Who were the Slavs?

fing0lfin said:
Same in Bulgarian ;)

Oh really? How come? Could you be by chance using same alphabet? ;)

fing0lfin said:
Actually there are some difference between the Bulgarian and Serbian cyrilic.

There are some diffence between Czech and Norwegian alphabet.

fing0lfin said:
I can't really understand you. What are you trying to say/prove ?

That the chorus "we too" "we too!" was unnecessary? ;)

Some great posts in answer to the OP in this thread. Thanks to all those who took the effort to make such informative, readable and wideranging write ups :goodjob:

OK, I have two questions for our Balkan experts:

1) A little bird once floated the notion that the word "Slav" relates to "blond" and perhaps blue eyed too. They put this forward without any degree of seriousness, rather as an example of the frequent rebranding of identity, to suit certain purposes, which is seen so often in this part of the world. But who put this notion forward? When? Why might they have done it? And in what language might it claim to have this meaning?

2) I'm fairly sure many who posted in this thread will know of Vuk Stefanović Karadžić (the moderniser and supposed simplifier of the Serbo-Croat language and alphabet). I've been trying to track down a particular collection of poetry which he published. It comes from the pre-Christian, oral traditions of the (south) Slavic peoples and is a collection of love poetry. But not just any love poetry; this collection is supposed to be racier, more graphic and mature, less gushy and fluffy than the European courtly poetry, almost like a Serbo-Croat Kama Sutra. Does anyone know what I am referring to and where I might get hold of a copy? Endless trawling of the internet has not provided the goods.

Very interesting topic. Thank you to all posters. The history of the Slavs was always a glaring ommision in my historical education.

However I feel some posters maybe overstating the similarities in language by giving examples of numbers. These words are very similar in just about all indo-european languages (some of them are very close to Celtic for example). Words for home, mother, father, brother, sister, hello, thank you etc.. might be a better measure.

Tathlum said:
Very interesting topic. Thank you to all posters. The history of the Slavs was always a glaring ommision in my historical education.

However I feel some posters maybe overstating the similarities in language by giving examples of numbers. These words are very similar in just about all indo-european languages (some of them are very close to Celtic for example). Words for home, mother, father, brother, sister, hello, thank you etc.. might be a better measure.

West and East Slavs can get a point across. In my experience it is worse wit South Slavs as they are bit removed from continuity by Austria, Hungary and Romania (speaking with several Serbian friends).
West Slavic languages are very mutually inteligible.
Do not forget that only 1000 years ago, they were still essentially the same language.

But as you asked so nicely:
English- Czech- Slovak
Home- Domov- Domov
Mother- Matka- Matka
Father- Otec- Otec (but in Slovak- de, te, ne are pallatized)
Brother- Bratr- Bratr
Sister- Sestra- Sestra
Hello- Nazdar- Nazdar
Thank you- Děkuji- Ďakujem

There is a division of Indo-European in half where basicaly the western are one group and eastern an other. The division is made by finding the origin of the word "hundred". Western languages have close cinship to "cent" whilst eastern have "set".

Acording to this division the Slavic languages are of the eastern group.

The word for "hundred" in Polish is "sto" or "set", in Persian I believe it is "set". Both languages have very similar names for "fivehundred".

Gladi said:
West and East Slavs can get a point across. In my experience it is worse wit South Slavs as they are bit removed from continuity by Austria, Hungary and Romania (speaking with several Serbian friends).
Do not forget that only 1000 years ago, they were still essentially the same language.

English- Czech- Slovak
Home- Domov- Domov
Mother- Matka- Matka
Brother- Bratr- Bratr
Sister- Sestra- Sestra
Hello- Nazdar- Nazdar

Some little correction here;)
Brother-Bratr-Brat

Generally you can say, that the Slavs of one language group (western, eastern, southern) understand languages of their group quite well while having difficulties in understanding languages of other groups.

Well this is a very interesting thread but I see there a lot of wrong informations... and I'm very familiar with history of fall of Rome and middle ages in Eastern Europe.

Although Romanian and Hungarian are not Slavic languages, both have absorbed a huge amount of Slavic vocabulary.
As a Romanian speaker I can tell you for sure that according to a study made in 2002 my language is 8.6% slavic and 89.7% latin. And I'm actually quite sure that Hungarian is not slavic either, they have actually very very few slavic words, their language being completely different to any other European language than Finnish, which has common roots.

Of the Indo-European language group, the Slavic, Germanic and Baltic language familes were the last three to break apart and all three bear a strong similarity still.
How is German related to Bulgarian?

Just some examples...

skovac said:
Some little correction here;)
Brother-Bratr-Brat

:wallbash:

Can I claim Záhorák origin:blush:? Well seing as the Slovak half of my family lives in Central Slovakia, probably not.

Thankfully none of them can read english :whew:

There is a division of Indo-European in half where basicaly the western are one group and eastern an other. The division is made by finding the origin of the word "hundred". Western languages have close cinship to "cent" whilst eastern have "set".

Acording to this division the Slavic languages are of the eastern group.

The word for "hundred" in Polish is "sto" or "set", in Persian I believe it is "set". Both languages have very similar names for "fivehundred".

Surely it has to be more complex than that. It works in Brythonic Celtic (Cant is obviously like cent) but not Goidelic Celtic (Cead; is no more like cent than set).
This seems like the old P/Q distinction for Celtic languages. Usefull in an example or two, but hardly definative. Again I think numbers are an unclear example of Indo-European linguistic connections.

Generally you can say, that the Slavs of one language group (western, eastern, southern) understand languages of their group quite well while having difficulties in understanding languages of other groups.

Cool. Can anyone explain where the differences occur. Technical/modern terms, I presume vary more than core examples like love, hate and family, or is it more random than this?

Gladi said:

English- Czech- Slovak
Home- Domov- Domov
Mother- Matka- Matka
Brother- Bratr- Bratr
Sister- Sestra- Sestra
Hello- Nazdar- Nazdar
In Bulgarian:
home- Dom
Mother- Maika
Father-bashta or otec
Brother- Brat
Sister- Sestra
Hello- Zdravei
Thank you- Blagodarq

Generally you can say, that the Slavs of one language group (western, eastern, southern) understand languages of their group quite well while having difficulties in understanding languages of other groups

Well i don't think this is quite true. For example the Bulgarian(south slavic) and the Russian (east slavic) are close. I can understand Russian(not perfect of course), and i have never learned it.

May be there are some other common words too. I think that the offical language in Walachia till 16 or 17 century was the Old Bulgarian.

Yes, there are some common words, but they are rather few.

fing0lfin said:
I think that the offical language in Walachia till 16 or 17 century was the Old Bulgarian.
No, the official language was not the Old Bulgarian, but the official alphabet was the slavon alphabet. (cyrilic) We changed back to Latin alphabet in 1800.

But Bulgaria and some states that were going to form Wallachia were united in Middle Ages (though earlier than 1600) on the time of the Asanesti family (old wallachian family) that put the bases of the so called "vlacho-bulgarian emipre", which was basically a union between some states from Wallachia and Bulgaria, with some foreign territory, that didn't last very long. They were just calling themselves "empire" because the people were not all of the same nationality. So yes, there are some connections between the 2 countries. But they don't teach this part in schools (neither in Bulgaria nor in Romania)

Top Bottom