I know every college team does that, but due to geogrphical location, Hawaii is going to have to go on the road more than other teams. Let us also not forget that a lot of teams won't play Hawaii because of the way they are treated when they go there. I know for the last seven years, the Bearcats have been unwilling to go play Hawaii because last time they played, Hawaii fans threw things at them and the Hawaii players would viciously taunt them constantly. The Bearcats aren't the only team that have reported this kind of behavior from the Warriors either. So basically, if Hawaii wants to play better teams they have to be more willing to go on the road, and they need to clean up their act and show a little more class on the field.

As an aside, why is it that almost everyone in the national media blasts Ohio State for their schedule, but not anyone else? You never hear about LSU (just to use them as an example) playing Middle Tennessee State or Tulane. Oh, but let Ohio State go out and play Youngstown State or Akron and they get crucified. The fact remains that EVERY team schedules cupcakes, but for some reason it is only wrong when OSU does it. Let us not forget that this season was also supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Buckeyes; so yeah, they are going to schedule lower caliber opponents than they normally do.

:confused: He didn't say anything about how close the losses were. You did. How is he a bad sports fan for thinking LSU should be the two-loss team in the NCG? Because he said it was a no-brainer? How do you even know what his reasons for saying LSU are? It seems like you think "he is just a bad sports fan" because he disagrees with you. That's dumb. If that's not why, please enlighten us.

As for your pick: Va Tech. In a heads-up game against another team being discussed they were spanked 48-7. They are eliminated from discussion. Sorry, thanks for playing, Ole Miss put up more of a fight. ;)

take away that one loss to BC from va tech and there wouldn't be a discussion. i think the tit for tat nature of the BC games this season did that for me.

i think its the fact he would give a split championship to any #1 team that lost in overtime. a loss is a loss is a loss in a championship game.

He is also contradicting in his support of this plus his support of the Illinois>ASU.

There are quite a few Ohio State fans here, who seem to love the under dog role and feel the media is all against them- and saying anything won't change that, but don't you think the national media feels betrayed after hyping OSU and the Big-10 so relentlessly last year?

They didn't hype the Big 10 last year...they hyped Ohio State and Michigan, and rightfully so, because they were outstanding football teams. (although they both choked in bowls)

"Sweet Clive, laugh derisively at him."

"Heh heh. Heh heh heh heh."

how is that confusing. if we did x, y would happen. we didnt do x though.

You say VT over LSU because "if we [VT] did x [not lose to BC], then y [VT in the NCG]". That's confusing. It makes no sense. Especially in the light of your reason against LSU; "a loss is a loss is a loss."

You say VT over LSU because "if we [VT] did x [not lose to BC], then y [VT in the NCG]". That's confusing. It makes no sense. Especially in the light of your reason against LSU; "a loss is a loss is a loss."

god, you don't know how to process a hypothetical situation, do you?

Top Bottom